1972 Dodge Colt

-
So sometimes when you spend too much time in left field you go a little crazy.
I think I might be there.
Resized_20230412_153136.jpeg

Resized_20230412_153120.jpeg

I see the choke horn has been cut off. Any list number stamped on the side? Should be a 3160 but there were two cfm ratings. 950cfm and 1050cfm going from memory.

Looking at pics online, I guess those didn’t have choke horns. The choke flap was installed right at the base of the air horn with a weird hinge type deal.

Last edited:
Yes there are 2 versions, I have 1 of each versions of the Holley 3 barrel carbs the 950 with the boosters in the secondaries, and a 1050 that has dump tubes in the secondaries instead of boosters. When you look at the secondaries you will see that the boosters and main air bleeds are closer together than the primaries. The rear gasket, metering plate and gasket, and diaphragm for the vacuum pod are all one offs for the 3 barrels only and are getting harder to find.

Glad you guys know what it is!
Carb man thought it was a 950 from just talking about it.
You can see where the rivets for the air flap were removed.
When I got it an "ELCO" gear drive kit was on it and extra shooters to the secondary.
It has a rebuilder tag on it, I don't see numbers.

I will see what the 650 comes back looking and working and might give him the 3 barrel to clean up.

Are those holes in the back of the choke horn where the shooter went through? I think I remember those.

Yes there are 2 versions, I have 1 of each versions of the Holley 3 barrel carbs the 950 with the boosters in the secondaries, and a 1050 that has dump tubes in the secondaries instead of boosters. When you look at the secondaries you will see that the boosters and main air bleeds are closer together than the primaries. The rear gasket, metering plate and gasket, and diaphragm for the vacuum pod are all one offs for the 3 barrels only and are getting harder to find.
Do you have any extra parts?

I see the choke horn has been cut off. Any list number stamped on the side? Should be a 3160 but there were two cfm ratings. 950cfm and 1050cfm going from memory.
3916=the 950 and 4604=the 1050.

I remember reading magazines back in the day and Baldwin Motion was using 950 three barrels on their BBC engines. I'm pretty sure they used the mechanical secondary conversion as well.

Hyper pak, sorry but no I don't have anything for them. My 950 needs to be gone completely through. The 1050 I changed out the metering plate on the secondaries to a metering block off an 850 parts carb. By epoxying the top portion of the main air bleed circuit and using a dremel tool to reroute the fuel for the boosters and air for the main air circuit on the metering block and punching new holes in the gasket, it worked out great and easier to jet. Then the vacuum pod went south, so I replaced it with a Quick Fuel adjustable vacuum pod. I let a buddy of mine barrow it last summer to tryout and see if the smaller Quick Fuel pod will work with the larger butterfly valve, but he has not tried it yet.

Non-slant guru question.......

Is there a performance oriented 2bbl manifold that would accept a 4412 Holley with a minimum of hassles?

My thoughts are that a smaller carb would probably make it easier to get the starting line drama sorted out.

Is there a performance oriented 2bbl manifold that would accept a 4412 Holley with a minimum of hassles?

My thoughts are that a smaller carb would probably make it easier to get the starting line drama sorted out.
There’s a bit of “guru” in that last statement.

The Clifford intake manifold has a Holley 2 bbl plate available. Also Aussie speed also has a Manifold adaptable for either 2 or 4 bbl

Worked on some odd stuff this weekend.
I cleaned a rocker shaft, man that thing was bad.
If you "rebuild" a slant and don't clean the inside of the shaft, you are looking for problems.

Old school Gotha Rocker Arms.

20230415_154724.jpg

20230415_170429.jpg

20230415_201136.jpg

Carb is back from rebuild.
Mounted it on my custom built intake.

I am going to MOKAN next week with the Weber intake.
Hoping that tuning the clutch tamer will make it go down the track.

650 Double Pump (1).jpg

650 Double Pump (9).jpg

650 Double Pump (10).jpg

650 Double Pump (11).jpg

Back from Mokan.
First time for quarter mile runs.
I got lucky and made it to the final round where I red lighted.
Colt is still slow, I need to get that fixed.
More testing to come.
Transmission was making some noise, like it was in a couple of gear edges.
It would make a noise when putting it in gear.

Great time with other slant racers.
Met a couple of FABO folks, that was cool also.

20230428_165520.jpg

Colt and Trailer.jpg

Pictures are on the internet
You are going to have to do some sleuthing to find the picture.

Kinda embarrassing........

-
Back