1974 Dart Swinger

-
Yes, he was pretty happy with how it turned out. We promptly put the cover on the car to keep it dust free and to help keep it cooler as well.

looks good it would look great if you put the vynal top trim on it i may be able to get ahold of a fender the same color for you i know there is one out at the junk yard

ya know i never liked the 73 and 74 cars till i seen these those are very clean and the green one looks great good lookin gcars guys good scores! :cheers:

Glad to see you guys are still at this!
Car is looking better and better every time I come into the thread!

My dad and I put our Dart on hold this summer due to a bit of a financial scare, but thats since passed and we've been doing some major planning for the future!
Next summer will be a good summer for our 74, I'm excited for it.

Sneke Eyez,
We know all to well about having to put a hold on things due to $$$$$$ issues. Always something else needing the time and $$$$ put towards a different cause. It's good to see you back on here as well, it's been a while but we'll be looking for your progress as well.
Thursday we plan to really clean up the trunk area good to prep it for this Saturdays local car show. We're using the better bumper-jack parts from the 4-door and are either painting or waxing up the pieces to be installed into the trunk of the 2-door. I'll be sure to post some pictures of our work.

Amzchad,
If you find that matching driver side front fender in the junk yard, shoot me a picture of it. We're also looking for rear window trim and a dome light lense.

71dodge,
We always get asked about the shade of green on the car. I'd say 95% of the comments are positive and we plan to keep the color.

...did he really put concrete bricks on his car ?? ha ha.... I know you did it properly with the blankets. Hey that black on the roof looks alot better in my opinion. Isnt it mazing what the old "elbow grease" action can acheive.... not to mention sore arms. Your rigs are looking good !! Still have the spotlights for if or when you are ready for them. If not no biggie either.
Good luck at the shows !

-RPM

RPM,
Yes I used broken concrete block, but I placed it there very gently! LOTS of elbow grease has been used to clean the car up thus far and more will be coming. We hope to clean/wax the trunk area this afternoon and I'll post some pics.
Yes I'm still wanting the spotlights and will be getting with you soon about them!

This afternoon, a little more elbow grease went into the car but this time it was the trunk that got the attention. We wanted it to look half decent for this weekends car show. Fort Hood had a early release today so I went home and worked on the trunk while my son was in class and had football practice. He got home right as I spilled some car wax on the carpet I was laying in the trunk. I let loose with quite a few explatives but Jeffrey quickly used water and a towel and cleaned it up before it set in and dried. We took the best jack parts from the 2 cars and waxed them up and painted a few pieces. The carpet had been in the 4-door when we bought it. We placed the 4-doors spare tire down in the bottom of the trunk and placed the 2-doors original Goodyear Polyglass up top. I climbed inside the trunk and wiped everything down first before useing Kit Polish and Wax on the wheel tubs and visible floor areas. I also waxed the the entire underside of the trunk lid and the rain water drain around the trunk opening. The final picture is of the 4-doors trunk.
We'll be sure to get some good pictures at Saturdays car show. I am expecting some of my fellow soldiers to be coming to check out the car as well.

000_1258.jpg

000_1259.jpg

000_1260.jpg

000_1261.jpg

000_1262.jpg

000_1263.jpg

000_1264.jpg

Well today all the elbow grease finally paid off in our second car show we've entered the Dart in. My son placed 2nd in the Classic MOPAR category. We heard the judges say they were impressed with the clean, uncluttered engine bay. And even though the trunk area wasn't part of the judgeing, they commented on it as well. I just wish we could have had the interior dash transferred from the 4-door before this show. Jeffrey was the youngest trophy winner of the 40 that were given out for all the various classes, (he's 15). While it was a local show, there were easliy in excess of 125 vehicles, possibly over 150. The show was hosted by a primarliy Mustang club and all proceeds went to the Childrens Miracle Network. I must say it was a well organized show and was family oriented. There were tons of Mustangs, Camero's, Corvettes, Chevelle's, low-riders, and "Tuners". But there was also a 1950 Mercury Monteray, 1976 AMC Matador, 1976 Lincoln Continental, and a few other types through-out the crowd. I have included a picture of a small boy helping his dad clean his rims on the 1967 Camero they entered. Even though it's a "Chebby", it was good to see the father/son interest in cars being passed down to a new generation, and at least it wasn't a "Tuner". The kid in the close up with the over-size ball cap is my 10 year old and future MOPAR enthusiast. The display we have in front of the car on the stand is pictures of the car when we found it as well as the left frame showing what we've done and have planned to do, and the right frame is a trivia sheet of what was going on in 1974. It drew alot of looks and response, especially from the older crowd.
The winner of the 1st place Classic Mopar class was a gentleman named Mr. Morgan. He bought his 1970 Dart GT just days after returning from Vietnam and has had it ever since. His car is sweet and he's a real nice guy to talk to. I turned him on to this site and I hope he see's this as he has said that he has visited the site since we last met earlier this year. The local newspaper here is going to do a story on him after the first of the year about how he has had the car for 40 years.
Hope you all enjoy the pic's. I'll post the 1970 Dart pic's shortly.

000_1269.jpg

000_1270.jpg

000_1271.jpg

000_1272.jpg

000_1280.jpg

000_1281.jpg

000_1283.jpg

000_1265.jpg

000_1273.jpg

000_1275.jpg

These pictures are of the 1st place winner in the Classic MOPAR category. This 1970 Dart GT is very clean. Originally a 318 car, it now has a 340. He's won a slew of trophies and plaques. One of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. This spring he will have owned the car 40 years and the local paper will be doing a story on him and the car. Enjoy!

