1974 Dart Swinger

-
The air filter is an Edelbrock, Pro-Flow, 14inch that we got from Auto Zone. The cost was $34.99. However we did have to buy an adaptor so it would fit the small 2-barrel carb. It was a Spectre Air Cleaner Riser & Adapter Kit, cost was $8.99 and the part number is 228335, also from Auto Zone.
That Dart at the dealership does look alot like ours. I was decoding some of the build sheet we found last night. Our cars color is Avecado Gold Irid, (iridescent?). I've also seen it called Avecado Gold Poly. Either way I say it is what we would call "metallic" today.
I have yet to get under the car and measure the transmissions dimensions, but I'm willing to bet it's a 904. This picture of the rear end would seem to confirm that it's a 7.25 rear. My build sheet shows the following numbers under the corresponding vehicle parts;
engine- 509
carb- 30
trans- 843
axle- 276
Can anyone tell me what these mean or direct me to where I can easily decode this build sheet? By the way, in the picture you'll see the Thrush Turbo exhaust we installed to the left. This is an aluminum bodied muffler. One back fire when we had a bad ignition module caused the swell and crimp in the side and ends of this muffler. It still sounds OK, but I believe we'll eventually replace it with a Flowmaster this spring when we run duals to the rear. Are there any other recommendations out there? We plan on keeping the stock exhaust manifolds and go with a single muffler that will split in to two tips. The tips we plan to use will be replica Dart items with the square openings. These will best go with the "square" lines of the rear end and look as original / stock as possible.

7.25 rear end.jpg

We plan on keeping the stock exhaust manifolds and go with a single muffler that will split in to two tips. The tips we plan to use will be replica Dart items with the square openings. These will best go with the "square" lines of the rear end and look as original / stock as possible.

it would be better just to run duals and get it over with. you will be paying almost as much by the time you split the pipes at the muffler and then run it to the back. just my opinion......

This picture of the rear end would seem to confirm that it's a 7.25 rear. My build sheet shows the following numbers under the corresponding vehicle parts;
engine- 509
carb- 30
trans- 843
axle- 276
Can anyone tell me what these mean or direct me to where I can easily decode this build sheet? /QUOTE]

the 276 axle code is the rear gear ratio. in the pic you can see the tag on the rear. it too says 2.76

the 509 is gonna be for the 318. your vin number will have the fifth letter of "g" this is also for 318. you engine block along the passenger side will have a smooth flat spot near where the oil pan is mounted it will also have your partial vin number stamped into it. this will prove if it is the original engine.

carb 30 is going to be for 2 bbl carb.

trans 843 is going to be for the 904 tranny. again you can look along the passenger side and you will find a flat area along the edge where the tranny pan is bolted to the transmission. there will be numbers stamped into the area and it will have your partial vin number stamped into it. this will confirn if it is the original transmission.

I second the motion for - go w/duals - it'll sound & perform better and be more fuel efficient as well. And, definitely go with the stock style MoPar exhaust tips they actually give the finishing "sound" touch to the exhaust notes.

Where do valve covers stand in the mix? Christmas gift maybe? It would add a perfect touch to the restored engine compartment, a basic set of chromies, or maybe a refurbished set of Mickey Thompsons.....
These are the ones I refinished for my big block.....
Picture340.jpg

Just a thought about the valve covers.They are easy to remove,scuff up and repaint to give it the stock appearance.Your son and you have been doing great work together.I just finished stripping a 73 swinger,mostly for front brake conversion for my 66 Dart.here,s pics.of before and after.keep up the good work.

73 dart special.jpg

73 dart special 033.jpg

Cool thread! I really like the pictures of the progress, I love doing minor stuff like that, it really makes the car look better while staying on the cheap side. Keep it going, I really enjoyed this!!

believe we're going to go with Edelbrock Chrome Valve Covers. They're not to expensive and will go nicely with the Edelbrock Pro-Flow air filter houseing. Other "small" chrome goodies will eventually be the alternator brackets and spaceing tube, (covers mounting bolts) as well as the brake master cylinder cover once we replace the brake cylinder. Anyone know a good source for the cylinder cover?

Pettybludart,
You wouldn't be wanting to sell the rear windows stainless trim would you? As well as any of the drip rail stainless? Those are about the only pieces were were missing that we want to replace other than the Dart / Swinger front fender emblems. My sons car is a 74, and I thought this was the first year for front disk brakes?

