2014 RAM Diesel 1500

-
I have owned 4 Dodge diesels, a 98, 02,05 and a 12. the 05 would make 22 mpg at 75 on the Interstate. The 12 would do a best of 16. The others were in the 18-20 range.

I traded the 12 in on 14 Hemi. You are right on the resale value of the diesel, I traded for a buck!

I wanted the new 1500 diesel, but it was not available yet when I traded. I have driven the new 1500, and was impressed! I think 24 mpg would be realistic. And probably 15 mpg towing.

It is rated torque wise the same as the Hemi. My Hemi has no problem towing my open trailer or my boat.

I drive about 40,000 a year. The plan is trade for a 1500 diesel after the 1st of year.

Curt Rees
It's good to hear that it may work out! The new Dodge 1500 is truck of the year for a reason!

Folks,

If I understand what the folks who own diesel trucks, there is very little gas millage change from loaded to empty...

According to Motor Trend, the real world millage for this truck is 26 mp (us) g. Does this means that if I was hauling a 7K pound tag along trailer, I would achieve over
20 mp (us) g ?

Thanks
Ian

my diesel power mag did a tow test of the truck you are asking about and got 28 mpg unloaded and 19 towing 7600 pounds.

I am going to add another comment or two about what has happened to the used prices of the Dodge diesels. I traded my 02 diesel in on my 05 diesel in 2008 after the stock market crash. I got $8000 for it on trade with 190,000 miles on it.

I actually traded in my 05 in 2011 for a 11 Hemi. I received $18,500 trade value for the 05. The Hemi price was $28,550. In 2012, I traded the Hemi, 33,000 miles, for a 12 diesel and received $28,500 trade value for the Hemi. Go figure!

Now, if you can find one, a 05 or 06 Dodge diesel with reasonable mileage will sell for $22,000 to $28,000. The reason, fuel mileage! And that is the reason I traded my 12 diesel for a 14 Hemi, poor fuel mileage as compared to the older diesels.

If I were going to go back to 2011, I would have put some money into my 05 and would still be driving it! But, that is history.

Curt Rees

pa,

That is kinda sad, isn't it...isn't the mileage supposed to get better and better ?

Well then if it was me I would buy an older Cummins powered one. What the heck is a VM motori diesel? Lol. I have a duramax and it has proven to be great. 200,000 and all I have done is change the battery's, serpentine belt, and fluids. So maybe the motori engine is good to. Its just knowing what I know now it would be hard to buy anything except an inline diesel engine. And Cummins on top of that. V configured diesel engines had been used in big rigs. But I don't see any. From what I have heard they last about half as long before needing a rebuild. In lines routinely last a million plus miles. Maybe that doesn't matter much if it never gets near those miles in its lifetime.

VM Motori is a European company that has been making diesel engines for years. They are 50% owned by Fiat and 50% owned by GM last I checked. I will tell you, those ECO diesel 1500 Rams and Cherokees get serious fuel mileage, some people have reported over 30 mpg when hypermilling. That's insane for a full sized modern truck.

I've had a few CTD's ,a 95 2500 4x4 I drove for 335k miles sold it in 04 on Ebay for 9700.00 within 3 hrs. A 03 4x4 3500 DRW, didn't like the dual rear traded it for an 04 4x4 2500, then traded it in on a new 07 2500 4x4 CTD quad cab which I still own, it has 182K miles on it. Never had a auto trans go bad in any of them and have towed something or other all these years. the 95 got 19-20 mpg empty 14 mpg towing 12k. The 03 was the worst 18mpg and 11-13 towing. My 07 gets 18-19 empty and 14 towing 11K. What is weird is the fuel mileage goes to crap with anything on the hitch. If I tow my Polaris ranger on a 6x10 it gets 14-15 mpg? I always say you can tie a shop rag to the trailer ball and the mileage will drop to 14! And it ain't cause I drive hard, my buddies say I'm a PIA to get behind cause i drive so slow. But I wouldn't own any other truck? Now if you want to talk crap? I make a living on fixing 03-2010 6.0 and 6.4 power jokes.

Buddy of mine was just in my shop. He has a 06 3500 4dr, 4wd long box. He just went out to Gillette, WY and back, drove hwy speeds and averaged 23 mpg. Give me my 05 back! lol

Serious, if I am still in the work force after the 1st of the year, I will have one of the 1500 diesels. There 2 here in town now.

