265 hemi straight six

-
@slantsixdan - the only thing nutty in my humble opinion is your over the top insulting response.

Say thoughtless (there, y'see? I'm being diplomatic per your request!) things in public, and sooner or later someone might comment on it. Might even point and laugh! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Don't like it? Block whoever's postings y'don't wanna see (it's rilly easy). Throwing a tantrum about their posting style is pretty much guaranteed to do the opposite of what you want.

I clearly offended you

Nope. Made y'self look silly 'n' ignert, is what you did. None of this is any skin off my nose.

But to be quite frank, externally, the engine bears a strong resemblance to that family of GM 6's

That's not what you said, though. You said you're super-triple-intergalactic dead certain it's nothing more than a rebadged GM 265 inline six. Quote-unquote. But I guess your fingers must have accidentally slipped and you really meant to talk about resemblance.

Don't look now, but from a couple hunnerd feet away, your Valiant bears a strong resemblance to an American or a Falcon or a Nova, too, so I guess I'm doomed (DOOOOOOOOOOOMED!) to go to my grave thinking it's an American or a Falcon or a Nova or something, if I should ever find myself with occasion to think about your Valiant.

I was already well aware of the history you referenced.

Yep, it totally shows and stuff: you knew fully well it's a Chrysler motor, you were just, um, testing us to see if we knew! That's why you carried on about how gol-dang sure you are that it's really a rebadged GM motor! Ha, ha! Right, guys?

…guys?

…right?

(Shh-shh…listen…what's that sound? Sounds like…backpedalling!)

Hope you'll consider being more civil in any future rebuttals.

You said "Butt".

Last edited:
You said "Butt".[/QUOTE]

Dan- don’t wanna sound “snarky”, but it is nice to see you on the forum, it’s been awhile!

That infamous photo(shop?) pic of the 6 cyl hemi cross flow hemi has been beaten like a dead horse. Is it real, did it run, is it a mock-up? Truth is the Oz 265 Hemi wasnt that great for a street motor, the 245 was better but not as fast. Kinda like the Boss 302 or 351C/4V, great track motor but it would barely idle. This came from an Australian street rodder that has dealt with them for years. Something about the 265's valve train was the weak point, cant recall the facts. There was an importer guy here in Garden Grove, CA that could get you one or had a few in the garage.
Walk a 340? C'mon....sure it held the record down there..for a six
340 six: 290 HP@5000 (they stopped measuring it there, not higher where it peaked) and 345 ft/lbs at 3400
265 six:--------------------HP--------------TQ------------------
265 E37/E48 Six Pack 248 @ 4,800 305 @ 3,400 9.7:1
265 E38 Six Pack 280 @ 5,000 310 @ 3,700 10.0:1 14.8 seconds 6.3 sec
E49 Six Pack 302@5,600 320 @ 4,100 10.0:1 14.4 seconds 6.1 sec (3210 lb, 320 lb lighter than an AAR)

Also the six pack 265's were pretty much at the peak of their performance, dialed in by Chrysler/Weber of Italy, while the 340 6 still had plenty on tap for any one that had $60 for a set of headers.

Last edited:
I don't see it mentioned, but they also made a 245 CID on the same platform, which is visually identical (AFAIK), and apparently much more common.

To be fair, the "Hemi" moniker describes the combustion chamber shape and not the valve placement.

To be fair, the "Hemi" moniker describes the combustion chamber shape and not the valve placement.
Correct Mike: the Cyl. & Engine doesn't know or care which way the Ports are pointed...Certainly isn't a Wedge Chamber head or even . Open squish style heads of 273 or LA318. 265's were a development from the 245ci a year or 2 later.Also came in smaller 215ci mainly for Utes (wayfarers) but suffered a bit of vibration. Apart from the 6 PAC 340 , most 340's would be hard pressed to keep up with a 2bbl bbd 265 pre lean burn to about 80-85mph: the free breathing 265 with decent Cyl Capacity 203hp version no counting the split exh warmer Can 2bbl 'Pacer' version or Same in AUST Valiant Charger went like the proverbial off a shovel. They were assembled & Exported to NZ where they were very successful on the track & Chargers Todd Motors assembled from CKD were immediate hot sellers. I've driven both & believe me even though the pre smog 340 was a hot performer a good running pedestrian 265ci L6 would still raise a few eyebrows in comparison. Discounted the Various Triple Carb versions or even the few earlier AFB equip Pacer 245ci Hemis in both 4 door Sedan or USA style 2 door Hardtop (VG Model '71) .Just Remember how those GMC 300ci got up & went Souped..
There's more than a few 265's still surviving if wanted & respond well to tuning, like the earlier Slant.
Intake valves are near overkill size std on 245ci.To throw conjuncture out there I have read the design team took their ideas from a defunct USA truck engine. Which brand was that ? & don't be fooled by tin tappet covers on side.
Cheers all.T

Looks more like a Briggs and straton I had on my 1/64 scale alcohol fueled P38...........where can one get one?

All I know about the Aussie "hemi" car was I have a friend that imported several back in late 90's/ He said they were faster than any 340 Duster he ran (street race deal). I believe him.

