1972 Duster Build with my Daughter

-
Pulled the last bracket I think I need from the Dart. Can everyone please take a moment of silence to remember the Dart that gave its life so that another Duster may live...... :(

DSC_0046 (1).jpg
DSC_0047 (1).jpg

Told the daughter we needed to get up at 5am to shoot the epoxy before the wind started blowing... She reluctantly agreed.....

Haha! I can't stand having the clutter all over with things tore apart. Plus she has a goal to take the Duster to a show in the mountains June 1st next year so we have it scheduled out to make that date! If we don't get the paint on before winter it will be too cold to paint until spring so there is a short term push to get the paint done so we can work the mechanical over the winter. Part of this project is to learn how to plan and execute the plan to meet your goals!
that blows me away, the thought of it getting too cold to paint in AZ.

I usually do my bodywork and paint in the winter ...in Colorado :)

that blows me away, the thought of it getting too cold to paint in AZ.

I usually do my bodywork and paint in the winter ...in Colorado :)

Barry says to never shoot his Polyurethane products if the metal is below 65F and I can’t keep the garage that warm in the winter.

So are you finally using the epoxy you were trying to sell to me?:poke:

We finally got to a high of 99 today, out of the hundreds finally.

:rofl: YUP! Yea it barely got to 80 today and it is 67 right now at 6:15. Monsoons and clouds keep it nice and cool here.

"Remember the Dart that gave its life so that another Duster may live...... :("

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. If Jim didn't need a parts car, you'd still be here with us.
Amen :eek:

I have a gallon of grey for underbody and as far as it will go for the first 2 coats. I bought high build and am going to try white since the blue is so light. I like the SPI epoxy for its sheen and dull once sanded. I never used my graphite I bought for the Coronet. The white may not be a great idea for blocking though.
WHITE is great for blocking, use a 3M or cheaper powder black guide coat ,works a treat, light blue colour will need a light grey primer or white,why not buy a cheapo fan and paint it inside thats what i do here in Oz,gunna be 2 Deg. Celsius here tonite, in 2 months it will be 46-48 maybe, try and paint when its LESS humid,paint and compressors dont like it...yes i,m a Painter by Trade :)

Holy crap did we just squeak that one out.... The afternoon thundershower started just as we were pushing everything back under cover! The girls has an attitude again..... This car thing is making her a bit out of control :)

One gallon of Southern Polyurethane epoxy primer is gone.

DSC_0046.jpg
DSC_0047.jpg
DSC_0048.jpg
DSC_0049.jpg
DSC_0050.jpg
DSC_0051.jpg
DSC_0052.jpg
DSC_0053.jpg
DSC_0054.jpg
DSC_0055.jpg

I had in my head I could leave the epoxy for up to 7 days to apply the filler but after reading the tech sheet I realized that is the max and the best is 24/48 hours! I made a mad rush to the store after work and spent the evening slathering on filler on the major problem areas. It will need another round or two of this so we will get the smaller problems on the next round.... Lots of sanding to do now!

Could not help myself and did a bit of sanding on the places that were really bothering me....

DSC_0046.jpg
DSC_0047.jpg
DSC_0048.jpg
DSC_0049.jpg

I had in my head I could leave the epoxy for up to 7 days to apply the filler but after reading the tech sheet I realized that is the max and the best is 24/48 hours! I made a mad rush to the store after work and spent the evening slathering on filler on the major problem areas. It will need another round or two of this so we will get the smaller problems on the next round.... Lots of sanding to do now!

Could not help myself and did a bit of sanding on the places that were really bothering me....

View attachment 1715220437 View attachment 1715220438 View attachment 1715220440 View attachment 1715220441
Interesting Jim, ours was hammered dead center in the same spot in the tail light panel as well. PITA to get straight.
We're actually working on that now.
You two are kicking @ss and doing it right. Tons of work there and you're doing it right. Keep it up.

Last edited:

I just realized it is YOUR fault I have this project. I could not see that gallon of epoxy go to waste. Get over here and bring your sanding blocks! I’ll pay you in air cleaners.

Interesting Jim, ours was hammered dead center in the same spot in the tail light panel as well. PITA to get straight.
We're actually working on that now.
You two are kicking @ss and doing it right. Tons of work there and you're doing it right. Keep it up.

This just seemed to be a lot of incidental thumping on the back panel in various places. It was not really "hit" per say by the looks of it, just abused around the key lock from things going in the trunk or something.

I have always called those tail panel dents "Duster dents". Every Duster you looked at back in the day had a dent or 2 in the tail panel. I was later informed by an EXPERT, at a car show, that my term was incorrect. Supposedly, the low places in the quarter panels, right behind the doors, on every Duster ever made are commonly referred to as Duster dents. :rolleyes: It wouldn't have been so funny at the time if he had not seemed so offended by my improper use of the term.....lol.

I have always called those tail panel dents "Duster dents". Every Duster you looked at back in the day had a dent or 2 in the tail panel. I was later informed by an EXPERT, at a car show, that my term was incorrect. Supposedly, the low places in the quarter panels, right behind the doors, on every Duster ever made are commonly referred to as Duster dents. :rolleyes: It wouldn't have been so funny at the time if he had not seemed so offended by my improper use of the term.....lol.

Just asked about those quarter panel cave ins on the Facebook page and learned they are factory!

More blocking tonight.... Should be done with the first rough blocking tomorrow morning and we will shoot it with a couple more coat of the new White SPI epoxy and then start getting serious about getting it dead flat with the second application of filler.

When it gets right down to when the last coat of filler starts to feather out pretty good, I like to start water sanding it with 180, then 320. Makes a huge difference in how nicely it feathers out.

Ding-Ding-Ding! ROUND 2! I really like the white primer, you can see a shadow on every little bump or ding. Many of them are ready for just glaze to finish them off.

DSC_0054.jpg
DSC_0055.jpg
DSC_0056.jpg

Holy crap did we just squeak that one out.... The afternoon thundershower started just as we were pushing everything back under cover! The girls has an attitude again..... This car thing is making her a bit out of control :)

One gallon of Southern Polyurethane epoxy primer is gone.

If that girl shot all that primer, give her a "Hi-5"
My arm is ready to fall off anymore just shooting a qt of paint.

View attachment 1715219414 View attachment 1715219415 View attachment 1715219416 View attachment 1715219417 View attachment 1715219418 View attachment 1715219419 View attachment 1715219420 View attachment 1715219421 View attachment 1715219422 View attachment 1715219423

-
Back