1987 Dodge D150 pickup 5.2l 318 cid

-
This is a reply to the young man that posted this thread:

"Dodge D150 318 5.2"
@Dodge D

20221030_201332.jpg

I believe things got off on the wrong track for you to get your 318 build questions answered.

Realizing you are 23 years old. Welcome to FABO

Here is what you have now with your 1987 318:

It is a carbureted, roller lifter, 9.2:1 compression engine with flat top pistons (that sit .040 ths down in the hole).

This engine came factory with the Closed Chambered 302 Heads like the ones pictured here:
1020161100.jpg

Here is what your 1987 Roller Lifter 318 engine looks like:
0217181441.jpg

With the good 9.2:1 compression pistons already in the block.

A good first step is to take what you have, clean things up.

Select the camshaft of your choice (not too big), install a 4 bbl intake manifold, and something like an Edelbrock 1406 4 barrel carburetor, these are jetted right to work well with the 318s.

This will give the engine the fuel it needs to wake it up. The 2bbl carb you have on it now is an economy carb and your engine simply needs a little more fuel to get it to perform nicely.

20200608_201627.jpg

Same build pictured below here running the 4 bbl on the engine run stand. Later went into my 1976 D100 and performed very nicely.

Resized_20200712_194110_8421.jpeg

'76 D100 318 4 bbl.
Screenshot_20210101-110837_Messages.jpg

Good Luck on your Project!

☆☆☆☆☆

Last edited:
I tried to merge 2 threads and the posts ended up elsewhere. I think I got all the posts back and they should be in order.

"Dodge D150 318 5.2"
@Dodge D

View attachment 1716004767

I believe things got off on the wrong track for you to get your 318 build questions answered.

It is a carbureted, roller lifter, 9.2:1 compression engine with flat top pistons (that sit .040 ths down in the hole).

This engine came factory with the Closed Chambered 302 Heads like the ones pictured here:
View attachment 1716004768

View attachment 1716004769
With the good 9.2:1 compression pistions already in the block.

Select the camshaft of your choice (not too big), install a 4 bbl intake manifold, and something like an Edelbrock 1406 4 barrel carburetor, these are jetted right to work well with the 318s.

This will give the engine the fuel it needs to wake it up. The 2bbl carb you have on it now is an economy carb and your engine simply needs a little more fuel to get it to perform nicely.

View attachment 1716004771

Same build pictured below here running the 4 bbl on the engine run stand. Later went into my 1976 D100 and performed very nicely.

View attachment 1716004773

'76 D100 318 4 bbl.
View attachment 1716004774

☆☆☆☆☆
Thank you very much! G ood information you have shared I hope to have it look as nice as that one very clean and hope to have it running well . I will have to have a local shop do the work what kind of shop will do me best for the cleaning of my engine a machine shop or just a mechanic shop ?

Thank you very much! G ood information you have shared I hope to have it look as nice as that one very clean and hope to have it running well . I will have to have a local shop do the work what kind of shop will do me best for the cleaning of my engine a machine shop or just a mechanic shop ?

You are off to a good start. Your machine shop people will guild you along.

I was able to reuse my 318 pistons, rings, and the original bore. I did a fresh valve job on the 302 closed chambered heads. I checked the rods and mains and they were spot on, i installed a new stock M-72 oil pump and the degreased the block and painted it black.

Degreasing your block, heads and painting them is something you can do. Got to get your hands dirty, this is what this hobby is all about.

20200608_195334.jpg

You can use the stock roller cam and roller lifters with the 4bbl. carb setup too. That is what I did, was a good match for the engine, ran nice, idled nice and just kept on pulling.

Giving it the fuel it needed was the trick.

Enjoy

Hint: performance roller cams are not that plentiful to come by, especially right now with all the supply issues.

Thank you that is what I'll be doing my my engine is pretty dirty idk if you saw the pics not terrible but not the best best definitely not clean as that one above

"Dodge D150 318 5.2"
@Dodge D

View attachment 1716004767

View attachment 1716004768

View attachment 1716004769
With the good 9.2:1 compression pistons already in the block.

View attachment 1716004771

View attachment 1716004773

'76 D100 318 4 bbl.
View attachment 1716004774

☆☆☆☆☆
Beautiful Tin Front end ! Miss my old Beast!.. thanks for spelling this out to one of our newer Young Guns, Brother Jets!

First step, assess the current engine.
Compression test
Leakdown test
Interpret spark plugs.
Etc.

If it is weak, you're wasting time adding parts.
Drive it till you have enough parts to rebuild it.

