1986 police engine

-
Still no OP since when the thread was started. We're just wandering around talking to ourselves. :lol:
It's only been about three days. Not everyone checks in every day. There are some sites I check only about once a week, and some very occasionally. Others several time a day (like FABO, and slantsix.org). But Even those sites might get missed for several days, due to traveling, or other reasons.

It's only been about three days. Not everyone checks in every day. There are some sites I check only about once a week, and some very occasionally. Others several time a day (like FABO, and slantsix.org). But Even those sites might get missed for several days, due to traveling, or other reasons.
True that. Often on our end, we see questions that obviously the OP's want answered.

Roller cam era 318s were 9.2:1 compression from the factory and were likely very close to advertised vs the "much lower" than advertised earlier engines.

We should be able to take the compression height of a replacement piston spec and the cc volume of the head (once we figure out which head it is and verify the spec) and do the math to see how that affected it.

Yea, they definitely got that one wrong 66fs!

Only reference I can find anywhere else is that the cranks were specially treated but definitely not forged.

I had a Police 360. It had a premium "CFD" shot peened cast crank, windage tray, and an updated 340 com, but it was pre-roller lifters.

That 1986 Roller Block should have already had the Flat Top 9.2:1 c.r. pistons, .040 ths down in the hole.

'91 318 Roller.jpeg

They probably lost some compression with the 360 open chamber heads vs the standard 302 Closed Chamber Heads. Maybe dropped it back because of the emission demands of the day and the government funded contracts for the Police cars?

Good breathing large port intake and heads with the 1.88/1.60 360 valves and 340 cam. But then lose compression at the same time.....

☆☆☆☆☆

Any details/pictures? Never heard of anything like that.
I've owned/parted out a couple of those police diplomats. IF they came with the oil cooler, one of the fuel pump bolts are hollow and an oil return line is fed through there. I don't have a picture of one, those cars are some years in my past.

I've owned/parted out a couple of those police diplomats. IF they came with the oil cooler, one of the fuel pump bolts are hollow and an oil return line is fed through there. I don't have a picture of one, those cars are some years in my past.

Was there an adapter between the oil filter and the block? Where did the oil start from? Assuming the cooler was in front of the radiator.

I had an '88 Diplomat cop car and it had the auxiliary trans cooler and PS cooler, but don't remember it having an oil cooler.

Still have the huge alternator bracket and 110 amp alternator, PS cooler and (maybe) trans cooler. Time to trash some of that stuff. Except the PS cooler, that's small and too cool to get rid of.

Was there an adapter between the oil filter and the block? Where did the oil start from? Assuming the cooler was in front of the radiator.

I had an '88 Diplomat cop car and it had the auxiliary trans cooler and PS cooler, but don't remember it having an oil cooler.

Still have the huge alternator bracket and 110 amp alternator, PS cooler and (maybe) trans cooler. Time to trash some of that stuff. Except the PS cooler, that's small and too cool to get rid of.
I believe (don't quote me for sure) the oil came from the oil sending unit, through the cooler, and back through the fuel pump bolt.

I believe (don't quote me for sure) the oil came from the oil sending unit, through the cooler, and back through the fuel pump bolt.
That's correct. I had one years ago when I didn't realize how many good parts were there to save. I bought the car with a bad trans for $100 to get the 360 heads and intake and scrapped the rest of the car. The exhaust on mine had a precat on both sides of the y-pipe and then another larger cat after the y. I'd sure like to have it back now.

I have the oil cooler setup on my ‘67 Barracuda. Trashed the old oil lines and used braided.

IMG_0116.jpeg

64158827466__9C2D0B9D-1DF4-43F9-9339-565B5519DC41.jpeg

Now this is interesting. Here is an interesting combination, 318 4 barrel engine with 360 heads on a Roller Cam Block?

View attachment 1716108453

Have to see what other information is available on the Police 318 out on the internet?

☆☆☆☆☆
I have to disagree on the mileage. I had a 86' 5th Ave with the roller cam and got 22-23 miles per gal. Not sure of the rear gearing, but I'm sure that was a factor. It also had the "Lock-Out" converter. It acted like I had a 4th gear. It was a Great family car.

Possibly a 2.4x:1 gear.

Very common in those cars.

Agree on the lock up A999(ish) trans.

True 1:1 is a nice benefit comparable the the bonus a manual trans gets.

I have the oil cooler setup on my ‘67 Barracuda. Trashed the old oil lines and used braided.

View attachment 1716108973

View attachment 1716108974
It looks like to me if you're taking pressurized oil from the back of the block at the China wall running it through a cooler and then to an open hole bolt at the fuel pump you would be dropping the oil pressure because you would have a line wide open. Just a thought I had.

I have to disagree on the mileage. I had a 86' 5th Ave with the roller cam and got 22-23 miles per gal. Not sure of the rear gearing, but I'm sure that was a factor. It also had the "Lock-Out" converter. It acted like I had a 4th gear. It was a Great family car.
My 88 diplomat get 23-24 mph on the hiwy. Not so much around town.

The roller cam teen with the higher compression and swirl port heads is a bit more efficient than the old teens but not by much. My original 70 318 get's 18+ on a nice day. The 2.xx rear gear and the lock up convertor get's you close to the mid 20's.

I parted out a couple of dozen '85-9 Diplomats/Grand Fury police package vehicles through the years. They all had 360 heads and intake. The '85-7 had flat tappet cams ( but also had the bosses for roller cam), the '88-9 had rollers. IIRC, they all had 998 transmissions, sure grip 10 bolt rears, dual exhaust and cats, and 100amp charging systems. All the other heavy duty police stuff too.

I have a high volume oil pump, and the pressure stays at or above normal pressure. The cooler has a heat sensitive valve. From what I have read the need to provide better oiling to the timing chain was why it squirts the chain. The crank to cam distance is long compared to most motors. So far so good on my motor.

-
Back