1974 Scamp some assembly required

-
Reworked/shortened driveshaft will be ready tomorrow. The goal for the weekend is to test fire the jy 360 and see what we're working with.

Hooking everything up for a test fire tomorrow.
20190504_194058.jpg
20190504_194048.jpg
20190504_194035.jpg

Dang man your really on a roll now that thing is just falling together perfectly!! I havent got Jack done!!
As good as you are when your done with yours you can come on up to va and help with mine! Haha. Seriously tho man that thing is coming together perfectly! This has become my favorite build on fabo!

Dang man your really on a roll now that thing is just falling together perfectly!! I havent got Jack done!!
As good as you are when your done with yours you can come on up to va and help with mine! Haha. Seriously tho man that thing is coming together perfectly! This has become my favorite build on fabo!

Thanks buddy. Better yet bring it down here and let me help you out. You want to move and I'll have an open bay soon :)

Man if I could find a job and home in Florida I'd take that offer lol. I have a brother in Florida so I'd be closer to him and my wife loves the beach down there. Idk about the heat tho man it sure gets hot down there.

He's on Merritt Island I think you said? Wouldn't be that hard. If you got kids that's different. And yes, summer does SUCK. But it's better than sleety, rainy, snowy winters.

Got everything hooked up yesterday for test fire. Late in the afternoon gave it a try. Nothing, nada. Turns over but not one single pop spit sputter. Did some checks, everything looks o.k. I think. Had me scratchin my *** a little. Then I was laying in bed thinking about it and it dawned on me. Before I put the distributor in I torqued the harmonic balancer bolt. Spun around a little. Tried to back it up and the timing gear backed up and out. So I ran it all the way around back to TDC. Timing gear back down, all good, pointed at no 1. Then dropped the distributor in. Rotor on number 1. Duh.

Last edited:
He's on Merritt Island I think you said? Wouldn't be that hard. If you got kids that's different. And yes, summer does SUCK. But it's better than sleety, rainy, snowy winters.
Yes Merritt island. It's a beautiful place.

Got everything hooked up yesterday for test fire. Late in the afternoon gave it a try. Nothing, nada. Turns over but not one single pop spit sputter. Did some checks, everything looks o.k. I think. Had me scratchin my *** a little. Then I was laying in bed thinking about it and it dawned on me. Before I put the distributor in I torqued the harmonic balancer bolt. Spun around a little. Tried to back it up and the timing gear backed up and out. So I ran it all the way around back to TDC. Timing gear back down, all good, pointed at no 1. Then dropped the distributor in. Rotor on number 1. Duh.
Any 2nd attempt after the timing issue was solved? I dont know how you slept a wink without getting it to start lol.

Any 2nd attempt after the timing issue was solved? I dont know how you slept a wink without getting it to start lol.
Yep had a few minutes this evening. Distributor was 180 out and finally got a little noise out of her. AND a backfire. Then nothing. Hmmmmmm.
Back to the drawing board. I'm confident with the coil, ECU, distributor, ballast and harness. I did however through on a rotor, cap and wires I wasn't sure about. Sure as **** took it all apart and found a badly corroded in the cap coil wire (that's embarrassing). How did that happen? I was excited. Doesn't matter, should have checked them. One bad plug wire, too. Back to O'Reilly's. Try again tomorrow.

Yep had a few minutes this evening. Distributor was 180 out and finally got a little noise out of her. AND a backfire. Then nothing. Hmmmmmm.
Back to the drawing board. I'm confident with the coil, ECU, distributor, ballast and harness. I did however through on a rotor, cap and wires I wasn't sure about. Sure as **** took it all apart and found a badly corroded in the cap coil wire (that's embarrassing). How did that happen? I was excited. Doesn't matter, should have checked them. One bad plug wire, too. Back to O'Reilly's. Try again tomorrow.
Did you check to see if you are getting spark at the plugs?
While you have them pulled check and aee if you are getting fuel.
Did it run before the backfire? If so how long?

Did you check to see if you are getting spark at the plugs?
While you have them pulled check and aee if you are getting fuel.
Did it run before the backfire? If so how long?
No, never ran. Fuel is good to go. Pumps good. Carbs good.
The coil wire and cap is trash, no way was it getting good consistent spark at the plugs Trust me there, lol. Used **** I had hanging around the shop. Looked good, but pulled the coil wire out and the end crumbled. Oops.
If you saw it, you would wonder what the hell was I thinking. Gonna start with new ignition parts before I start troubleshooting, if it's nessasary. I fully expect it to run. Thanks, though.
I'll update tomorrow.

No, never ran. Fuel is good to go. Pumps good. Carbs good.
The coil wire and cap is trash, no way was it getting good consistent spark at the plugs Trust me there, lol. Used **** I had hanging around the shop. Looked good, but pulled the coil wire out and the end crumbled. Oops.
If you saw it, you would wonder what the hell was I thinking. Gonna start with new ignition parts before I start troubleshooting, if it's nessasary. I fully expect it to run. Thanks, though.
I'll update tomorrow.
Cool deal. Yea that sounds like it would be a problem.
Take some videos of the start up!

OK so we installed new ignition parts. Only exception was the ecu. Tried it. Still nothing. Nothing from timing light. Swapped ecu with another. Re-set to compression on cylinder 1. Now where cooking. Tried to start but still not quite. Hit's and pops out the carb. Adjusted the dist, only gets worse. Tried and tried. Tried dist 180 out. Just in case. WAY worse. Tried a second distributor, same results. Really starting to think I'm a tooth off on timing chain. That's what it acts like. However, I will have a brand new ECU tomorrow I will try, just in case it's doing something wierd. Checked and re-checked the plug wires. Then had my son check them. Told him to find the crossed wires. He said, nope all good dad.
Edit: Not just wingin it here. Actually doing this methodically. Will re-verify tdc and ready to fire on cylinder 1 with a few degrees advance and reluctor pointing at the pick-up. Again.
Any thoughts? Missing something?

Last edited:
Didnt you post a picture of the timing chain? I will go back and look it seems like we would have noticed it being off

I went back and looked and found the pic that you posted. I can't see the dots ?

20190326_181400.jpg

-
Back