225 Bending Rods

-

DTFTH45

We Are...Penn State!
Reaction score
Well it has been a while since I posted about the Dart. As per the older discussions it was taken to our mechanic. We could not get it going. Anyways. He got it running and it was inspected (Oct 2013). Now, he took it on a test drive the night before we were gonna pick it up (back in Oct) and it started running poorly. Looks like they are bending rods continuously. Is there any other thing that would cause this to happen besides not getting oil to the top of the motor? Or am I way off with that too? Like I said, it was running and driving around months ago and now this has been a problem for the last couple months (the Dart is a side project for them).... Hope to drive it back and not have it returned like it left.

View attachment DSCN8485.jpg

Are all the rods bending or is it just 1-2? Is your mechanic bending back the rods and using them or installing new rods once the old ones bend? Whats valve lash like and does your mechanic know how to properly set valve lash on a slant? From what I've known about slant6's is the rods can really only bend if the valves stick open for any amount of time, or if the lash is way out of whack, or someone is rodding the piss out of the motor.

Is it using coolant ?????....hydraulic locking a little.

I had this same problem on a 69 Dart I had. The problem was build up on the valve stem. Trying to run a mixture of old gas that was in the car and new gas. The valves would stay open, not close all the way. The piston would smack it and bend the push rod. I had to pull the head, completely disassemble it and clean everything really well. That fixed it. Oh yeah, had to clean out all the bad gas too. :eek:ops:

I had this same problem on a 69 Dart I had. The problem was build up on the valve stem. Trying to run a mixture of old gas that was in the car and new gas. The valves would stay open, not close all the way. The piston would smack it and bend the push rod. I had to pull the head, completely disassemble it and clean everything really well. That fixed it. Oh yeah, had to clean out all the bad gas too. :eek:ops:

I'm thinking this may be the issue. I'll get my Dad to find out more since I'm 2 hours away from the shop and the Intrepid is going in this Friday.

Are all the rods bending or is it just 1-2? Is your mechanic bending back the rods and using them or installing new rods once the old ones bend? Whats valve lash like and does your mechanic know how to properly set valve lash on a slant? From what I've known about slant6's is the rods can really only bend if the valves stick open for any amount of time, or if the lash is way out of whack, or someone is rodding the piss out of the motor.

Is it using coolant ?????....hydraulic locking a little.

Not sure on either account. Like I said, I'll try to get as much info as possible.

I hate to sound picky, but in traditional "slang" parlance, "rods" are those things that are supposed to hook the pistons to the crankshaft

What YOU are talking about are "pushrods"

67Dart273 is right. I should clarify that I meant "pushrods". Those things that turn into neat dowsing sticks if you have valvetrain problems.

I hate to sound picky, but in traditional "slang" parlance, "rods" are those things that are supposed to hook the pistons to the crankshaft

What YOU are talking about are "pushrods"

Yeah.....I thought he was on about con-rods.....not Pushrods.

I WISH I had a 225 that was bending rods! That would be a killer slant!

Kidding aside, I think getting your head rebuilt should cure your issues!

Mine is doing the same thing. Everyone talks of the 225 being indestructible but mine bends them too. I plan on taking the head off here soon and checking the valves to see if hey are bent. Timing seems ok.

Mine is doing the same thing. Everyone talks of the 225 being indestructible but mine bends them too. I plan on taking the head off here soon and checking the valves to see if hey are bent. Timing seems ok.

sorry its 44 years old and probably not taken care of for at least 100K miles of its life, my grey car had 330K on it and raced it before its rebuild. They sit and rust can form on the stock or knurled guides. Its easy to have the head rebuilt, shave .090 off and do some blending/porting and new springs.

I just bought the car in October and it was supposedly a recent rebuild. I put new push rods in and about 65 miles later they bend again. Is their bronze guides for the push rods or are you meaning valve guides?

are you bending exhaust pushrods, if so check for a very lean fuel system. the exhaust valves will swell up and drag in the guides , causing valve float ect.(vacuum leak)

A question about gas....could new gas be the issue at all? What works best as an additive to the new gas to make the slant happy?

are you bending exhaust pushrods, if so check for a very lean fuel system. the exhaust valves will swell up and drag in the guides , causing valve float ect.(vacuum leak)

I believe the intake valves are the ones bending...not totally sure as I havent seen it myself.

-
Back