2014 hemi 5.7 replacing a 318 in a 1977 power wagon 4X4 ?

-

krw340

Reaction score
What modifications would have to be done to make this work ? The motor comes with exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, computer, and harness. Motor is from a 2014 truck being bolted to a 727 trans. If possible ?

Bolting the trans to the engine is easy. You need to get the proper flexplate. You can use the wiring harness but I haven't seen a wiring schematic yet from anyone.

I know you can buy a wiring harness or take the time to use the stick one and remove what's not needed.

Riddler

A motor that new may not play nice with a different transmission. The main question would be what was that motor in front of to begin with and what all did the computer run stock? If it's an integrated ECM/TCM combo you may be out of luck on that front. The new engines have lots of bells and whistles that haven't quite been sorted out by the aftermarket crew yet. Stuff like VVT and variable length runners haven't quite found a place in retro swaps to date, though with enough time and effort I'm sure they can be done.

I believe you need a Modern Muscle swap kit with a 2009 ECU. Don't know of any other way to run that engine properly.

All I know is it came out of a 2014 Ram 1500 4X4 with 75 miles. It was pulled because the truck had roof damage during delivery. It has the vvt (not sure what that is) I'm guessing variable valve timing ? And I'm not sure what trans was in it. Can you tell what trans was in the truck by having the vin number ? I do have that information. I may have gotten in to deep with this modern technology ! I've read about getting the right flex plate to bolt up to the trans. but not familiar with the wiring. I was hoping some one had figured this out and was willing to share. Any advice is appreciated.

Probably, the best place to start would be by calling http://www.hotwireauto.com/ and talking to Chris Squire. He can tell you if they can build a harness to make that 5.7 work in your truck. You may have to swap lifters or something, and disable the VVT stuff. Another place called Hotrod Lane installed a 5.7 in a Ramcharger, and may have motor mounts available to drop your Hemi in the truck. That's about the extent of my bright ideas....lol. Good luck. :prayer:

Probably, the best place to start would be by calling http://www.hotwireauto.com/ and talking to Chris Squire. He can tell you if they can build a harness to make that 5.7 work in your truck. You may have to swap lifters or something, and disable the VVT stuff. Another place called Hotrod Lane installed a 5.7 in a Ramcharger, and may have motor mounts available to drop your Hemi in the truck. That's about the extent of my bright ideas....lol. Good luck. :prayer:

Hey it's a start ! Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Thank you

I think the hardest part of this swap will be exhaust manifolds, engine mounts and oil pan. Hotwire can provide the support you need for electronics and as other's have pointed out using a 727 shouldn't be problem with the right flex plate or spacer.

The factory 5.7L Hemi truck oil pain is a rear rear sump pan, while the factory car pan is a front sump pan, most of the swap oil pans are mid sump pans designed for 67-73 A, B, and E Mopars. You'll need to find the one of the most closely matches your existing 318 oil pan. Hopefully one is close enough to clear steering and the cross member.

Exhaust manifolds, the factory 5.7L Hemi truck manifolds point nearly straight back and typically won't work in A-Bodies. Many swaps have been successful with factory Jeep manifolds. If your stock manifolds dump straight down, you might find that Street and Performance in Mena Arkansas has a set of shorty headers that dumps straight down. They also have a set of block hugging headers that are closer to the car style exhaust manifolds.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/

Motor mounts. You're 77 318 uses a bisquit type mount that is similar to the 68-72 biscuit mounts used on A, B, and E bodies. TTI makes mounts that work with the biscuit type mounts and will attach to 68-72 V-8 A B and E bodies whether these will work with a truck K member is unclear. Several members on this forum have made their own mounts with a little effort.

Hope this gets you headed in the right direction.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

IF your getting all the electrics and wiring, I would would use the new automatic transmission and transfer case. If it was a 4x4.
There are other things to grab as well:
- fuel tank/ pump.
- exhaust system.
- rad.
- steering column.
- fuse box.
Doing a swap like this you should really try and find a whole donor truck. You'll be missing so many odds and ends it will nickel dime you to death!

