1972 duster power brake booster

-

72dustervs

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 72 had a brake booster with drum brakes , converting to disk off a 75 dart but would like a new booster as unsure of condition of the 50 year old booster , any plug an play after markets worth a dam ? Cant find good source for new original , so open to suggestions ,

Did find this one , does anyone know if this will work on a Duster for my 72 ? Is the 75 the same ? Picture looks right so maybe it is ?
482__28123.1680928554.jpg

CARDONE Reman

Vacuum Power Brake Booster - 54-76101

Part Number: 54-76101

Product Condition: Remanufactured
  • Special order only - SKU cannot be ordered as a part of a stocking PO. Please work with your sales rep on availability
  • without Master Cylinde

You will likely need a disc booster. Pic in post 2 looks like a single diaphragm drum booster. The travel is different between the single diaphragm drum boosters and the dual diaphragm disc boosters. That’s how the factory did it. Some folks say the drum booster works on a disc setup, ymmv.

You will likely need a disc booster. Pic in post 2 looks like a single diaphragm drum booster. The travel is different between the single diaphragm drum boosters and the dual diaphragm disc boosters. That’s how the factory did it. Some folks say the drum booster works on a disc setup, ymmv.
It does state its for disk brakes so that's a little reassuring , or both as it states drum or disk ? Of course it states 10" rear drum , got to check that as well since I upgraded to 8 3/4 rear as I am unsure

CARDONE Reman

Vacuum Power Brake Booster - 54-76101

Part Number: 54-76101

Product Condition: Remanufactured
  • With Front Disc, Rear Drum Brakes
  • With Front Drum, Rear Drum Brakes
  • Special order only - SKU cannot be ordered as a part of a stocking PO. Please work with your sales rep on availability
  • without Master Cylinder
  • with 10" Rear Brakes

Disc brakes require about 50% more operating pressure than drum brakes. That can be achieved in a couple of ways. Going to disc: larger booster or dual booster; smaller m/c.
Note that a dual booster may not output anymore force than a larger single booster. Sometimes dual boosters are used for space reasons, NOT because they output more force. The area of the respective diaphragms would need to be calculated to compare output. Also, the dual booster piston/rod does not travel further; one diaphragm is piggy backed onto the other.

After some additional research I think the original will work , and its a 10 inch booster which helps , if it had been the smaller 8 inch booster I would not have went this route , and I found N.O.S. at decent price , that is a 10 inch , and have read it should be work very well with this setup , will incorporate the proper proportional valve and master cylinder , A dual booster may be better in some cases for disk but the 10 inch single I think will be more than enough for me , weekend driver an car shows , no long hauls ,,and if for some reason its not what I think , then will cross that bridge then ,, I appreciate everyone's input on this site , its very helpful source of information

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Hey there - am struggling to find a 54-76101 Cardone brake booster. Are there other options - right now am not worried about stock, just need to get my baby back in the road, my current booster is unsafe? Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Hey there - am struggling to find a 54-76101 Cardone brake booster. Are there other options - right now am not worried about stock, just need to get my baby back in the road, my current booster is unsafe? Any help appreciated. Thank you.
The cardone is out of stock , I found this one on ebay , and still had to use the back half off my old one to let it bolt up to my pedal an brackets , I learned a lot about how there made , If you dont luck out as I did and find one that was N.O.S. then there are places that rebuild them , If I knew a part source I could build one myself , if I run across one anywhere I will let you know , but you might try getting your rebuilt
Booster Dewey in the northwest rebuilds mine...

I was going to go with Dr. Differential booster they carry , until I found the N.O.S. booster , but I did use there updated master cylinder on mine

master-cyl.jpg
as it will not rust an bolts on with the adapter plate ,

Reproduction Bendix dual diaphragm brake booster

'66-'69 B-Body Firewall Stiffening Plate w/Linkage

'70-'74 B/E Body Stiffening Plate w/Linkage

Hemi/A Body Brackets

Hemi/A Body Brackets

Hemi/A Body Brackets

Hemi/A Body Brackets

Bendix Style Dual Diaphragm Booster​

$300.00
Vehicle:
  • '62 - '65 B-Body
  • '67 - '76 A-Body
  • '66 - '70 B-Body
  • '71 - '74 B-Body
  • E-Body

Crazy - I just found this after posting too. Have to ring to see if there is stock. Thanks all, hope things are looking up!

In my experience, the Mopar Dual Diaphragm space saving booster from the late 60s, required more vacuum to initiate operation, than the one off a mid-70s Dart. The DD worked fine with more vacuum. So IMO, don't try to use the DD with a 292/292/108 cammed 360, at 700 rpm, lol..

Last edited:
NO.....
The A body used a single diaphragm booster, not a dual.

The single looks like this:

View attachment 1716092486

The dual is for B body cars and looks like this:

booster-jpg.jpg

This is a booster and MC from a 73-76 A body:

View attachment 1716092484

It has reduction linkage and a standoff bracket arrangement to clear the engine.

View attachment 1716092485
And '67-'72 A bodies used the dual-diaphragm Midland/Ross booster.
dart-booster-jpg.jpg

It's no longer produced or available rebuilt (except by specialty rebuilders such as Booster Dewey) and uses the same standoff and reduction linkage as the later unit that you pictured; but the Doctor Diff unit is a viable replacement, especially in situations where the later large diameter booster won't physically fit, such as Hemi/big block swaps and early A installations.

Thanks. I forgot about that one even though I have one on the shelf out back. I mainly deal with the 73-76 stuff.

-
Back