1974 Dodge Dart Swinger 2dr

-

sneke_eyez

1974 Dodge Dart 2dr 318V8
Reaction score
My father and I just purchased a 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger 2dr Hardtop with the 318 V8 in it as our new "father-son" project car!

Little bit of background:
I have wanted a muscle car my whole life, and with the encouragement of my grandfather, who has a 1966 Chevy Nova SS, my dad and I decided we wanted to get a project muscle car.
We began our search Easter Sunday, trying to find some decent Mopar muscle car that wouldn't hit us too hard in the wallet.
Our budget was $2,000, and we needed to stick to that, so it put a lot of the more well known cars out of our price range.
However, I became aware of the 73+ Dodge Dart as a cheaper alternative that I really liked the styling of, and a car you can fit a 340, 440, 5.7 Hemi, or even a 6.1 Hemi in...
Then the search became Dart exclusive, and after looking at many, many Darts and calling about many others, I found this 1974 on craigslist in Exeter, NH, which we looked at 2 Sundays ago, agreed to purchase for $1800, and picked up this past Sunday.

Specs:
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger 2dr Hardtop
Stock specs:
318 V8
3 Speed Automatic on the column
Currently 92k miles
Tan interior
Front Bench seat
No A/C

"Mods" it came with:
Flat Black Paint (yes, its horribly done...)
Mopar Magnum Wheels (in need of a repaint, but solid overall)
4bbl Carb
4bbl Edelbrock Intake
Brand new True Dual Exhaust with Flowmasters (unsure what model #, PO didn't know)
Mopar Go Wing
Black interior changeover in progress:
Door panels
Visors
Seatbelts

Alright, time for pics:
IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

Its not perfect, its a project car through and through, but I think I got a pretty good deal.
It runs pretty well, is rust free underneath and on the doors and door sills, and sounds pretty awesome.
It does need work though:
A new windshield
A new speedo cable (a new one was included)
New Tranny Lines (a pre-bent set was included)
New Driver's fender (a decent steel fender was included, but I plan to go fiberglass like the passenger side fender)
Some rear quarter rust work
Some Trunk repair (just small holes)
Interior work (My Specialty!)
The 318 runs a little rough and my friend and I think its because its a little off time. We plan to do a waterpump, timing chain, etc. etc. very soon...

Plans for her (this summerish):
Get the engine in brand new shape
Fix rust
Redo the flat black paintjob
Finish the black interior conversion
Bucket seats

Long term plans:
Engine swap (something large, 440, 5.7 Hemi, etc)
Paintjob (I don't know what color)

Like I said, I know its not perfect, but its MINE!
She'll be registered soon and will be a driveable project this summer.
I'll be working on everything from engine, to exterior, to interior, and learning all the while...
I'll be chronicalling the whole process in this thread, so stay tuned!

I like it.

Suggestion: Ditch the pink heater hose. That alone would make a difference.

Looks like a SOLID start!!

You got yerself a good start there. There's idiots out there who will drop that kind of cash on booze and dope in a month. You won't regret it, I'll guarantee it.

Take yer time, do it the way you and a few other people can agree on, and rely on these types of forums for help. It seems as if that's what we're here for.

Now if I may open a can of "when I was yer age" on you, we didn't have the Internet to find like-minded crazies out there when we did our first car. Take advantage of it and us.

Best of luck!! See you at Carlisle.

Thanks everyone for the congrats and the well-wishes!

So, in other news, I've got updates!

Friday, 4/25, inspection readiness began.
My dad and his mechanic friend fixed the tranny lines, no more leak!
They also replaced the speedo cable, which didn't fix our speedo issue.
Back to the drawing board...
All bulbs, were checked, several were replaced and a new socket for the passenger brakelight was ordered.
The windshield wiper motor was found to work, but was missing a retainer clip that they do not make anymore.
A system was mickeymoused that works, but is terribly noisy.
I'll be checking for this clip at the junkyard...

Saturday, yesterday, 4/26, we gutted the interior.
The old, original carpet was in shitty shape and frankly obstructing our view of what the floors looked like, and we wanted to get the rust on the floor sanded and treated with rust sealer.
Luckily, we were pleasantly surprised by the floors! (Only a few small holes on the driver's side, which we've already fabbed a patch for...)

We also sanded and sealed the trunk, and again, found only small holes (although worse than the floors, but still repairable)

The pictures aren't terribly awesome in terms of showing a lot, I forgot about my camera and pictures until we had the interior gutted already, and the trunk pics were taken while we were working because it was nearly dark by the time it was finished.