The Italian diesel manufacturer that provides the engine for the 1500 has been building them for over 60 years. A good product.

Curt Rees

Thanks.

My mechanic still says a gas engine would be best even though I would be pulling a trailer for at least 15K kms a year.

i haven't seen a 1500 diesel in person yet...I was assuming that it was the standard 1500 with just a different motor.

I am leaning heavily toward a 2500. The cost is what is messing with my head.

Thanks. Good advice.

Ian.

Hey Ian come to Moncton to get one and get an even better deal. Just look up Moncton Chrysler Dodge Jeep. I'm pretty sure they are presently having a sale on trucks.

"DEF" is Diesel Exhaust Fluid. It's a liquid Urea mixture that's injected in the exhaust system to help reduce NOx emissions.

I know very little about RAM trucks except that anytime I go to a big Mopar show like the Nats or one of the Mo-Power events, the racer pits are jammed with Cummins powered Dodge (RAM) trucks. It 's like a bonus truck show at a car event.

Anyway, the following is pasted from Alllpar regarding the availablility of engines in the 2500/3500 trucks. NOTE the 3 versions of Cummins offered. 850 lb-ft? YOWZA! European diesels are offered in Grand Cherokees so that may be where the confusion is.

A couple weeks ago I was at a Mopar event (Junction Auto) and there was a brand new Diesel RAM running with the hood up. Quietest Diesel I ever heard, very impressive.

The 6.4 liter HEMI truck block is what is used in the new Challenger Hellcat engine because it is the strongest gas block in the Mopar lineup.

Per Allpar:

The 6.7 liter Cummins diesel continues, with three versions.
Horsepower @ rpm, Lb-ft @ rpm, Required Transmission
5.7 Hemi (Gasoline) 383 @ 5,600, 400@3,950, 66RFE six-speed automatic
6.4 Hemi (Gasoline) 410 @ 5,600, 429@4,000, 66RFE optional ASC69RC
Cummins Diesel 385 @ 2,800, 850 @ 1,600, Aisin ASC69RC (Ram 3500)
Cummins Diesel 350 @ 2,800, 660, @ 1,500 Six-speed manual
Cummins Diesel 370 @ 2,800, 800, @ 1,600 68RFE six-speed automatic

I had a car moved from California by a guy with a seven car hauler, pulled by a Ram 4500. Same engine as my 12', but with the Aisin Transmission. The vehicle on top was a ram 3500! he said it got 7.5 mpg all day long, coast to coast. I would estimate 30,000 lbs plus the weight of the trailer, about 5,000 lbs?
Under forty thousand total, but got that mileage!

my 12' got 12-14 mpg city, Until it hit 14,000 miles. It is a 3500 Long bed 4wd auto.
Now it sits at 15-16, and Improving as the miles pile up. I keep it in perspective with my 96' Club cab LWB 4wd with the 180 horse engine. Towing outside overdrive it would lumber along at 65 mph or so, but got 16 towing 7-8,000 lbs. Empty, cruising city or highway, it got 16 MPG. So the 12' is over twice the horsepower, same mileage. I did get 18-20 with my 03' and 05', but they were Manual transmissions. However, If for any reason my wife had to drive, An Automatic it had to be. I bought one of the last 12's in order to not buy the Piss required of new Diesels.

VM Motori is a European company that has been making diesel engines for years. They are 50% owned by Fiat and 50% owned by GM last I checked. I will tell you, those ECO diesel 1500 Rams and Cherokees get serious fuel mileage, some people have reported over 30 mpg when hypermilling. That's insane for a full sized modern truck.

Yeah it is! That's interesting. My duramax gets from 20 to 23 on the freeway. Combined 16 to 17 empty. I have heard the dodge Cummins gets around 26 freeway. But that's here say. The Cherokee is a lot smaller I think. Or atleast my sisters is its an 06 i think. I can barely fit in it. I hate it being six three. If the dodge full size gets 30 with the new engine that's quite an achievement IMO.

I figure the V6 3L will be fine if not towing heavy stuff or large stuff like and enclosed trailer. I would not want to have something that small for heavy high speed towing though; I expect it will not last nearly as well. I bet the 1500 trannie wil be lighter too.

