1972 Scamp, my regular cruiser

-
I picked up my car today and I'm thrilled with the way it turned out. I had a problem with the gas or carb on the way home and I had to tow it up my driveway and push it in the garage. I have a clear fuel filter and the gas looked real dirty. It put "stabile" in a fresh tank of gas in October, so I'm not sure what happened. Maybe the ethanal gas ate the rubber hose during the winter (i've recently read about how I should replace my rubber fuel hose and filter with ethanal resistant hose). Since it wasn't running I wasn't able to park in the light to get better pictures. Once I get it reassembled and the fix the gas/carb problem I'll post more pics. The painter recommended waiting about 2 weeks before having the bee stripe applied.
IMG_6845.JPG

IMG_6846.JPG

IMG_6847.JPG

IMG_6848.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great! I love Scamps, and the paint looks killer.
Cant wait for more progress

Looks damn good man-I can't wait to see you get the pieces parts installed and the final product--the black on the roof and pillars looks awesome too.

Thanks for compliments!!! This is a fun phase….

Last night I got the side marker lights, the fender mounted turn signals, hood emblem and the grill reassembled.

photo.JPG

I love the blacked out grill. I have redone my grill satin black and waiting for my new headlights to come in for reassembly

X3!! I just love the entire car!!! I use to hate that color but the more cars I see with it the more I like it!!

Turns out the gas/carb problems was easy. The car had two old and VERY dirty plastic-clear fuel filters (one at the tank and one before the carb). The gas tank was replaced just before I bought the car - looks like they replaced the tank but left on the 2 ancient fuel filters!? Deleted the rear filter, replaced all the rubber fuel hose with fuel injection hose, and replaced the fuel filter before the carb with a metal Wix filter. Car runs fine again!

I have almost finished reassembly. Just the rear bumper and taillights and I'll be able to start driving her to work again! More pics next week!

Here she is:

Taii stripe will be applied after a full 30 days to allow the paint to "dry."

IMG_6868.JPG

IMG_6869.JPG

IMG_6870.JPG

IMG_6872.JPG

IMG_6873.JPG

IMG_6874.JPG

IMG_6875.JPG

Last edited:
I just found and went through your whole thread. Beautiful Scamp you have. It turned out very nice. That is an excellent daily driver. But dang.....new paint....gotta be worried about parking lots!!

I did all I'm going to do under the hood. I've got another week or two before I can get me tail stripe and put a coat of wax on the car. I'll be driving it this weekend!
IMG_6914.JPG

IMG_6915.JPG

IMG_6917.JPG

Last edited:
Another member called my attention to this '72 Scamp on Ebay. The only differences (besides the engine) are the vinyl/paint top, tinted windows, wheels, grill color, bumperetts, and the stripe. My color looks slightly different as the base/clear coat of the same paint recipe looks a little different. For the first time, I'm beginning to wonder about the tail stripe? Any opinions?

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/271462219259?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/271462219259?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/ame]

-
Back