2011+ 5.7 hemi mystery sensor boss?

-

Johnny Mac

www.blueprintengines.com
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
Morning guys,

Is anyone familiar with this presumed sensor hole? I have every listed sensor installed on this engine...and this boss remains. It appears that it's just a dead hole, but odd that it has what looks like a threaded hole to hold in a sensor similar to the cam or crank position sensor.

this is located on the DRIVER side of the block, toward the rear. you are looking that the rear of the block to the right of the pic, where the trans bolts.

also do the VVt engines not run an oil TEMP sensor? i only see it listed for the 09 and older cars. the port is already plugged so no huge deal, just found it odd it isn't listed on the newer vehicles.

Attachments

• 20151027_084323.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 185
I know the hole you're talking about. I was equally confused on my 06 Hemi when I saw that. It looks a lot like it had something to do with water jackets, which made me nervous leaving it open, but I couldn't find anything that told me it needed to be closed. I think a block heater probably sounds right though. Big enough hole to get a heating element in there.

As far as an oil temp sensor, that would be easy enough to add if you wanted one. On my 06 the temp sensor was installed where remote oil filter lines go, so I had to remove it. I'm not running a factory computer though, so I didn't need it. Have thought about adding it back in one of these days, but don't have enough channels to read it right now on my aftermarket computer setup.

Thank you both.

you are 100% correct. engine block heater. confirmed

FYi the oil TEMP sensor...(if my ECM even requires it)...is the same PN as the water temp sensor. for everyone's future reference.

-
Back