22-inch Replacement Rad. for six cyl.?

-

volunteer

Reaction score
I have the oem 19-inch core unit and it cannot handle ambient temps over 95 f. I could have the core tested and maybe replaced but am also considering upping to a 22-inch core unit. Of course the inlet and outlet pipes need to be in same location for both cores. Has anyone done this swap and if so, what are the sources? Rad would be black and not aluminum. thanks.

The 19" radiator should be fine with a good fan (I just added a Texas Twister flex fan and that keeps the temp dead stable). It's probably partly clogged. To me, it would be simpler to have it tested and cored than to solve the swap problem, but it's your choice.

i have , in the past, always upgraded any 19 " to 22" or 26" radiator. Until I tried a champion 2 core 19" in a 64 dart with a 318. That Radiator keeps the engine very cool and I never have a problem with it. The only issue i had was the install. it sits t ohigh up on the core support I had to notch the holes to get the radiator to sit lower.

you will not need the 4 core version, just get the 2 core.

I have the oem 19-inch core unit and it cannot handle ambient temps over 95 f. I could have the core tested and maybe replaced but am also considering upping to a 22-inch core unit. Of course the inlet and outlet pipes need to be in same location for both cores. Has anyone done this swap and if so, what are the sources? Rad would be black and not aluminum. thanks.

When I was going to run a slant in my 65 Dart, I decided I would rather have the V8 22 in radiator instead of the 19 incher. Since a 22 in radiator never came with a slant in an early A, i had the radiator shop add the slant’s upper and lower hose nipples to a V8 radiator after it got recored - to a 3 core BTW - for max cooling. This never transpired as I ended up going with a V8

All good info. Fans are only effective at low vehicle speeds - est. under 40 mph. It is those hot days and climbing uphill and even over 60 mph that get the gauge moving up. Yes, core may well be partially restricted, but our only rad shop very expensive - est $450. to $500. for a 19 inch re and re. New unit ordered online will be cheaper. One more question would be if the 19-inch. core available as a 'high-density' version (with more tubes fitted closer together) - as the 22's are available?
I'll do some searching as suggested. thanks.

An aluminum radiator will likely cool much better, whether 19" or 22", though I think you might only find them in 22". You will need a 1/2"D outlet at the bottom R side (recall) and slants had a canted outlet, though you can make a straight one work. I think you can find them new for <$150 on ebay or Amazon.

Contact U.S. Radiator and give them all your measurements, they can build you a 22” radiator out of copper and brass. They will put your inlet and outlet wherever you want them. They will do a three row or a four row.

If you're gonna upgrade, UPGRADE. Put a 26" wide radiator in it. It'll fit.

Contact U.S. Radiator and give them all your measurements, they can build you a 22” radiator out of copper and brass. They will put your inlet and outlet wherever you want them. They will do a three row or a four row.

Yes sir. They make some badass radiators.

I'd have to look for the reciept, but when I replaced the one in my /6 '68 Dart (19"), I replaced it with one from a '74 with air conditioning (22"). I think I also used the hoses for a '74 and the placement was slighly different. Really wanted to recore the original, but more cost effective to replace it even though I ending up loosing the look of the rounded tank on the original. Bought it at Pep Boys at the time, but AutoZone, Advance, etc at the time had the same part. In the end, I think my real cooling problem was a stuck heat riser, improperly adjusted float, and distributor weights.

watch youtube vid on pakistan truckers about radiators. Even with rudimentary tools, they pop rad tank tops off with a torch and lead. Make it look simple. Rod yours out, a recore may not be needed. if you got nothing to lose........

Well I found a third source (in Canada) - the Wrench Monkey - for the Spectra unit and, like Avatar, only $218. I even went thru ordering process but, alas, 3 days later, I get notified that this unit is discontinued. (sigh). So back to other options. Of course not a panic as this is beginning of fall and not spring - so I have six or seven months to ponder my choices. p.s. R.A. lists three aluminum Liland-Global units but all 'out of stock'. For those wondering, it is a '69 Signet with 3.7 L. and auto trans.

Last edited:
Yall just keep thinkin that. The radiator support opening doesn't make a damned hill of beans difference. It's the distance between the frame rails. Vixen has over 27" between her frame rails. I could put enough radiator in her to cool the biggest baddest Hemi I could stuff in her. This radiator fight here will BOLT RIGHT IN Vixen. Yeah, I'd have to drill some holes. OH MY GAWD, let me just lay down on the floor and GIVE UP now. Good GAWD yall. If I have to lead you by the hand, I guess I will.

1964 PLYMOUTH VALIANT AFCO Racing 83295-P-NA-N AFCO Racing Bolt-In Direct-Fit Aluminum Radiators | Summit Racing

The STOCK early A body radiator width is 19 NINETEEN inches for those who caint read numbers. This is the BOLT IN WITH NO MODS radiator I have in her now.
1963 - 66 Dodge Dart 3 Row All Aluminum Champion DR Radiator (6 Cylinder) | eBay

If I could find a crossflow with narrow tanks, I could probably get a 24 that's TWENTY FOUR inch core radiator to fit in her. Yall got even more room in your later A bodies.

Let's not be stupid, ok?

The STOCK early A body radiator width is 19 NINETEEN inches for those who caint read numbers.
Let's not be stupid, ok?

Yessir, Mr. Green, sir. :BangHead: Now only two weeks of driving left - unless it snows before then - so I have plenty of time until car back on road sometime in March. I for one will not hack up my rad support (to install anything wider than 22 inches). Totally unnecessary. Nonetheless I appreciate all the advice. Duly noted. Have a safe rest of '21.

Yessir, Mr. Green, sir. :BangHead: Now only two weeks of driving left - unless it snows before then - so I have plenty of time until car back on road sometime in March. I for one will not hack up my rad support (to install anything wider than 22 inches). Totally unnecessary. Nonetheless I appreciate all the advice. Duly noted. Have a safe rest of '21.
No need to hack a thing. It's not the radiator support that's the limitation. It's the frame rails. On my 65 Valiant, there's about 27" between the frame rails. If you weren't concerned with originality, you could put a cross flow in there whose tanks were almost against the frame rails. That would be a HEAP of radiator. Not endorsing a cross flow over a down flow, just making the observation.

Just paint the aluminum radiator the black finish of your choice. If you would like it to look very close to original, Cold Case is a sponsor here. Rounded tank corners.

20201101_121846.jpg

-
Back