After gutting and a bit of rust scraping, you can see the holes in the first pic:
IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

After sanding and sealer:
IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

While working on the trunk, thats me and my dad and my grandfather:
IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

New black carpet and padding will be ordered momentarily.
I'm making a yard run tomorrow to a yard that supposedly has some A-bodies, so we'll see what I can come up with for things we need and things we want.

great car. i'm working on my grandpa's 74 swinger right now. i know exactly what you're going through with all that rust in the floor and the leaks in just about evrything. good luck with your project! i wish my grandpa was still around to enjoy it with me. you are truely lucky to have 3 generations pitching in.

if you ever want any pictures of my project or need any advice, feel free to write me a personal message. i'm just getting to the final stages of the build now. i took my interior over to black from exactly that color! i have some stories about dying upolstery and painting plastic parts...

nice project,that center tail panel is really hard to find in that good of shape, good luck and enjoy the build

Ehh, I wish the tail panel was perfect, its got a dent at the lower right hand corner that bugs the crap out of me.
There was a perfect one on ebay a week or so ago, but I didn't have the cash, I had just bought the car...

In other news, the rear quarter patch panels were ordered today!

Cool! 8) That is going to be a great project!

Our first Mope was a 75 318 that was the same color as that one. We built it for the wife to bracket race in and ran it for a couple of years. It ended up being flat black and is currently on its way to England.

[sarcasm]So, guess I really kept up on the updates to this thread eh??[/sarcasm]

Well, its been a summer of blood, sweat and money poured into the Dart.

Its still flat black, but the interior has been extensively redone and the 318 has been completely rebuilt, as well as topped with a new carb, an Edelbrock 650, some nifty suspension modifications, and a lot more.

I've got a bunch of new pictures of the car and the state its in right now, I just need to get them uploaded and then post them.
I just thought I'd bump the thread up because the project is going well.

Cool.

Enjoy that Father/ Son time together.

Some of us never had that luxury, but I think it just makes us better Dad's.

In case I missed it in the thread, what is the black coating that you are putting on the floor pans to cover the rust? My son and I have the Avecado Green, 74 Dart Swinger that is also listed under the restorations section and will be doing the same thing. I wish our dash panels looked as good as yours do.

Nice project.
I suggest you seek and cure the water leaks that caused the floor rust. Otherwise your new carpet will mildew and smell. Wiper pivot seals are a llikely culprit.
A new truck lid seal will help back there too. Exact replacement is available but a more modern type (hollow tube on U shaped channel) can be found at most any parts yard. I used a door jamb seal from a ford pickup. Takes a little more effort to close the lid but it dont leak. Happy moparing :)

In case I missed it in the thread, what is the black coating that you are putting on the floor pans to cover the rust? My son and I have the Avecado Green, 74 Dart Swinger that is also listed under the restorations section and will be doing the same thing. I wish our dash panels looked as good as yours do.

The black paint we are using is a product called Hammerite Rust Cap.
It is a paint and a rust sealer all in one, and effectively "caps" the rust, preventing it from doing any further damage.

I have been following along with your project and I will be posting updates to mine soon.
As for the dash panels, I'm getting ready to redo the dash in black as the rest of the interior is now black (one of those updates I haven't done yet)

Nice project.
I suggest you seek and cure the water leaks that caused the floor rust. Otherwise your new carpet will mildew and smell. Wiper pivot seals are a llikely culprit.
A new truck lid seal will help back there too. Exact replacement is available but a more modern type (hollow tube on U shaped channel) can be found at most any parts yard. I used a door jamb seal from a ford pickup. Takes a little more effort to close the lid but it dont leak. Happy moparing :)

We found the leaks that caused the floor rust, actually, it was two small holes on the driver's floorboard that had continuously soaked the carpet and insulation, creating the rust on the other side.
The car had not been driven in rain of any kind when we got it and the pad was still soaked, presumably from the winter or the last time the previous owner drove it in the rain.

We've had new carpet in the car since June, and have had no issues with it getting wet, and we have been checking.
Although, the car is garaged and it is rare for us to drive the car in the rain, so take that for what its worth...

As for the trunk gasket, I actually picked one up at Carlisle 08 for a decent price and we installed it. It is the U shaped style you discussed.
At first we had some real issues closing the trunk, but its starting to flatten the gasket out now and hopefully will settle down, as the trunk sits about a tenth of an inch above the surface of the body now...
No more leaks there.

Still, I appreciate the advice!

Updates soon, I promise.

The wheels are the Mopar Road Wheels, or Magnum 500s, I've heard them called both.

The front tires are 215/70/14 and they rub a bit when you turn the steering wheel all the way one way or the other, but they look nice.
The rear tires are 245/60/14. They fit decently with the non-air shocks and now that we've got the airshocks, they fit perfectly, with no rubbing issues at all.

Well, I've got some updates to the thread, but I didn't realize I couldn't go back and edit my original post?
Thats too bad, because I've done a lot and just have a nice big update to the first post I did on another forum...

