1974 Scamp some assembly required

-
Spare tire well in.

20180815_193941.jpg
20180815_193951.jpg

Hi Dan, I'm very interested in your build !! I really want to do the tail swap on my 74...would love to see/Hear what you run into while doing it !! A couple of questions, since you mocked it up already if you don't mind. My car is already painted. It looks like maybe this can be done without having to repaint the quarters?? I know i'll have to paint the new/Older Quarter extenstions,The new/old lower pan and old tail panel and trunk lip on the inside...but hopefully NOT have to change and paint the existing Quarters ??.. also you can still use the 74 Trunk lid right?? I HATE the Tail panel on my 74 !! Oh, I've also heard that you will have to add some trunk floor ?? could you clarify ?? Thanks in advance and best of luck with It !!!

16403245_1453647801336822_4338497821159361753_o.jpg

You are totally screwed, because that coolant recovery tank does not go to that car. :poke::D

Seriously though, I've seen way worse come out really nice so that aint so bad.

Good deal too.

Hi Dan, I'm very interested in your build !! I really want to do the tail swap on my 74...would love to see/Hear what you run into while doing it !! A couple of questions, since you mocked it up already if you don't mind. My car is already painted. It looks like maybe this can be done without having to repaint the quarters?? I know i'll have to paint the new/Older Quarter extenstions,The new/old lower pan and old tail panel and trunk lip on the inside...but hopefully NOT have to change and paint the existing Quarters ??.. also you can still use the 74 Trunk lid right?? I HATE the Tail panel on my 74 !! Oh, I've also heard that you will have to add some trunk floor ?? could you clarify ?? Thanks in advance and best of luck with It !!!
View attachment 1715212970
Don't mind at all. Very nice car you have there. Besides the aesthetics, think of the wieght you'll be losing!
Unfortunately, I didn't do the disassembly so I can only give my best guess on the quarter paint. I think maybe you can do the swap without to much damage, if you are very careful. There's spot welds on the rear corners of the quarters that have to be delt with to remove the 74 tail panel and trunk gutters. Spotweld cutter bit would be your best bet, probably. Not sure about the bottom of the quarters behind the bumper of a 74. But that's where the rear 73 valance will be welded in. And yes it looks like in a couple spots above where the bumper shocks were, on the trunk floor, I will need to add some metal to join it to the tail panel. The rear quarter caps bolt on with self cutter nuts. Re-welding is were I would me most concerned if I gave a crap about the paint. But that's not a problem for me. LOL

You are totally screwed, because that coolant recovery tank does not go to that car. :poke::D

Seriously though, I've seen way worse come out really nice so that aint so bad.

Good deal too.

Tanks for sale, lol

IDK, I thought with all the parts and spares that came with the car I did alright........

But Is it smart to put a $500 floor pan in a $500 car? Haha
Is to me..........

Hey Earl don't forget the bumper and brackets for 73 and before. I ended up with a 4 light 1971 Dart setup. It was cheap.

Thanks Dan,
So you're keeping the 74 front, I did as well but also did some mods...... I see in your pics your front bumper is stock,with the huge heavy reinforcement bar.... like you to eliminate weight, and to facilitate a better look. We removed the reinfocement bar and just used the brackets...slotted them and slid the front Bumper WAAAY back literally just under the grill to help the horrendous look these cars used to have !! looks more like a duster front end now... Also painted most of grill Black except one center bar silver...
39580607_2105343596167236_474734061055639552_n.jpg
39514814_2104139192954343_2175690394744913920_n.jpg
You can see in these photo's.....

Hey Dan,
The car you got the Bumper off of......Was its tail panel still there and Good ????
No, it's rusty. As was the one I got the quarter caps off of :(. If your looking I think Moparmat2000 has one for sale. Or post up a wanted ad for one. Lot's of guys parting cars!

Thanks Dan,
So you're keeping the 74 front, I did as well but also did some mods...... I see in your pics your front bumper is stock,with the huge heavy reinforcement bar.... like you to eliminate weight, and to facilitate a better look. We removed the reinfocement bar and just used the brackets...slotted them and slid the front Bumper WAAAY back literally just under the grill to help the horrendous look these cars used to have !! looks more like a duster front end now... Also painted most of grill Black except one center bar silver... View attachment 1715213556 View attachment 1715213557 You can see in these photo's.....
Yeah I already decided that hunk of iron on the front bumper has to go. I'll try the slot and slide method when the time comes, thanks! I like the looks of that. But technically my Scamp has a Duster front and is tucked a little better. More like a 73. Don't know why Dodge went wild on the front bumper but Plymouth didn't?
74 Scamp (not mine, lol):

ha0414-178987_1@2x.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I already decided that hunk of iron on the front bumper has to go. I'll try the slot and slide method when the time comes, thanks! I like the looks of that. But technically my Scamp has a Duster front and is tucked a little better. More like a 73. Don't know why Dodge went wild on the front bumper but Plymouth didn't?
74 Scamp (not mine, lol):

View attachment 1715213669
Cool, I'll check on that tail panel for sale....and , If you wanna go back to Bone stock...Lol....I can hook you up with those exact wheels hubcaps and tires !!! They were on my car !!!

Thanks Dan,
So you're keeping the 74 front, I did as well but also did some mods...... I see in your pics your front bumper is stock,with the huge heavy reinforcement bar.... like you to eliminate weight, and to facilitate a better look. We removed the reinfocement bar and just used the brackets...slotted them and slid the front Bumper WAAAY back literally just under the grill to help the horrendous look these cars used to have !! looks more like a duster front end now... Also painted most of grill Black except one center bar silver... View attachment 1715213556 View attachment 1715213557 You can see in these photo's.....
NICE TOUCH!

1000 spot welds later the tail panels are almost in. Trunk floor to tail braces, latch bracket, align the quarter caps and trunk lid still to do. This is easier when you remember your welds don't have to look like factory welds and this ain't a concourse restoration. Damn there's a bunch of them! Like my buddy said, it's a trunk. And seam sealer is your friend. It's interesting how the spot welds from the factory were in different places for the hodgepodge of 71, 72, 73 and 74 parts I have. And generally speaking the earlier the car, more spot welds. Anyhoo, its good practice for that full floor pan that's next.

20180903_192132.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back