1972 Scamp, my regular cruiser

-
I like what you're doing with the car.
Just don't go overboard on the car and you won't have a daily driver anymore like your others!

Yes, your right. I promised myself I would drive this car to Walmart, etc. I'm not going to let this car become something for shows. It is for me, and that is all. But I'm glad those here at FABO have similar tastes!

I've found that early morning sessions on the weekend is the best way to get time in the garage; 5:30-8:30 last two mornings. Today: 1) I finished removing the OEM body filler between the roof and quarter panel; I'm changing this from a vinyl top to a painted top. 2) I painted the front bumper bracket with Eastwood rust encapsulator, and 3) cleaned up some rear wheel molding. When the previous owner ran too wide rear tires they tore the driver side rear wheel trim. I posted a want add here on FABO and another member sent the one you see below for FREE! I'll be reusing the other wheel trim after some polishing time.

IMG_6498.JPG

This is what I started with:

IMG_6501.JPG

This is what I ended with:
IMG_6504.JPG

IMG_6503.JPG

Last edited:
Another early morning spent in the garage. The car is schedule to go for paint 1/20/14 so I prepped several parts for reassembly. I spend most of the morning polishing trim: grill, rockers, trunk, mirror, and fender mounted turn signals. I also painted the outside of the rear brake lenses. I know some people would say I'm crazy to go to these lengths with a driver, but I'm detail oriented. All it cost me was time. I had the polishing and paint supplies on hand; so no money went into any of today's work.

Here is some trim polished:
IMG_6506.JPG

Here is the before shot of brake lenses, notice the faded silver paint:
IMG_6509.JPG

And now they are ready to be reassembled:
IMG_6514.JPG

Last edited:
Well, the schedule for the car to be painted was pushed back a few weeks by my friend who is going to paint it. So I'm continuing to just do the few things I can while I wait. I was apprehensive about removing the drip rail, window trim, etc. The painter came and pulled that so that I could finish up removing the adhesive from the old vinyl top.

Yesterday and this morning I replaced the seat belts with 3-point retractable one's I bought from Andover. It was a pretty easy job, and hopefully a bit of a safety improvement.

Out with the old, non-retractable ones:

IMG_6530.JPG

There were wires going to the retractor switches. I cut, capped, and taped them. No buzzer :)
IMG_6531.JPG

The new ones:

IMG_6535.JPG

Last edited:
I bought a Kelsey Hayes disk brake setup from a 68 barracuda here on FABO. I've sources all the needed parts and am in the middle of the swap. The old spindles, drum stuff, and steering arms are off. The new spindles are on along with the new steering arms. Waiting on the new calipers and master cylinder and then I'll get it all together and post some pics.

This weekend I made some more progress on the drum to disk swap. Put stainless lines onto the calipers. New inner and outer wheel bearings loaded into the hubs. I had the rotors machined, but bought new ones to swap later. New master cylinder is on.

The hardest part was wrestling with the brake lines at the distribution block. That block sure is in a difficult spot to work! I had sprayed the lines with PB Blaster every day of a week and still rounded the rear brake line while using a line wrench! Channel locks got it off eventually.

The proportioning valve awaits a rebuild and then I have to hook up the lines and bleed the system.

Well, I completed the disk brake swap this weekend!

I went from this:
IMG_6558.JPG

to this:
IMG_6638.JPG

I wrote a complete explanation of the swap and posted it under the brake section here at FABO.

The Kelsey-Hayes Disk Brake Swap Thread

I hope it helps someone else with a similar project.

We have been having an unusually cold and snowy winter here in Southeast Ohio. It has caused my friend who owns the paint shop to delay my paint job. So, I'll be waiting but hopefully not that long. He painted my '57 D100 and has done some body/paint work on my daily driver. He treats me right and is worth the wait.

So, I'm not sure when my next post will be.

Last edited:
No worries, we're glad to see the posts whenever you do post. I can't wait to upgrade my fronts to disc when I can finally get back to it.

I dropped off the Scamp to my friend and painter on Monday 2/17. Mine is the only car in the shop and he anticipates having it done in 2 weeks! Here is what it looked like when I drove it the half mile to his shop.

IMG_5289.JPG

IMG_5290.JPG

IMG_5291.JPG

IMG_5292.JPG

IMG_5293.JPG

IMG_5294.JPG

Last edited:
My friend and painter called today and said the car is progressing well and should be ready for pick up next week! I feel like a kid waiting for Santa! I'm going to visit the shop Saturday morning and will try to get a few pictures.

why is the bleeder and brake line on the outside of the caliper???I have never seen this before looks like the calipers are on the wrong side

why is the bleeder and brake line on the outside of the caliper???I have never seen this before looks like the calipers are on the wrong side

You must not have worked with Kelsey-Hayes 4 piston calipers in the past. They are mounted correctly. You can check out the pages 5-35, 5-40, 5-41 of the 1972 free service manual on this site, for clear factory images. Or google search kelsey hayes calipers and look at images.

looking good.. the wheels would look great body color with some dog dishes.

only thing i don't like is that ugly *** speaker thing on the dash. put some speakers in the package deck where they belong and stick a cheap amp or radio with aux jack under the seat and run your ipod cable right through the seat. :)

i'm not big on plymouths with bumble bee stripes. make it seem like your trying to make it a dart but hey thats personal preference.

looking good.. the wheels would look great body color with some dog dishes.

only thing i don't like is that ugly *** speaker thing on the dash. put some speakers in the package deck where they belong and stick a cheap amp or radio with aux jack under the seat and run your ipod cable right through the seat. :)

i'm not big on plymouths with bumble bee stripes. make it seem like your trying to make it a dart but hey thats personal preference.

Thanks for checking out my project. I know that the speaker sticks out like a sore thumb the nicer I make the rest of the car. I will have to find a better solution eventually.

I like to carry a color theme in my cars. In this case it will be black accents on the wheels, roof, stripe, and air cleaner.

I like that the Scamp is not recognized by many non-Mopar types. I don't mind that the bee stripe may confuse further….Maybe I'll add the ladder bar graphic to the hood (the scamp shares a hood with a duster) to really confuse.

I visited the car at the paint shop yesterday. The body work is done and it will receive the final paint this week or next.

IMG_5295.JPG

IMG_5302.JPG

IMG_6694.JPG

IMG_6695.JPG

IMG_6696.JPG

IMG_6697.JPG

IMG_5302.JPG

Last edited:
The car is done and I will be picking it up tomorrow evening! I'll post pictures as the reassembly begins.

Good looking car, I like the black wheels with rings. I'm going with a similar look with mine (eventually when I get it back from the bodyshop) so I'm looking forward to seeing it with the roof, wheels and grille all blacked out together.

-
Back