For the OP, if he is looking at used Ram 2500 or 3500 CTD, I would go for the '07-04 5.9L. The 6.7L came out in late '07 and the mileage dropped due to the lower compression for NoX. (Thanks a lot, EPA!!)

Dodge frame are the ligthest of the big 3 so be ready to rebuidl stuff more frequently. But I have had C20 6.2L NA diesel and have a 7.3L Ford F350, but like the Dodge with the CTD best of all. Just a better driving truck both for power and handling, even with the 4WD. All 3 towed will and were/are crew cabs; the longer wheel base sure amkes towing stable.

And for the guy with the Chevy that takes a 40 acre plot for turning....my '84 Chevy was the same way....must be a Chevy 'feature' !

I figure the V6 3L will be fine if not towing heavy stuff or large stuff like and enclosed trailer. I would not want to have something that small for heavy high speed towing though; I expect it will not last nearly as well. I bet the 1500 trannie wil be lighter too.

For the OP, if he is looking at used Ram 2500 or 3500 CTD, I would go for the '07-04 5.9L. The 6.7L came out in late '07 and the mileage dropped due to the lower compression for NoX. (Thanks a lot, EPA!!)

Dodge frame are the ligthest of the big 3 so be ready to rebuidl stuff more frequently. But I have had C20 6.2L NA diesel and have a 7.3L Ford F350, but like the Dodge with the CTD best of all. Just a better driving truck both for power and handling, even with the 4WD. All 3 towed will and were/are crew cabs; the longer wheel base sure amkes towing stable.

And for the guy with the Chevy that takes a 40 acre plot for turning....my '84 Chevy was the same way....must be a Chevy 'feature' !

I agree, Half ton trucks aren't designed to carry 8,000 lbs. The old rule of thumb is at 50% of max load, safe. 75%, hold on. 100% you are an accident waiting to happen. My CTD is rated at 22,000 or so. so, Even if I push 16k lbs, I can hug the mountain road. But being an old helicopter guy,approaching max load means your life better be in danger without the extra ammo. Otherwise the crash would be pointless! HA HA:eek:ops:

When i was shopping for a new truck in April/May 07 I had a hard time locating a 5.9 CTD. At that time the 6.7 had come out and they were easy to find. I've always been of the mindset that I'll take old and proven over the new and unknown. Now years later we know the 6.7 is a great CTD too. The reason the 5.9 is so dependable is because it has been around forever! The B-model Cummins use to be in medium duty trucks back in the fifty's. Back then they were NA and were a dog of an engine, but bullet proof! Same with the new 3.6 V6, I'll wait and see how good and how able it is before I think about buying one.

X2. my 6.7 is a superb engine, and the mileage isn't any different then what I got with my 96' 5.9 Auto 2500 4WD.

I'm curious when the first person will do the 1500 diesel swap into an A body.Should be a great motor if you can turn it up like a 5.9 and 6.7.

If the engine is the same as the 2005 jeep, it is one heavy sucker. I don't see it in a car. That jeep had super heavy suspension to handle the drivetrain.

My thought is that a small diesel is WAY overdue here. We have a rather skewed perspective. Look around the world. Small diesels are everywhere but here. As long as the powertrain proves to be reliable it should be a big winner.

I'm driving a 2014 Ram with the V6. Never thought I'd want a pickup with less than a V8 but I'm quite satisfied with it in fact power wise its more fun than any V8 I've owned including a prior hemi. This is in large part due to what the 8 spd tranny does for it. No its not a heavy hauler but I'm not needing that. I'm getting 20 mpg mixed highway/city, good enough that I sold the car I was driving. I much prefer a truck.

I did the math thinking I might wait for the ecodiesel. Its basically a wash, the way they are priced. If towing/hauling a lot the edge would go to the diesel. I opted not to take the risk of bugs with a new powertrain.

Had one come in today I was the one to work on it.

Had the 3.0 eco

The dash said it had 5400 miles and was getting 18.9mpg but averaged only 41mph so mostly city. The oil change was very easy uses a top side canister filter and held 10.5qts of oil. It does use DEF and it help 9 gallon when I put it in so at 25 dollars a gallon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 165
Looks like someone needs to come up with a DEF delete kit for it. At $25 a gallon and 18.9 MPG it really is no great deal.

-
Back