1972 Duster Build with my Daughter

-
The left fender was quite a mess. At $500 for a new one I guess I can spend some time... First I blocked it lightly to see where it needed work then installed tape at the body lines to help define and build them up with the glazing.

DSC_0046.jpg

The added some 3M glaze and blocked it with 150 grit.

DSC_0047.jpg

Much flatter.

DSC_0048.jpg

Kaelyn started off with water and 220 grit but by the end she was dry sanding with 150 as she got more confidence and technique.

DSC_0049.jpg

Pulling the tape give a nice sharp straight line

DSC_0050.jpg

Now tape the top side and start on the next part of the panel

DSC_0051.jpg

Much better

DSC_0052.jpg

Installed the door and blocked it down. It never got the white epoxy....

DSC_0053.jpg

Someday soon Duster you will look as snazzy as the Coronet....

DSC_0054.jpg

Kaelyn had to get some homework done so I shot the left side with two more coats of epoxy. The filler and glaze is encapsulated between a base layer of epoxy and a top coat of epoxy just as I like it.

DSC_0055.jpg
DSC_0056.jpg
DSC_0057.jpg
DSC_0058.jpg

Started to block out the tail panel with a straight line but I am beat for the day...

DSC_0059.jpg

One thing I keep reminding my son about in our 72 build (and myself) is "It ain't a Barrett Jackson show car". If I didn't do that I would get buried in the weeds on detail and he would never get to drive it. We have cut several corners that he can deal with in later years just to get him driving it, which pains me. But that was the original goal. (We didn't quite have the level of effort you needed Jim).
On the other hand, if I build him a trailer queen, I would never allow him to drive it. :lol:

Keep up the great work.

You guys are so cool with this car that I had to get my own 72 duster. Now my 72 demon has a sister

72 duster 318/ 3 by the knee, bucket seat car.

20180903_181139.jpg

20180903_181114.jpg

I am lazy, I am not going to monkey with a whooped tail panel.

AMD makes it easy to lazy out on a ton of body work. I have previous experience with these AMD panels and they are nice.

Now I just need more hours in a day because I am doing this solo and no help in sight:eek:

20180907_192326.jpg

I am lazy, I am not going to monkey with a whooped tail panel.

AMD makes it easy to lazy out on a ton of body work. I have previous experience with these AMD panels and they are nice.

Now I just need more hours in a day because I am doing this solo and no help in sight:eek:

View attachment 1715222365
Ahh hell it ain't that hard. We pondered the swap out as well but for $380 for an AMD tail panel we opted for a little labor.
Duster 7.jpg
IMG_1210.jpg

Ahh hell it ain't that hard. We pondered the swap out as well but for $380 for an AMD tail panel we opted for a little labor.
View attachment 1715222370 View attachment 1715222371
Your tail panel was a lot cleaner than mine is to start. There was about a one inch gap between the taillights and the panel where it rusted, and was cut at some point for trailer wiring. Can't see it so good in the pic but the center is caved in and you can't shut the lid. :eek:

Your tail panel was a lot cleaner than mine is to start. There was about a one inch gap between the taillights and the panel where it rusted, and was cut at some point for trailer wiring. Can't see it so good in the pic but the center is caved in and you can't shut the lid. :eek:
Yea, pictures don't do the damage justice. Just like like you don't really notice the heavy crease in ours running between the tail lights below the Duster decal until you really look at it. To be honest, I got tired of welding in patch panels on this project.:lol:

Where are you in CO Rainy? This car came from about 15 miles north of Fort Morgan.

One thing I keep reminding my son about in our 72 build (and myself) is "It ain't a Barrett Jackson show car". If I didn't do that I would get buried in the weeds on detail and he would never get to drive it. We have cut several corners that he can deal with in later years just to get him driving it, which pains me. But that was the original goal. (We didn't quite have the level of effort you needed Jim).
On the other hand, if I build him a trailer queen, I would never allow him to drive it. :lol:

Keep up the great work.

The reason I did this on my Coronet and now the Duster is I want to know the condition of everything inside and out. When I finished I did not want to have to worry about getting home or spend every other weekend working on it. Once done all I want to do is turn the key and go. Doubly true if it my daughters car. It needs to be a dependable as a newer car for her.

Where are you guy located? I decided to take a mini vacation and meet a bunch of guys in Ouray to ride dual sport bikes in the San Juans this weekend and next week.

Where are you guy located? I decided to take a mini vacation and meet a bunch of guys in Ouray to ride dual sport bikes in the San Juans this weekend and next week.
We're in Fort Collins. My sweetie and I honeymooned in Ouray (Skiing at Telluride, hot springs, etc.) and made annual trips over there for our anniversary until kids came. (They screwed it up, you know).
Last best part of the state in my opinion.

Spent the day sanding and filing low spots plus reshaping some of the body lines where the sheet metal was bent. Exhausted but after round 3 we are getting very close. There is only one body line I am not happy with so tomorrow I will get more glaze and reshape that area plus start filling the tiny dings that are everywhere.... It is Fair weekend so I am sure Kaelyn will be there with her friends most of the weekend but since I abandon her last weekend I have some work to make up!

We did get all the paint from Chads Paint Supply. 1 gallon of B1 Blue and 1 quart of B5 for the interior plus all the SPI clears and primers. Today I ordered all the Twister graphics from Graphic Express.

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

Last thing tonight was to shoot it with another shot of SPI Epoxy Primer

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

That is going to be a really nice looking car with color on it.

Ah bodywork. Spray on $100 worth of primer sand off $98 worth. Spread out $50 worth of glaze sand off $48 worth..... this side is flat! 2 coats of SPI epoxy primer and 2 coats of SPI 2K High Build and it is time for the the very delicate blocking to get it laser straight!

393A5696-6AAE-48CC-9F33-32B168E47681.jpeg

Not much "daughter" this weekend as she was at the fair and doing homework but like I said I owed her since I was gone last weekend....

There were a couple of spots that the body lines were not right so I spent some time working them with glaze. Here is how I use tape to make body lines...

DSC_0067.jpg
DSC_0068.jpg
DSC_0069.jpg
DSC_0070.jpg
DSC_0071.jpg
DSC_0072.jpg
DSC_0073.jpg
DSC_0074.jpg
DSC_0075.jpg
DSC_0076.jpg

And a few more...

DSC_0077.jpg
DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

Lastly I shot it with a careful final epoxy primer coat. Next is coats of high build 2K primer to make it perfect.....

DSC_0080.jpg
DSC_0081.jpg
DSC_0082.jpg
DSC_0083.jpg
DSC_0084.jpg

I am getting too far ahead of the trunk and hood.... Finished stripping the trunk then DA sanded them with 80 grit and shot the underside. Once they dry I will shoot the top later this week.

DSC_0085.jpg
DSC_0086.jpg
DSC_0087.jpg
DSC_0088.jpg
DSC_0089.jpg
DSC_0090.jpg

Sweet! I think it’ll look nice...with some detail of course. Keep kicking *** on this build. I love it!

Looks fantastic! Why don't you send some of your 70 degree weather my way? I can use it lol

-
Back