000_1276.jpg

000_1277.jpg

000_1278.jpg

000_1279.jpg

000_1282.jpg

Sweet! This car has come a long way in the short time you and your son have owned it. I love it!

I like that placement of the Tach under the second screw of the instrument cluster. I think we may try that. Our under dash mount was temporary for now anyways. We just wanted to see what RPM it was idleing at while we attempted to tune the car.

Another place I really like is the A pillar. Simply remove one of the screws holding the trim on. Put a piece of two sided tape on the bottom of the tachs mount,and use the trim screw to mount it to the pillar. Mount your tach to the base. Lots of clearance and I was able to angle the tach perfectly towards myself. A slight glance was all that was needed to see the tach clearly.

Nice work, guys. I went to that show a couple of years ago, and like you said, they have quite a mix of different cars there. At that time, it was pretty heavy into "tuners". Glad to see at least two of you proudly represented MOPAR, and tell your son "congrats" on the trophy. It's already evident that the hard work he is putting into that car is starting to pay off.

You guys need to check out the big cruise-in that is held on the first Saturday of each month at the "Church of the Open Door" in Bellmead (north edge of Waco). They may be getting close to the end of their season, so I don't know if they will be meeting any more past October.

By the way, did anyone else notice on the 1st place guy's sign sitting on his engine that it says, "3.91 POSI-TRAC"?

your son looks like he was tickled Panther Pink with that trophy.... feels good ... dont it ?

Nice job representin'

-RPM

Funny how you fall into possible parts and pieces for cars. My son was talking with the next door neighbor yesterday and mentioned we were thinking of swaping motors between the 4 and 2 doors. He makes a call to a friend, and this friends has a rebuilt 318 and trans sitting in his garage he's willing to part with for $800. He claims it makes around 275HP. I have yet to see this motor and maybe we'll go check it out this weekend. Does this sound like a good deal depnding on what he's done, (which I'll find out when we go look at it)?
We looked at the front disks and rear drums of the 4 door today, and they look much better than the 2 doors. Disc look smooth with real good pads and the shoes look real good in the drums. I think we'll just swap both the cars brake systems this spring. Wish I'd taken pictures to post but it didn't even cross my mind.

Today we finally had some warm, dry, sunny weather in which to do some work on the Dart again. I picked up some ramps off Craigslist this morning for $20 from a guy that had a 1970 Chevelle in his garage he was building. So we talked cars for about 15 minutes before I headed home. Once home we jacked up the car, (4-door) and pulled the starter out to check it out since it didn't seem to be catching the flywheel fully. To get that starter down, we had to remove the drivers side exhaust system, which we planned to do anyways since we want to install it onto the Swinger. Well sure enough, the teeth on the starter were chewed up but the flywheel looked fine. We went ahead and dropped the passenger side exhaust as well. Sunday we plan to remove them the rest of the way. If we have good weather next week, we hope to finish the exhaust swap between the two Darts. Then we'll go with square chrome tips to complete the look. The boy's excited to get the work done and improve the looks and sound of the car.

000_1328.jpg

000_1327.jpg

Today we were going to merely finish removing the dual exhaust system from the 4-door and do more work next weekend. Instead we finished removing the duals, and then we removed the old single exhaust from the Swinger. We still had plenty of time so we installed the duals back on to the Swinger. Those duals were welded as one solid piece, so to remove them we had to cut the ends off to get them out from over the rear axle. Next weekend we'll install the tail pipes and put on some chrome tips. The old rusty single pipe will now go on the 4-door and recieve a quiet muffler. I was worried that the old manifold flange bolts would be impossible to remove. The 4-doors came off very easy which really surprised us. However the Swinger put up a fight but we eventually broken the bolts free without mangling the bolts and nuts. The pipes and hangers lined up perfectly which I was concerned about going from a 4-door to the Swinger, but everything hangs neat and straight.
On a side note, the drive shaft on the 4-door had the following written on it with yellow paint pen, "76 Charger 904". I'll try and get a picture of that but did this drive shaft possibly come from a 76 Charger?

000_1332.jpg

000_1329.jpg

000_1330.jpg

000_1331.jpg

000_1334.jpg

000_1333.jpg

000_1335.jpg

Looking good!
Always making more and more progress!
Thats a great thing!

I took my Dart for a ride tonight.
Havent done a thing to it since the end of the summer.
I have been collecting parts though!

While we were removing the duals from the 4-door, we also pulled the starter because it didn't seem to be engaging properly. It would engage but then start a clunking noise so my guess is that it wasn't throwing out fully. We also found "76 Charger 904" and "DAP" painted with paint pen on the drive shaft. Were Darts and Charger parts that inter-changable?

000_1341.jpg

000_1342.jpg

000_1336.jpg

000_1339.jpg

Well today we were able to finally finish installing the dual exhaust system on the Swinger. It may not be professionally installed with Flowmasters, but it is a vast improvement in looks and sound over the single Thrush that we did have. We purchased two sections of pipe to re-attach the tail pipes where we had to cut them to remove them from the 4-door donor car. We picked up chrome tips with square ends which will go on tomorrow since we ran out of day light this evening.
The wife and I stood behind the car and told Jeffrey to fire up the car for it's first "sound check" with the tail pipes installed. It was quite an improvement and the grin on his face as he climbed out and faced us told us he liked it as well, haha. We'll post pictures tomorrow after we get the chrome tips installed.

000_1345.jpg

000_1347.jpg

000_1348.jpg

000_1349.jpg

000_1350.jpg

000_1352.jpg

-
Back