1973 340, want more power.

-
Why not just blueprint a 71 340 and put an Eddy Air Gap, Holley 750 and a set of big tube headers on it? DONE. Over and out. Roger Wilco.

Hahaha... I dont get it!? You saying its a good or bad idea?
It all goes back to tradeoffs and what you like:
Higher gears =
1) More torque to the rear wheels so better acceleration at all speeds
2) Higher revs from the engine so possibly more discomfort. Take the suggestion to go out and cruise at 50-55 in 2nd gear with your present low 3's gear ratio; that will simulate how high the engine revs will be at 65-70 MPH with a 3.91 gear ratio in 3rd gear.
3) Lower fuel economy

IMHO, do this test, and then sleep on it for a while. No need to feel pushed one way or the other. There are other options to do that have not been really discussed here, and you may want to know those first and then mull it over and end up prioritizing things differently.

About to buy the 3.91 gears. I have someone local who wants to sell a 8 3/4 dodge 1970 391 sure-grip... for $1000 Canadian. Which works out to about $700 Canadian less than Webby or dr diff
Good deal??

Dumb question semi intelligent answer;

Sure it is on the dollar aspect, unless it is a total piece of garbage and needs $1500 in rebuilding costs.

IMG_1729.JPG
Safely arrived at my sisters address in the states. Picking up next weekend.

If you find the 3.91's make freeway driving unfriendly, you might consider a gear vendors overdrive. Spendy for sure but it'll get yer R's down to where you will hear the stereo at freeway speeds.

Gear Vendors under/overdrive auxiliary transmissions Hot Rods, Dodge 3-Speed Automatic Muscle Car/Street Rod/Restoration.
Yes, I have looked into that before. About $3,000 if I remember corectly. Maybe down the road after my egine is pumped up as well.
Thanks
Richard

yup they will break the bank for sure.........but every thing will break around it and it will still be standing. they are tough.

Hey guys,

Got the car back today with the 3.91 sure grip.

Works great! Definatly glad i didnt go less than a 3.91, I can handle the extra vibrations etc.. Didnt bother me at all...

Thanks everyone for you help!

Richard

Hey guys,

Got the car back today with the 3.91 sure grip.

Works great! Definatly glad i didnt go less than a 3.91, I can handle the extra vibrations etc.. Didnt bother me at all...

Thanks everyone for you help!

Richard

I see a set of 4.56's in your future. Once you go 4.56 you'll never go back!

-
Back