2 different size torsion bars? what is preload?

-

tarvin890

tarvin890
Reaction score
Might be a silly question, but would there be ill effects of running 2 different size torsion bars? and 2nd is can someone explain pre loading? im getting nervous now that mine are in.... i saw it can only go it one way and with the adjuster and paw ALL the way down...slide it in then put back together right? i noticed when trying to get it in only one postion was close to match and fall in then add the pressure...did i miss something? what is this 30 degree etc?

I'm not even going to answer the first question.

Sounds like you did it right to me, as I just did mine and yours sounded the same.
There really is only one way they can go in and hold the car up.

The 30 degree thing is the offset from one hex on the end to the other.
If you notice, the bars will not lay on a flat surface without one of the hexes sitting up on one of the ridges. (should be about 30 degrees different than the hex on the other end) which is the factory offset.

That help?

Although not right, I noticed that one of mine is in backwards. It was done 6-7 years ago and although I get a creak and pop from time to time, they adjusted level and the car bounces straight and drives straight. I need to measure them and get a pair of replacements sometime.

Although not right, I noticed that one of mine is in backwards. It was done 6-7 years ago and although I get a creak and pop from time to time, they adjusted level and the car bounces straight and drives straight. I need to measure them and get a pair of replacements sometime.

There is no "backwards". They can be swapped end for end. The only reason to worry about which end is which is if you want to be able to read the part number after it's installed.

Have you put a caliper on the bars? What are the sizes?Is the big one on the drivers side?

I ask because Ive always been curious how my car would handle with a bigger bar on my side to keep my extra 200 lbs off the tarmac.I always drive alone. Nobody wants to ride with me in that S.

I'm not even going to answer the first question.

Sounds like you did it right to me, as I just did mine and yours sounded the same.
There really is only one way they can go in and hold the car up.

The 30 degree thing is the offset from one hex on the end to the other.
If you notice, the bars will not lay on a flat surface without one of the hexes sitting up on one of the ridges. (should be about 30 degrees different than the hex on the other end) which is the factory offset.

That help?

ahhh I see... thats why when i kept clocking the front into the hole it was waaay off and each turn and attempt to put it it got closer to match until one position was the one...and no i didnt not understand that the 2 ends were "offset" ....now i know... after having one break with the car just sitting in the garage i need to know all about them i can. 1st question... just wondered if someone at sometime found a reason to use two different rated.... ie. drag racing road racing.... just prodding knowledge, people came up with weird finds over the many years of cars... whoda thunk of putting:glasses7: 2 or 4 v8s in a dragster....? they did it....lol

Have you put a caliper on the bars? What are the sizes?Is the big one on the drivers side?

I ask because Ive always been curious how my car would handle with a bigger bar on my side to keep my extra 200 lbs off the tarmac.I always drive alone. Nobody wants to ride with me in that S.

what i was thinking in asking that question.... maybe some drag cars fiddled with diff sizes on these things or road racers... or other ideas.... can learn some good things from odd questions sometimes.... sometimes at the risk of sounding stupid..... but i bet its been tried... and there may be some valuable input....:farao:

also if you are overwieght maybe a bigger bar would level it for you.....:glasses7::eek:ops:

Juz' put the bigger one on the side opposite you "turn the most" LOL. NASCAR turns left, you'd want it on the pass. side

-
Back