Physically bolting it in is fairly easy. The oil pan on your motor will fit your chassis. You can make your own mounts if you are handy, or go to Street and Performance ( http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ ) for a nice set of mounts that will need spacers to raise the motor about 1.5" - 2". They use the 77 insulators your truck came with. If you want to leave the 727 mount stock, I do not know if the S&P mounts will still line up ( I am using a non stock transmission). (I did an early test fit with the hemi bolted to a 727 which was in the factory mount. I kinda recall the engine being really close to the firewall, but did not have thier mounts at the time.) Exhaust manifolds- easy way is Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 manifolds. Have also heard the S&P block huggers fit well, but have no experience with those. I used the Jeep SRT8 factory headers. They needed some frame clearancing in spots, but nothing more than rolling the edge up just like the factory did forward of the suspension. Ram manifolds, like mentioned, are problematic. That being said- I have seen a truck that used them. As well as one that used one Jeep manifold and one Ram manifold. The extreme 90* the exhaust has to make at the firewall is not ideal but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to make it work. Please keep in mind these are all 2WD truck firsthand observations.

Electronics for your VVT motor are another story. I inquired about doing the same thing and using the factory ECU and was told by Modern Muscle it is not possible. This is a qoute from them...

" The engine year is not the problem to tune it is the ECU.

If you are looking to do a New Gen swap DO NOT GET THE ECU THAT CAME WITH THE CAR IT WILL NOT WORK! We do offer a Mopar ECU that does and can be custom flashed and tuned for whatever you need it to do so please give us a call we will get you in the right direction."

Another option is Megasquirt. They now have VVT capability, but the active runner ( if you have it ) is still not worked out, and they require a cable operated throttle body among a few other things. The Hotwireauto option- to me- never really has been an option because you have to disassemble the motor to put in all the GM required control parts. Not something I would want to do with a 75 mile engine.

[ame]http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/93%2057%20HEMI%20Ram%20Charger.pdf[/ame]

I just want to say thanks to everyone for all the good information. I didn't expect very many responses but apparently a lot of you have been interested in the generation 3 Hemi swap. I might eventually do this swap and will keep all the great information you all have given me, but I have some more questions.

I just run across a 2003 Hemi Ram 1500 that needs a motor. The engine currently in it still runs but has oil pump issues. If a new oil pump wont fix it, would it be worth installing the 2014 engine ? Seems like it would be almost a direct fit. Then I could rebuild the hemi in the 2003 ram and use that in the 1977 power wagon. Any thoughts ?

You would spend the same money swapping the 03 as you would 14. CALL DAVE WEBER AT MODERN MUSCLE.

You would spend the same money swapping the 03 as you would 14. CALL DAVE WEBER AT MODERN MUSCLE.

:eek:ops: Let me clarify. My thought was to put the 2014 engine in the 03 ram. My question is will this be a direct fit or close to it ? I'm pretty sure it would be the same cost using the 03 or the 14 hemi in the 1977 power wagon. Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for the input. Too many projects and not enough time !

There's a big difference between the '03 5.7 and the '14 5.7 . The '03 is a no MDS and no VVT engine. Would be an easier, more basic swap into your Abody. The '14 would be an absolute bolt-in swap to the newer Ram, but wiring harness would be totally different and computers are totally different. So it would be a trade off. Easier swap into the car; lots of issues to work out in the Ram.

Personally, you don't need all the extra features of the '14 Hemi in your A-body. But since you already have the engine, it would certainly be nice. Ignore the temptation to buy the Ram and just keep working on the A-body. Once it's done, you will thoroughly enjoy it and THEN, if you're wanting another project, there will be plenty to come your way. If you try to tackle BOTH of those projects now, it's going to take you more time and you won't be able to enjoy EITHER of them for a longer period of time and working on TWO projects at the same time is really draining on the wallet.

-
Back