1972 Duster Build with my Daughter

-
After a total disaster with the Automotive Arts Motobase I learned that I have to shoot it with VERY high pressure to flash off a lot of the reducer before it hits the panel or it will attack the dry base already down and make it lift and crackle.... We finally have a perfect base ready for clear.... Kaelyn also put on the sandblasting hood and blasted the front components and I shot them with epoxy and base this afternoon.... Now the big question, after this long battle do we risk putting the decals under the clear and have a risk of screwing it up again......

Also have the bolts ready for epoxy and base in the morning will we prepare for the ladder strip mask and black hood stripe..

We are also trying to work the rust out of the hinge springs with vinegar in a spray bottle. Working it in spraying while working the spring. My forearms are sore those springs are stiff.... It is getting quieter and less creaky...

Ready for 4 coats of Universal Clear tomorrow!

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0151.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

Ain't no way, no how that I would clear over vinyl stripes. I think it's just askin for trouble. The black stripes are going to expand and contract at a greater rate than the blue paint, so I see that turning into a spider web cracked up mess. If you just put the stripes on top of the clear, it will be easy to replace a section of stripe, should the need ever arise. If the hood springs are still squawkin after you get them painted, let them dry good, and pack some clear silicone grease in the spring. A friend of mine did that to some Duster hood hinges, and they quietened down.

Ok 5 coats SPI Universal Clear and we are almost done... I blew the gun settings on the tail panel and blasted it.... Run city.... Need to sand back out and redo the tail panel..... The other panels can all be cut and buffed next week!
45405005_1994217883947452_1898804027949318144_n.jpg
45523880_1994221703947070_1489583332147593216_n.jpg

Got really brave and yes the Graphic Express mask for the Twister hood do work well. Thanks to @John_Lemon for warning me they are tricky so I pull all the stops...

First trim the ladder so it is close to the mask vinyl so it is easier to center. Then run a "hinge" of tape so you can fold it back and remove the backing. Then care fully flip it back down and move from the middle out pressing it down. Peal the upper backing at a 45 degree angle and folded flat pulling away from the mask.

I then gave it a quick spray of clear to seal the edges so the black did not run under the mask vinyl. I mixed some SPI black base with the Motobase reducer because I was out of SPI. Barry gave me the green light to do this last week. Guess what.. The damn thing crazed again... There is something wrong with the Motobase reducer I got. Finally I battled it and got it down. I went to wipe up some adhesive and STUPIDLY picked up the Acetone and not the Wax and Grease Remover.... Total destroyed a corner on of the the ladders.... Time to walk away..... It can be fixed since I am not done with other parts nothing lost but an hours of time....

I did not get the clear on since I need to fix somethings but it made Kaelyn cry when she saw it (It was Comi-Con weekend for the girls).
DSC_0145.jpg
DSC_0146.jpg
DSC_0147.jpg
DSC_0148.jpg
DSC_0149.jpg
DSC_0150.jpg
DSC_0151.jpg
DSC_0152.jpg
DSC_0153.jpg

Looking great! Going to have a set back now and then. What a lucky kid you have there. Its an experience she will never forget doing your own car. What a great Dad...are you adopting

Got really brave and yes the Graphic Express mask for the Twister hood do work well. Thanks to @John_Lemon for warning me they are tricky so I pull all the stops...

First trim the ladder so it is close to the mask vinyl so it is easier to center. Then run a "hinge" of tape so you can fold it back and remove the backing. Then care fully flip it back down and move from the middle out pressing it down. Peal the upper backing at a 45 degree angle and folded flat pulling away from the mask.

I then gave it a quick spray of clear to seal the edges so the black did not run under the mask vinyl. I mixed some SPI black base with the Motobase reducer because I was out of SPI. Barry gave me the green light to do this last week. Guess what.. The damn thing crazed again... There is something wrong with the Motobase reducer I got. Finally I battled it and got it down. I went to wipe up some adhesive and STUPIDLY picked up the Acetone and not the Wax and Grease Remover.... Total destroyed a corner on of the the ladders.... Time to walk away..... It can be fixed since I am not done with other parts nothing lost but an hours of time....

I did not get the clear on since I need to fix somethings but it made Kaelyn cry when she saw it (It was Comi-Con weekend for the girls).View attachment 1715244732View attachment 1715244733View attachment 1715244734View attachment 1715244735View attachment 1715244736View attachment 1715244737View attachment 1715244738View attachment 1715244739View attachment 1715244740
Looks Awesome !

I can't wait for the day I am done spraying so I can get the Coronet out from under the plastic. I have not seen her in over 6 weeks I think!

I dug the Coronet out and drove it to the school Veterans Day celebration. Spent the rest of the day sanding and buffing clear coat. A buddy dropped by and we put the hood back on to mask off the cowl to prepare for finishing up the painting over the next two days.

DSC_0149.jpg
DSC_0150.jpg
DSC_0145.jpg
DSC_0146.jpg
DSC_0147.jpg
DSC_0148.jpg

Excellent thread! This is what cars and hot rodding is all about. Great work, a one stop family shop!

I slight bow on the cowl?
What is your base body color going to be, I thought you were doing B5?

He painted it B1 "Blue Sky".

And yeah, that mask on the cowl looks crooked or something. Could just be the camera though.

I think this is going to be the nicest '72 Duster on the planet!

I slight bow on the cowl?
What is your base body color going to be, I thought you were doing B5?

Your looking at the body base color! The car was B1 Exterior and B5 interior and Kaelyn wanted it to be original colors. Would not have been my choice but it is her car and for sure it will be unique, I have never seen a B1 car before. In the sun it looks grey with a hint of blue. At night under artificial lights the blue stands out more.

He painted it B1 "Blue Sky".

And yeah, that mask on the cowl looks crooked or something. Could just be the camera though.

I think this is going to be the nicest '72 Duster on the planet!
---
For stripes I've used a laser level to make them straight. Like the black stripes on this GTX, they went on with a laser level.

IMG_0137.JPG

Your looking at the body base color! The car was B1 Exterior and B5 interior and Kaelyn wanted it to be original colors. Would not have been my choice but it is her car and for sure it will be unique, I have never seen a B1 car before. In the sun it looks grey with a hint of blue. At night under artificial lights the blue stands out more.
I like that color, and the black decals go great with it

I gotta be honest, I can't say I have even seen that color before, or if I had, I didn't know it. I'm really looking forward to seeing a finished shot on this.
:thumbsup:

A bud and I painted, believe it or not, a '68 Chevelle that exact color. It was stunning with black rocker panels and a black vinyl top. The color combination really works.

-
Back