1972 Scamp, my regular cruiser

-

57dodged100

Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to making a project page. So I plan on loading a bunch of info about this car over the next few days.

What: '72 Scamp with slant six, 36k original miles.

Why: I wanted an older Mopar to drive on a regular basis.

I restored a'57 dodge d100 but can't haul the family in it. Plus, I built a show truck and don't drive it regularly. The goal was to acquire a cruiser that would allow the family to join me and not be so nice that I'd hesitate to drive it.

This is what I drove home.

image.jpeg

The wheels were too wide and were rubbing in the back. I sold them and painted the original wheels that also came with the car.

image.jpeg

Then added trim rings

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I found the build sheet when I remove the backseat to fix quarter glass that wouldn't roll down.

IMG_4935.jpeg

IMG_4934.jpeg

Am radio wasn't enough, so I bought this bluetooth speaker and mounted it to a no-slip GPS dash pad. I stream music from my ipod with no wires.

IMG_5119.jpeg

The engine looked pretty good. I replaced the washer bottle and fittings.

Mechanically, I converted to electronic ignition with pertronix ignitor ii and coil. I put in NGK plugs, and new plug wires. Adjusted the valves, it runs nicely.

IMG_5765.jpeg

Last edited:
I drove the car 3 to 4 times a week during the summer. One of the torque converter tabs broke off and that led to a converter replacement and a transmission service.

Once the cold-weather set in I started to do some cleanup.

Added some wire loom

IMG_6182.jpeg

IMG_6172.jpeg

IMG_6173.jpeg

Last edited:
KeganB sent some grill pieces and I repaired it, but I haven't painted yet. Too cold.

IMG_6201.jpeg

IMG_6202.jpeg

IMG_6267.jpeg

Last edited:
My intentions was to NOT paint the car for a few years. However, my friend who owns a body shop decided to retire soon. It would cost me twice as much for anyone else to paint the car, so I decided to have it done before he retired. The car has virtually no rust. There is one dime sized piece on the rocker on the right and a few pin hole spots behind both rear wheels. I have pulled everything that needs to pulled: bumpers, trim, mirror, antenna, grill, etc.

I knew there was a surprise waiting under the vinyl top

The joint between the roof and quarter panel had OEM plastic filler

IMG_6310.jpeg

IMG_6489.jpeg

He will spot blast this area and then repair.

The plan is to paint the top black rather than replace the vinyl.

Last edited:
That is nice. Painting it the same color I hope, I like that color. I used to have a 72 Scamp, I'd love to have another one.

Nice ride! I'm thinking of trying to find a /6 Scamp for a daily as well. I'll be watching this thread as well for ideas.

Great looking car. You have a jumpstart based on the condition. I do like the color but it will be a real looker with a black top.

Thanks for comments FABO!

Yes, I'm keeping it the same color, GF3 - medium green metallic.

When I bought the car it was only getting 13mpg. After a tune up, I added 2.25 single exhaust with a glasspack. Now it gets 18mpg around town and 23mpg on the highway.

Last edited:
wow that actually sounds pretty bad ***! I had a slant in my 71 Scamp with a small Monza muffler on it and it sounded deeper but not like that. That's a real clean Scamp! Can't wait to see it painted.

Here are a couple of pics of it as it sits now, waiting to go for paint.

I'm ALMOST done scraping the vinyl adhesive off. Goo Gone and a razor blade does a nice job, but it is a slow process.

IMG_6436.JPG

IMG_6439.JPG

IMG_6437.jpeg

Last edited:
I plan on adding a gloss black tail stripe. I think the black wheels, stripe, and black roof will give it the styling I like.

IMG_6091.JPG

I also had these decals made to put on. The large ones will be placed on the front fender, where the Valiant and Scamp emblems were removed.

I made the smaller ones to go on the quarter glass, but I'm not sure I will use them. It might "bee" too much!

Last edited:
So I stole a few hours from the family today, and got a lot accomplished.

Detached the rear bumper bracket and then painted the bracket with Eastwood rust encapsulator

IMG_6458.JPG

IMG_6459.JPG

IMG_6460.JPG

IMG_6463.JPG

IMG_6464.JPG

Last edited:
So my bumpers were in good shape, but once the car is repainted this month the bumpers would have looked dingy. So I bought 2 AMD bumpers for the cost of having one rechromed. Plus, I hope to sell my originals to recoup some of my cost.

My old ones:
IMG_6461.JPG

New ones:
IMG_6462.JPG

I wanted to protect the rear side of the new bumpers so they don't rust. So I used self etching primer and silver paint on the underside.

IMG_6471.JPG

IMG_6478.JPG

IMG_6472.JPG

Last edited:
I also had a chance to finish painting the grill. Remember, it had a broken fin that was repaired.

Cleaned, primed, black, and then clear. I think the black grill will fit the theme: black also on wheels, roof, and tail stripe.

IMG_6466.JPG

IMG_6467.JPG

IMG_6468.JPG

IMG_6469.JPG

IMG_6473.JPG

IMG_6484.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great! I really like the grille.

I like what you're doing with the car.
Just don't go overboard on the car and you won't have a daily driver anymore like your others!

-
Back