2-bolt main cap options

-

70wayfarer

Reaction score
got a 410 stroker and am wanting to upgrade the main caps.
what is available in 2-bolt after market caps.
already have studs.
cheers

Pro-Gram use to make them, but no longer have them on their website. I have been unable to find anyone else who offers them. I am also looking.

I sure hope your motor isn't already built.

Making 2 bolt into 4 is not a good idea, I have READ. HUGHES does sell a girdle and so does MRL. I believe that and ARP studs should work well enough. Plenty of strokers making 500-600hp at crank with bolts, studs, no girdle and two bolt mains

Pro-Gram use to make them, but no longer have them on their website. I have been unable to find anyone else who offers them. I am also looking.

been having problems trying to find 2-bolt. don't want to go the 4-bolt way. and not that keen on a girdle.
motor has already made 640 rwhp. s475 turbo. ate a piston on the dyno when water/meth failed.
what about using 4-bolt, but using only 2 bolts.

Might be time to step up to a R1 or 340 resto block with thick 4 bolt mains and thicker all around.

i had a set of BCR 2 bolt main caps on my W5. He made a small run of them years ago so there are some floating around out there. Rod at BPE bought mine. They were not pretty, and we had to do some work on them before we used them, but our 9.8 mill ran great and the main bearings always looked ok. Personally I think you'd have better luck running the Pro-Gram or Milodon cap, but only utilize the two bolts.

16EE6FF5-EE31-4490-BF93-850EABD05FB9-476-0000004B4678CBC7_zps51dec8d3.jpg

7-13-2007W5Engine-16.jpg

i had a set of BCR 2 bolt main caps on my W5. He made a small run of them years ago so there are some floating around out there. Rod at BPE bought mine. They were not pretty, and we had to do some work on them before we used them, but our 9.8 mill ran great and the main bearings always looked ok. Personally I think you'd have better luck running the Pro-Gram or Milodon cap, but only utilize the two bolts.

16EE6FF5-EE31-4490-BF93-850EABD05FB9-476-0000004B4678CBC7_zps51dec8d3.jpg

7-13-2007W5Engine-16.jpg

i was talking to my machinist the other day about the availability of 2-bolt caps and he said he could see no reason to use 4-bolt caps and only utilize 2 bolts. may be the way to go.

thanks for the replies guys. the rebuild continues.

I've bought 4 bolt mains for a 308 Holden stroker and only used 2 bolts.( Machined the rest off) Worked fine on an N2o motor.

Sorry! didn't see the all important "360" part. Mine were 340 main. You're pretty much looking for a unicorn at this point.

THAT'S WHO I WAS TRYING TO REMEMBER L4staero!!! I think Jerry bought out the rights to the BCR maincaps for the big blocks. I had heard at one time that they were going to do small block caps, but I went R3 so quit persuing it.

I am looking for these as well, and figured it would be and easier task, but obviously not! :banghead: I checked their site and didn't see them listed. May I ask how much are they wanting for them?

So can I ask... what's wrong with the stock caps? I mean I don't see why they would explode.

I don't see the caps "Exploding" but I can see issues. When you step up to caps like these and studs, everything is just simply finer later and not chew, gauged, warped, extra worn, scraped, etc....

I'm glad this came up since my 340 block just started to get handled by the machinist. I'm looking at a Rod Bloomer 4.25 crank and to top it with W5's, solid roller cam etc....

Ah, I see. I guess this thread is waaay out of my league. I'm not into 600hp small blocks yet. Lol

So can I ask... what's wrong with the stock caps? I mean I don't see why they would explode.

The stock caps flex. Studs help eliminat a lot of this, but eventually at high horsepower levels the caps just need to be stronger. So you use billet steel (or aluminum) caps. Haven't needed them in some years but the sets I did use were ProGram. If this SD Concepts or whomever makes them to that spec I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

i have a couple of sets of the mopar 4 bolt ductile caps.
Though i wouldn't use the outer bolts how do they compare to stock caps

-
Back