1972 Duster Build with my Daughter

-
Been slipping posting.... the progress has not been photogenic just necessary.... the plane is the start this bugger Sunday!

80934582.jpg

We totally f'ed up today..... for several stupid reasons we had a nasty backfire trying to start the Duster and bent #5 intake valve..... Bruce is overnighting new valves and I am begging my machine shop buddy to work this in this week so we can get it back together and running next weekend.....

How did you bend a valve trying to start it? Must have been one hell of a backfire. Hope you get it back together soon.

Who put the motor together? I'd be checking the cam timing before I tried to start it again if it was mine.
Neil.

I have full trust in who put it together, machine shop of a Mopar guy who has built many small blocks. He just called. An aluminum flake from where the spark plugs holes where threaded broke off and just happened to get smashed at the right time and was stuck to the seat.... It is all better now.

I should go on my aftermarket rant here ;)

Last edited:
Still sorry for no photos. I have taken a lot but we are burning the candle at both ends trying to get ready for the Memorial Weekend show in Show Low. The engine is back together and #5 is alive. Dave machined the valves and now that cylinder has 120lb of compression. He is a believer that lapping valves it 1950's technology and modern machine tools have tolerances that make lapping obsolete. After this demonstration I think I agree. Machining and no lapping upped the compression almost 5lbs. Maybe the lapped valves will polish in and be as good as the machined one after a while. Friday I get the Billet thermostat housing (tried to sand the aftermarket chrome one flat but even with no pressure in the system the damn thing was leaking) likely won't try to start it till then. At least now I know 100% the timing is not 180 degrees off, the fuel pump is pumping fuel, next I need to hook the oscilloscope to the coil to make sure the spark is correct then we will try to start it.
  • Compression..... Check
  • Fuel.... Check
  • Spark.... Checking...
It should start!

Driveshaft dropped off to have it sized for the car, the right answer for a 8 3/4" and 904 small block Duster is 50" if you have the big boot seal on the 904.
Windshield being delivered to Tucson from Phoenix. My glass source forgot to get the good glass put on the truck in LA when they were out there last week so she got me a made in China :( glass that I can get this week. I could not wait for them to build up an order to make another LA run, we need to get this on the road and some mile on it before trusting it on a 600 mile round trip!

Another long day/night. I will post photos but no commentary just to keep you updated....

DSC_0020.jpg
DSC_0021.jpg
DSC_0022.jpg
DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0024.jpg
DSC_0025.jpg
DSC_0026.jpg
DSC_0027.jpg
DSC_0028.jpg
DSC_0029.jpg

Last edited:
Google is still crunching it.... should work now. Reload.
Sorry, we millennials want everything now or 10 minutes ago.

Lol

Sorry.

It works now :thumbsup:

Oldies are neutral and seem to be popular. They are more neutral than what I usually jam to but, that might be why my dad doesn't hang out, until I switch the oldies on. Your daughter already had it figured out. :)

Lots-o-tinkering today...

Rear axel is done. Classic sent me a HD shock so I need to order another, I have one of each so we will see what lady luck brings us...

DSC_0020.jpg

1968 B-Body brake hose fits perfectly...

DSC_0021.jpg

Those fat garden hose washers work a treat for the rubber spacer between the cable and the backing plate!

DSC_0022.jpg

A Body parking brake cables fit perfectly with the B-Body axel

DSC_0023.jpg

Starter shield installed.

DSC_0024.jpg

Plastic shield dyed with Herbs Charcoal and installed.

DSC_0025.jpg

VIN Tag painted a few days ago so ECS transfer time. I messed up the first one. Tape it down so nothing can move.

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

All legal now.

DSC_0028.jpg

Did not take any intermediate photos but the rear glass is in and the trim polished.

DSC_0029.jpg
DSC_0030.jpg

Front seal is dry fit and the windshield I picked up yesterday looks like it is sort of fits. Had to go with a cheap China version as my source forgot to have them throw one on the truck when they were in LA picking up a load of glass....

DSC_0031.jpg

It is alive! Once you have the fuel hooked up and the spark plugs on right they start right up! Having a bit of a challenge getting the front disks to bleed and the damn PS pump is not building pressure... I must have something in wrong. We will take it back out tomorrow and get the front glass in.. The driveshaft is due Tuesday so maybe she can drive it out of the garage Tuesday night!

-
Back