66340sedan,
Keeping it cheap while making the car reliable and the envy of his friends is the goal! I see posts where people are posting pictures of engine rebuilds, frame-off restorations, etc... and sometimes I feel like what we're doing is a little paltry to post but what the hey, we enjoy it and it's something my son has gotton a kick out of. He shows the thread to his friends so maybe we'll convert some of the bow-tie / blue-oval kids!

Hey Button. I see that your car did not have a t-stat. I wonder if the previous owner had issues with it over-heating since it only has a /6 radiator. have you had it out for a good drive since you put the t-stat in?

Love your thread, I soon hope to get mine going.

Currently we are still in the process of getting the car titled and registered. I checked with the state license plate section of the DMV to see if I could get personalized "Classic Car" plates for Texas. They did a quick check of my request for plates that will read "74DART" and said it was available. So we will be getting Texas classic car tags with the 74DART on them as soon as we can get the title situaution cleared up.
Now with that all said, we have not been able to drive the car much at all. I do start the car almost nightly and let it run 15 minutes or so just to keep things fresh since it did sit for a while before we purchased it. It idles smoother each time we run it.
I look forward to your thread starting. Let me know when it does so I can check it out. Hope you post plenty of pictures!

Well, I had some of the first car. I hope your title goes better then mine. I ended up scraping it and finding another car.

Pettybludart,
You wouldn't be wanting to sell the rear windows stainless trim would you? As well as any of the drip rail stainless? Those are about the only pieces were were missing that we want to replace other than the Dart / Swinger front fender emblems. My sons car is a 74, and I thought this was the first year for front disk brakes?quote]

correct if i'm wrong on this.... it all started in 73... disc brakes were standard on v8 model a-bodies and POWER disc brakes were standard on v8 models WITH A/C.

340 DART,
I'm always checking the Temple / Killeen area Craigslist but rarely does anything pop up, especially that nice. Our "fantastic progress" just never seems to go fast enough, or there's just not enough funds to do what we'd really like to do at the time. But I'm sure many can relate to that situation.

My sons car does not have AC, which would explain his manual brakes.

I may be able to help you out with the window trim. Just PM me.

So it looks as though I may be right!!! once in a row!!!! YES!!!!!

anyways, i'm really enjoying this thread cause my first dart was a 73 that was a father son project that i enjoyed a lot!!! but i sold that one years ago and then 2 years ago started the hunt for another and found the 74 (did you all put the name together yet.....7374.... yeah i know REAL creative....) that i've been working on for about a year now.... so it's great to see a father son project and also something that is really similar to what i've been doing... keep up the great work!!!!!

Well Jeff, I wish you lived closer. I would give you and your son a left fender for that car.

Hemipar,
I sent you an e-mail to your address you sent me, check it out. Thanks for the offer, but we'll just have this one repaired eventually. The body will be last to see attention, especially since he'll be a H.S. student driver. I'd hate to put a serious amount of work into the cars body and have it damaged by him or some other kid in the H.S. parking lot. Right now we're concentrating on the engine / under the hood. Then will probably be the brakes followed by all the front suspension rubber / shocks. The rubber seals around the windows, doors, and trunk will be next. The interior will be this summer when it's warm again.

Button,

Since we both have the same year, 74 318, what did you do with the vacuum line to the distributor from the air cleaner OSAC valve when you replaced the stock cleaner? I couldn't tell from your pics.

I don't have the stock air cleaner (therefore no OSAC valve) and my carb was apparently replaced with an incorrect 73 model so i'm trying to track down all my vacuum lines. My distributer is currently connected directly to the vacuum amplifier.

Thanks, Mike

Frostygreen318,
I'll have to get back to you on that. It's late here and below freezeing outside so I'll check tomorrow and let you know. I'll post some pictures of the area in question since a picture is worth a thousand words, so to speak. Are you looking for a stock air filter houseing?

Button,

Thanks for your help. I am possibly looking for a stock 74 air cleaner. I want to get this engine back to stock and running right, before building up another 318 later.

Thanks again.

Frostygreen318, (cool name)
If you go to page one of this thread and look at my very first post that started it all, you'll see a clear picture of our original stock airfilter housing, (after we painted it gloss black again). We don't really have a use for it now and it is just hanging on the wall in the garage. I don't ever think we'll restore the engine back to original so we might part with it, (I'll talk to my son and see if he agree's). If you are interested, PM me with your area code / location so I can figure out shipping. I can also send better pictures if you'd like.

-
Back