My transmission recently went out in my D 150 looking to get it fixed witch would be better rebuilding what I have or just getting another not looking for best price looking for what going to last longer THX

I would simply build a mild stock stroke 318 with simple bolt ons such as 4 barrel carb and intake, headers and camshaft. The 318 is one hell of a truck engine. You will not be disappointed and you also won't be foolishly spending your money on a more race bred engine and you'll actually have a much better chance of finishing it to honor your grandfather.

Yes i would like to replace a much as i can Lifter , Valves , Rocker Arms , Cam , anything that can be done and put back together pretty seamlessly with out machining or rotating the engine.
I'm out.

My transmission recently went out in my D 150 looking to get it fixed witch would be better rebuilding what I have or just getting another not looking for best price looking for what going to last longer THX
If you're capable of pulling the transmission yourself, call around to your local shops and see if you can find somebody that'll do it what's called an "on the bench" rebuild. I took my 747 down now mind you this was probably 12-14 years ago, $300

I appreciate your enthusiasm but you need to take a deep breath and come up with realistic goals and a concrete plan.
Heres a DIY thread on transmission rebuilding.
Easiest 727/904 rebuild thread...
That will Definitely help educate the OP, but do you honestly think he can handle that? If he has the time, the patience and a place to do it, it would be a great opportunity for him to learn the hobby! But depending on certain situations you may be better off for him to just pull it and take it somewhere ( if they're still reasonable), the guy that did mine was a Chevy racer he was running a transmission shop still is I sent a friend of mine there to have the transmission done in his little tiny Buick it was 1200 bucks he charged him when he seen me and Doug get out of the car with a torque converter and a transmission in the back, he said give me $300, but to-get a warranty to converter needs to be new. That's when I took to used B&M hole shot that come off the back of a 360 that was in a guy's Cuda, that the heads on my 340 are now on, guy charged me 200 bucks to cut it open and look at it he felt bad he had to replace one thrust washer only because it was slightly worn if it was his shop he said he wouldn't charge me a damn thing.. I still ain't ran that converter yet but I'm thinking about throwing it in the car problem is I want one of them 3500 tights to me it's a lot of work but then again then converters don't even seem like they're available and they're right up the road in Jacksonville! Like Brother Rob says "there's no better part than the one you already have...."

I got have my grandfather's truck old I'm looking to do some work too it what is needed for like a stoker build. I would love to have some links to make the engine nice and strong I'm new to the v8 life I have already saved the 318 whiplash cam huges engines. But what is need to do it mostly trying to get the right parts to have someone do the actual build for me but need things that work with what I have 1987 Dodge D150 pickup 5.2l 318cid links to good pistons cranks or info on what I have to change would be great start for me getting stuff together to have it done thx I fixed alternator and I have originally cast exhuast manifolds onw but what else can I do everything else is stock or atleast I think

View attachment 1716003473

View attachment 1716003474

87 was avery good year...totaled one with 11,990 miles on it in calif...

I have has 0 luck of finding a 318 transmission in my area KY for my truck so plan ig in long run will be to buy a new one.... Advice????? Does anyone know how it would work too fitment to put a Ford 1976 360 motor in my 1987 Dodge D150 pickup 5.2l 318cid my Dad has one bored camed still wrapper on a pallet plz lmk ??

I have an 87 Ramcharger with a 318. It is a factory roller cam engine with the 302 head castings. I rebuilt it stock except for having a good valve job, factory cast iron 4bbl intake, MSD ignition and dual exhaust. Truck runs like a champ. I would do it again, except for a Performer intake just for the ease of carb swaps without using an adapter plate.
Going from a worn out 2bbl, 318 to a fresh 4bbl 318 was night/day difference in power and driveability. Almost like a 360 was put in its place.

I have has 0 luck of finding a 318 transmission in my area KY for my truck so plan ig in long run will be to buy a new one.... Advice????? Does anyone know how it would work too fitment to put a Ford 1976 360 motor in my 1987 Dodge D150 pickup 5.2l 318cid my Dad has one bored camed still wrapper on a pallet plz lmk ??
(Beating my head against the wall) a "318 transmission" has to be one of the easiest to find, whether you have a 727, a 904..... Lockup or not, even. I know where there are a few 727s right now that will bolt in. Main difference in which one/which one will bolt in easier is the driveshaft is a different length between them. Otherwise one will bolt in in place of the other

I can tell you have zero clue as to what you need/want. Now you wanted to put a ford engine in a dodge? I'm sure it could be done but the amount of custom fabrication to mount it in there and too, a driveshaft with "bastard" u joints, etc definitely wouldn't be easy.
Put the crack pipe down, find a "car guy" nearby and see if you can "hang out" and watch/learn. Even if said car guy is a Ford guy or Chevy guy Alot of the mechanical fundamentals will still apply see if you can take a few basic auto classes at the local community college. Then rethink what you're saying here

Last edited:
-
Back