1972 Duster Build with my Daughter

-
Here you go!

A86B390B-6A53-487E-8492-C31DA98A13E9.png

Details, Details. Finished up a lot of details today and lots of DA sanding.... SPI 700/710 wipe down tomorrow morning and it is time to shoot epoxy!

Kaelyn did all the welding today. She welded on the disk brake hose brackets and the trim holes in the one fender. Looks good to me. She also learned how to pull dents with the stud welder.

View attachment 1715218756 View attachment 1715218757 View attachment 1715218758 View attachment 1715218759 View attachment 1715218760 View attachment 1715218761

This seems to be the transition point where you mount it to engine stands instead of a space hog rotisserie.
Brilliant idea.
The only problem is I didn't think of it.
:)

I've got one heavy duty stand.
Bought it because I didn't trust the flimsy ones for a 440.
Will just need one more for my next project.
Is there anything you can think of that would require extra caution in the process?
It seems like once I get some solid welding done, it's all straight forward.

This seems to be the transition point where you mount it to engine stands instead of a space hog rotisserie.
Brilliant idea.
The only problem is I didn't think of it.
:)

I've got one heavy duty stand.
Bought it because I didn't trust the flimsy ones for a 440.
Will just need one more for my next project.
Is there anything you can think of that would require extra caution in the process?
It seems like once I get some solid welding done, it's all straight forward.

Simple and sturdy with the HD stands

So I made a mod to the hood hinges so they would not bow so much when under tension. I welded in a 7/16" washer then drilled it out to 1/2" so there was more stability on the pin. It worked great...

DSC_0067.jpg

I painted the hinges and hood as well last evening so we installed the hood and started bolting and aligning the fenders. The driver fender was a mess like I have said. It needed to be built up a a lot to not have the hood stick above it... Spent the day working on the hood alignment along with fixing all the dents in it.

We also built up the fender more to get more of a body line. This time we went too far....

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

I had some epoxy primer mixed from last night and shot the places we worked on. The fender needs to be sanded down a bit more its front edge had a nice point for the body line now but the lip looking from the front is too fat.

The Boot and Bonnet are installed! Getting closer every day... Seems like it is one step forward and two steps back some days but we will get there...

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

Final, final shaping and last of my white epoxy seals it up. Tomorrow is shooting high build and time for the loving fine blocking to make it perfect!

It seems like I have been working on this forever but I looked back and we shot the first gallon of epoxy primer September 3rd so 4 weeks with one week on vacation...

DSC_0067.jpg
DSC_0068.jpg
DSC_0069.jpg
DSC_0070.jpg
DSC_0071.jpg
DSC_0072.jpg
DSC_0073.jpg
DSC_0074.jpg

A little wet sanding and man she is almost done! One more high build spray and sand I if the rest of it comes out like this we will be ready to paint!

DSC_0067.jpg
DSC_0068.jpg
DSC_0069.jpg

A little wet sanding and man she is almost done! One more high build spray and sand I if the rest of it comes out like this we will be ready to paint!

I always feel like the next post will be some huge milestone complete. Like I'll log in tomorrow and it'll be painted, and by Thursday it will be put back together and she'll be driving it to school. lol You're making the rest of us look bad! haha

Jay

I always feel like the next post will be some huge milestone complete. Like I'll log in tomorrow and it'll be painted, and by Thursday it will be put back together and she'll be driving it to school. lol You're making the rest of us look bad! haha

Jay

:rofl:

It is a process. I like to post everyday we do something to give people an idea what it takes to do a restoration to this level. An no I don't think she will be driving it to school until the week after next, we are going to the mountains next weekend :)

Jeez 10 days without progress..... We need to get cracking as fall is here in Southern Az... it was 37 this morning and lots of storm fronts including this weekend..... May not get her painted :(

We did get all the Twister graphics from Performance Graphics and the last order from Southern Polyurethane is placed. We have everything to get her painted just lacking time and soon warm weather....

Last edited:
Jeez 10 days without progress..... We need to get cracking as fall is here in Southern Az... it was 37 this morning and lots of storm fronts including this weekend..... May not get her painted :(

We did get all the Twister graphics from Performance Graphics and the last order from Southern Polyurethane is placed. We have everything to get her painted just lacking time and soon warm weather....

I don't even remember what 37 feels like. We are finally down in the 80's for highs.

Kaelyn finally had time to work in the garage to day. Unfortunately this is another weekend of rain in Arizona??? It rained yesterday, today, expected tomorrow and Monday so I strung up a few more shop lights that I had on the shelf for emergencies. I got photos but they are on the camera still. The first block in done and we are working on glaze to smooth in the firewall patch I installed for the '73 AC box. I'll get the photos posted tomorrow.

-
Back