Well, I've got some updates to the thread, but I didn't realize I couldn't go back and edit my original post?
Thats too bad, because I've done a lot and just have a nice big update to the first post I did on another forum...
Whats wrong with a new post containing updates ? You made a new post complaining.:bootysha:

Dunno about others but I wont go back to posts from days earlier looking for edits.
Anyway...
I was waiting for you to find water in the right floor again at some point.
I understand the wicking factor of the padding and the capilillary (spelt) property of water (3rd grade science). Still, I can't imagine a leak on the left side of the tunnel rusting the floor on the right side. That much water would go to the left rear floor. Time will tell.

Meanwhile... progress ?

Fair enough...

Updates:
Two categories, stuff we've modified since we've bought the car, and stuff we've just plain fixed:
Mods:
Exterior:
Chrome Gas Cap
Engine Bay and Underside of Hood Painted Satin Black

Engine:
4bbl Edelbrock 600 CFM Carburetor Specifically designed for the 318
4bbl Edelbrock Streetmaster 318 Intake
14'' Chrome Air Cleaner

Suspension:
New Monroe front shocks
Monroe Rear Air Shocks
Just Suspensions Front Swaybar Kit

Interior:
Black half vinyl, half cloth bucket front seats from a 1971 Cuda.
Original Back seat, dyed black
1969 Dart GT Center Console
Center Console Shifter
Black Carpet
Black Door Panels
Compass, Temp, Autodim, Homelink, Maplight Rearview Mirror from a 2001 Stratus R/T (not wired up yet)

Audio
Alpine CD Player (Model # escapes me at the moment)
Kicker 6x9 rear deck speakers

Other work done:
Engine:
completely removed
every freeze plug replaced
timing chain gasket replaced
timing chain visually inspected - brand new
oil pickup screen cleaned
intake gasket replaced
block flushed to remove any gunk within it
block painted Hemi Orange
Plugs & Wires replaced
Stock 4bbl Carter AFB Carb replaced with 4bbl Edelbrock 600CFM Carb
14'' Chrome Air Cleaner Added
All hoses replaced with new
Engine Bay degreased and visually inspected for rust
Engine Bay and front K-member painted Satin Black

Brakes Overhauled:
Front -
Rotors inspected
New pads
Rear -
Drums inspected
New Shoes

Transmission:
Inspected
New Transmission Lines
Changed Transmission Fluid

Rust Repair:
Sanded and repaired body filler in rear quarters
patched small holes in trunk
patched small holes in tail piece
patched small hole in driver's floorboard
replaced driver's side fender

Misc:
All Exterior Marker Bulbs replaced
Gauge Cluster Replaced
Speedometer Cable replaced
New Center Cap purchased for rear passenger side wheel

Coming soon:
Wire up rearview mirror
Stock style remote Driver's Side Mirror
Black Carpet Skirt for Center Console
New Front Turn Signals
Just Suspensions Rear Swaybar Kit
New Rear Quarter Panels
Paint
Grant GT Steering Wheel
New Black Headliner
Black Dashpad

Pictures
Did a nice photoshoot with the car at the end of the summer.
I've never shot a flat black car before, so I had some issues with the lighting and such, but I got some good pics.
IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

Link to the rest of the photoshoot pics: (some good ones in here if you care)
http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/sneke_eyez/1974 Dodge Dart 2dr/Photoshoots/

As for any sort of other rust issues on the right side, there are no holes there, so theres no way for there to be any other rust.
We've been checking the new carpet and padding and it hasn't had any dampness issues, and neither has the right side of the car.
The literal problem appears to be that the old carpet sat in the car soaked with water in a damp and humid barn in Pennsylvania.

You guys have been hard at work! Things are really coming along.
Here is mine.
l_a22dc24afc7016cfcaae3bee3f1f7f62.jpg

sneke_eyez,
We planned to do exactly what you did, posting all the goodies we've done. Right now I'm keeping a listing but it also includes the cost of every nut, bolt, and item we've added or replaced. We hope to have the car inspected and tagged soon so we can post some "scenic" pictures as well. Your engine bay looks alot like my sons. Next for us is chrome valve covers and alternator brackets. We look forward to seeing more pictures. Here's our latest pic.

car front.jpg

sneke_eyez,
We planned to do exactly what you did, posting all the goodies we've done. Right now I'm keeping a listing but it also includes the cost of every nut, bolt, and item we've added or replaced. We hope to have the car inspected and tagged soon so we can post some "scenic" pictures as well. Your engine bay looks alot like my sons. Next for us is chrome valve covers and alternator brackets. We look forward to seeing more pictures. Here's our latest pic.

I wanted to keep a nice excel spreadsheet of every cent we've spent on the car, but my dad refuses, he doesn't want to know how much money we've got into it, because he knows once its done that we'll wish we just bought a car that was already done...
I don't think I will, the reason I wanted the car was to fix it up!

-
Back