22 caliber and hiking

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
On Bud's Gun Shop Forums the question came up: What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself?

My personal favorite defense gun has always been a Beretta Jetfire in 22 short. Over all the years I've been hiking I never leave without it in my pocket. Of course we all know too the first rule when hiking in the wilderness is to use the "Buddy System". For those of you who may be unfamiliar with this it means you NEVER hike alone, you bring a friend or companion, even an in-law, that way if something happens there is someone to go get help.

I remember one time hiking with my brother-in-law in northern Alberta . Out of nowhere came this huge brown bear and man was she mad. We must have been near one of her cubs.

Anyway, if I had not had my little Jetfire I'd sure not be here today. Just one shot to my brother-in-law's knee cap and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace. :D

That's one of the best pistols in my safe today!!

When dirtbiking or camping my 380 auto is a constant companion.
It fits in a ziplock sandwich bag, so it stays clean and dry and can be fire fired while still in the ziplock if need be.

gdrill, Thats cold man! But funny! I belive I'd do the same. But I keep my .40 cal S&W on me at all times.

On Bud's Gun Shop Forums the question came up: What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself?

My personal favorite defense gun has always been a Beretta Jetfire in 22 short. Over all the years I've been hiking I never leave without it in my pocket. Of course we all know too the first rule when hiking in the wilderness is to use the "Buddy System". For those of you who may be unfamiliar with this it means you NEVER hike alone, you bring a friend or companion, even an in-law, that way if something happens there is someone to go get help.

I remember one time hiking with my brother-in-law in northern Alberta . Out of nowhere came this huge brown bear and man was she mad. We must have been near one of her cubs.

Anyway, if I had not had my little Jetfire I'd sure not be here today. Just one shot to my brother-in-law's knee cap and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace. :D

That's one of the best pistols in my safe today!!

I am crying :toothy7::toothy7::thumbrig:

I'd 'ha shot you back just fer spite!! If I gotta go, I'm takin' YOU down with me!!

Yup, you don't have to be able to run faster than a bear....just faster than the guy you're with!!!

.223 Remington, or NATO 5.56X45....Used to be somewhat of a "survival" round...ie 1965-74..Or a .45 ACP. Will stop just about everything, will drop almost anything.

I like my brother-in-law.
But I'm thinking Mother-in-law and shooting higher. LOL

Kenny

a .45 ACP. Will stop just about everything, will drop almost anything.

No thanks. If I run into a brown or grizzly, and I HAVE to have only a pistol, I'll stick to at least a 44mag, thank you.

Back in the day, I've owned about 4 Superblackhawks and one Redhawk.

me too, its like the hemi of handguns.lol

Attachments

• DSC00092 (Large).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 344
No thanks. If I run into a brown or grizzly, and I HAVE to have only a pistol, I'll stick to at least a 44mag, thank you.

Back in the day, I've owned about 4 Superblackhawks and one Redhawk.

owned one...44mag, S&W model 29 with the 10 5/8 barrel. That gun would scare the bear without a shot being fired! Too expensive to shoot so I sold it, have not had a firearm since...

300px-Harry_Callahan.JPG

I bet you clean your gun more often than the keyboard.:D
Just got given a brushed stainless Colt 357 mag revolver by my Dad today.
I remeber having it in my hands over the years growing up as a kid.
30 years after that I drew down on two rotweilers with it running towards my own boys at a lake we were camping at.

Ah the memories, three generations of 357 backup.

No I didn't shoot either of the dogs, as they just wanted to play but it was a split second gamble.

me too, its like the hemi of handguns.lol

Google judge, can't remember make, but it shoots .410 or a .40, if I remember. Awesome small 5 shot revolver.

I'll Take a Desert Eagle.........

This is a funny 50 Cal Video! This guy is lucky he did not hurt himself very bad!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqOeDW5wu_E"]50 Caliber Handgun Accident TopBestMovies.com - YouTube[/ame]

For hiking why not buy one of these.
You can drop a 410 shell in one barrel, and a 45 in the other and they are light.

http://bondarms.com/

On Bud's Gun Shop Forums the question came up: What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself ? /QUOTE]

It must be just me, but I think there's something of a death wish trying to figure out the smallest caliber I'd trust to protect myself. My motto in weapons training in the service was (borrowed from Bell Telephone) "Reach out and touch someone." If any animal wanted some of my blood, I wanted to engage it as far out as I could. To that end, here's my list. My experience is with military hardware. There's probably better stuff out there now. But this stuff I know how to use.

1. M2 with Unertl scope. Yes it's a heavy ***** and I don't want to go for a max range kill in auto. The scope and single shot lets me use the effective range of the .50 to best advantage. Call the bear dead at one mile. (I've put rounds through jeep headlight at a mile. The record confirmed kill for this combination is 1.3 miles.)
  2. M16A2. Keep it clean to keep it mean. I can piss a bear off at 300 meters with this one using open sights. If I keep track of how much ammo I have, he'll probably drop around 100 meters.
  3. M1911. I'll have to let the bear get close with this one. I can probably hit the head at 30 yards. If it drops, I'll feel the breeze and the warmth of the corpse.
FWIW I have engaged a black bear with a tear gas pen. The bear ran off none too happy with the experience.

i one time managed to scare the heck out of a black bear with a flare gun while we were on a camping trip . im not sure if it was the bright red light coming at him or the pain of it hitting him in the face but either way he ran far enough away to give us time to get our butts outta there lol

-
Back