1972 Duster Build with my Daughter

-
In retrospect it doesn't really look any better and in fact it may look worse!

I'm thinking of you Jim.
Spent the last two days blocking at 400 on our 72.
My apologies to the professional body guys out there but this **** sucks. About the time you think have it flat another low spot rears its head. Guide coat is great but it can also be a curse.
Back in the day we never used guide coat and went by eye and feel. If a small low spot popped up after paint we would say "Damn, missed that one" and lived with it. :lol:

You know, I am always ragging mechanics and shops that charge $130/hour to swap parts on cars. Body and paint guys are actually worth every penny they charge.

Looking nice Jim, maybe ready for H.E.M.I. show?

You know, I am always ragging mechanics and shops that charge $130/hour to swap parts on cars. Body and paint guys are actually worth every penny they charge.

Looking nice Jim, maybe ready for H.E.M.I. show?

Never gonna make that... The goal is to make the Cruzin the Rim in Show Low June 1st. That will need include a month of driving it to work out the bugs before taking a 300 mile drive with it!

snapshot20121126193101.6.jpg

THREE DAY WEEKEND! LETS ROCK!

[QUOTE="Jim Kueneman, THREE DAY WEEKEND! LETS ROCK![/QUOTE]
that's every weekend for me since i stopped working fridays. up to four days when it's a uk bank holiday monday too :thumbsup:

Run to the auto paint store to get stocked up on what I needed for the weekend. Killed a good 3 hours of the day. On the way I dropped off the transmission to be rebuilt and checked in on the 318. It is in line to get line bored and decked then assembly time.

I upgraded my air supply with 3/8" hose (and much longer) and removed the wall regulators. Now the gun sprays like a champ! I wet sanded the other side all these panels and prepped and sprayed epoxy on the back side. With the new air lines and serious CFM at the gun it laid down perfect. Just a couple small spots to fix in the morning and these panels are ready for color. We will be finishing the sanding and shooting the last coat of epoxy in the main body tomorrow. Color either tomorrow evening or more likely Sunday morning....

I also bought 4 Harbor Freight $19 panel stands. They are inexpensive and boy did they make this much easier. Since they are so small and light it will be easy to store them until the next use....

DSC_0106.jpg
DSC_0107.jpg
DSC_0108.jpg
DSC_0109.jpg

Last edited:
Run to the auto paint store to get stocked up on what I needed for the weekend. Killed a good 3 hours of the day. On the way I dropped off the transmission to be rebuilt and checked in on the 318. It is in line to get line bored and decked then assembly time.

I upgraded my air supply with 3/8" hose (and much longer) and removed the wall regulators. Now the gun sprays like a champ! I wet sanded the other side all these panels and prepped and sprayed epoxy on the back side. With the new air lines and serious CFM at the gun it laid down perfect. Just a couple small spots to fix in the morning and these panels are ready for color. We will be finishing the sanding and shooting the last coat of epoxy in the main body tomorrow. Color either tomorrow evening or more likely Sunday morning....

I also bought 4 Harbor Freight $19 panel stands. They are inexpensive and boy did they make this much easier. Since they are so small and light it will be easy to store them until the next use....

View attachment 1715240440 View attachment 1715240441 View attachment 1715240442 View attachment 1715240443
The HF stands are good for the money, we run a pair.
A little wobbly for sanding, you need to stabilize the panel a little with one hand while working on it.
Looking good Jim.

The HF stands are good for the money, we run a pair.
A little wobbly for sanding, you need to stabilize the panel a little with one hand while working on it.
Looking good Jim.

Yea I sand on my sawhorses with a piece of 2" foam covered with a blanket to sand the panels. These are just to paint on.

New day! Got everything ready for the final coat of white epoxy and shot it... Yes I found a few areas I will need to work more.... again.....

DSC_0110.jpg
DSC_0111.jpg
DSC_0112.jpg
DSC_0113.jpg
DSC_0114.jpg
DSC_0115.jpg
DSC_0116.jpg
DSC_0117.jpg

Last edited:
But the back of the hood, trunk and doors where ready from yesterday so we got our B1 and B5 on....! Should be able to flip them over and finish them up tomorrow!

Boy that Automotive Arts paint cover amazing.... It only took one coat to cover up the black and white checker board test card for coverage... 2 coats is all we will need.

And what else can I say about SPI Universal Clear.... Dipped in lipstick right off the gun.....

DSC_0118.jpg
DSC_0119.jpg
DSC_0120.jpg
DSC_0121.jpg
DSC_0124.jpg
DSC_0125.jpg
DSC_0126.jpg
DSC_0127.jpg
DSC_0129.jpg
DSC_0130.jpg

AF70F85E-5324-49C2-917D-2D78775FE8E8.jpeg
DAC8DF1B-B839-4C24-81EA-9EDF2204C83A.jpeg
C2BD19C4-3252-452D-89BA-B3020A62C1FA.jpeg
7E9F0871-B0B7-456C-8852-D3674B98158A.jpeg
What another long weekend but huge gains. It all went so well yesterday we just went for it. 2 coats of Universal Clear will be wet sanded then the Twister Graphics and ladder stripe on the hood next weekend then 4 coats of Clear to seal it all up and we are ready to cut and buff then ASSEMBLE!

That will look nice. I actually used to own a 72 Duster that was B1 with a black vinyl top. It had the black rubber trim on the middle body line instead of stripes, but I always liked that color combo. Big weekend! Now go prop up and rest because Monday morning will be here in 5 minutes....lol.

That will look nice. I actually used to own a 72 Duster that was B1 with a black vinyl top. It had the black rubber trim on the middle body line instead of stripes, but I always liked that color combo. Big weekend! Now go prop up and rest because Monday morning will be here in 5 minutes....lol.
image.jpg

DONE!

$1500 worth of gaskets, seals, clips, marker lights, and other trinkets are on their way from various parts of the country! I am started to taste reassemble....

If I understand what you are saying in post #388: Are you sure it's a good idea to put the clear over the decals? I think you are asking for trouble.

Car looks excellent!

If I understand what you are saying in post #388: Are you sure it's a good idea to put the clear over the decals? I think you are asking for trouble.

Car looks excellent!

Thanks and can you elaborate? Some very good custom painters I respect put vinyl under Clear all the time and like I said my 1983 Kawasaki has them under Clear on the tank.

Well,
a) I don't like the way it looks.
b) I'm not sure all vinyl and/or the adhesive under it is compatible with the solvents in the clearcoat. How will you know for sure?
c) I could be 100% wrong. Maybe some of today's materials are formulated to be compatible.

Well,
a) I don't like the way it looks.
b) I'm not sure all vinyl and/or the adhesive under it is compatible with the solvents in the clearcoat. How will you know for sure?
c) I could be 100% wrong. Maybe some of today's materials are formulated to be compatible.

I want it for durability and easy of keeping it looking good for a car she wants to drive much like a daily driver.

I will cut some excess from the stripes and lay some clear on them.

I want it for durability and easy of keeping it looking good for a car she wants to drive much like a daily driver.

I will cut some excess from the stripes and lay some clear on them.

You could also ask the decal manufacturer what they think.

-
Back