I would LOVE to see a 265-6 aussie . I'm curious to know if any trannys bolt up , say 904/727/833 ? I like things that are different . Just thinking here : all aluminum 265 with a stroker to 300 cubic inches ? Cool! Anyway , I witnessed the teardown of a 3.8L Jag motor . A true Hemi with a 6ft. timing chain .

I would LOVE to see a 265-6 aussie . I'm curious to know if any trannys bolt up , say 904/727/833 ? I like things that are different . Just thinking here : all aluminum 265 with a stroker to 300 cubic inches ? Cool! Anyway , I witnessed the teardown of a 3.8L Jag motor . A true Hemi with a 6ft. timing chain .
Yep Scamp...Ran BW35 Autos like AMC's + I think 1 of the Torqueflytes - the smallest if them.Pretty sure Slant Auto Trans bolts up.No problem for most Mopar 3 & 4 speeds to Hemi 6 manual Bell housing.Cheers T.

WRONG , if the valves don't oppose it aint a hemi ! look at the rat motors , called 'SEMI HEMI`S " , now the new ex prostock mopar motor had twisted valve lay out, copied off the chevy head , so they could put bigger valves in it .
If u limit the valve size to the biggest a real hemi can run, it cant be touched by anyones stuff, the canted valve engines can run bigger valves , therefore more h.p. .

thanks kiwi
No worries Scamp. I've got Some Interesting Utube Australian Chrysler Road tests of The Hemi 6 Charger, 360ci Charger (AUST NOT USA) & THE Valiant SEDAN (1980) 245 With ELB (Elect lean burn) these model do give amazing gas mileages like 27-28mpg (Canadian gallon) - I'll post up the Video title links shortly so you can search box YouTube locate each Video - 1 often brings more up.

CHEERS T.

Last edited by a moderator:
Screenshot_2019-02-26-21-44-59.png

Correct Mike: the Cyl. & Engine doesn't know or care which way the Ports are pointed...Certainly isn't a Wedge Chamber head or even . Open squish style heads of 273 or LA318. 265's were a development from the 245ci a year or 2 later.Also came in smaller 215ci mainly for Utes (wayfarers) but suffered a bit of vibration. Apart from the 6 PAC 340 , most 340's would be hard pressed to keep up with a 2bbl bbd 265 pre lean burn to about 80-85mph: the free breathing 265 with decent Cyl Capacity 203hp version no counting the split exh warmer Can 2bbl 'Pacer' version or Same in AUST Valiant Charger went like the proverbial off a shovel. They were assembled & Exported to NZ where they were very successful on the track & Chargers Todd Motors assembled from CKD were immediate hot sellers. I've driven both & believe me even though the pre smog 340 was a hot performer a good running pedestrian 265ci L6 would still raise a few eyebrows in comparison. Discounted the Various Triple Carb versions or even the few earlier AFB equip Pacer 245ci Hemis in both 4 door Sedan or USA style 2 door Hardtop (VG Model '71) .Just Remember how those GMC 300ci got up & went Souped..
There's more than a few 265's still surviving if wanted & respond well to tuning, like the earlier Slant.
Intake valves are near overkill size std on 245ci.To throw conjuncture out there I have read the design team took their ideas from a defunct USA truck engine. Which brand was that ? & don't be fooled by tin tappet covers on side.
Cheers all.T
I really beg to differ there is no way a std 2bbl 265 would get near a 340 any day at any speed, , ..that's just delusional.the hemi 265 in std form ( not six pack )...is 203 hp , and even a good one(six pack) is lucky to pump 300hp...
they are a rattly antiquated horrible 6 cyl, they were designed and developed in the usa as a replacement for the rg series engine( slant 6)the americans couldn't fix the inherent camshaft , oil pump, harmonics and ignition probs( the first hemi6 with the centre mounted distributor) and gave the idea away,,,and went back to the slant...unfortunately we aussies were then cursed for 10 years from 1970 to 1981 ..til they finally killed the rotten things.

I really beg to differ there is no way a std 2bbl 265 would get near a 340 any day at any speed, , ..that's just delusional.the hemi 265 in std form ( not six pack )...is 203 hp , and even a good one(six pack) is lucky to pump 300hp...
they are a rattly antiquated horrible 6 cyl, they were designed and developed in the usa as a replacement for the rg series engine( slant 6)the americans couldn't fix the inherent camshaft , oil pump, harmonics and ignition probs( the first hemi6 with the centre mounted distributor) and gave the idea away,,,and went back to the slant...unfortunately we aussies were then cursed for 10 years from 1970 to 1981 ..til they finally killed the rotten things.
Well, YOU Can beg to differ but 1/with those 2 posts not wanting to sound Personal you sound like a Typical knocking non-patriotic Aussie. Again I've meet more than a few ( living there) & driven more than a few of Both. IN NZ the Leo G R/T 6 pack Charger/s Walked over Alan Moffits Factory Backed 351C Falcon GTHO on the circuit prompting Moffat to state:" Worlds fastest Chargers here" doing quicker lap times & hauling him in & passing down long back straights.
2/ Having driven & worked on more than a few of both (265 & 318/340/360) don't know what you were driving but a properly tuned split exh man 203hp Hemi would definitely show a clean pair of heel to an ave non hi perf 340ci to approx 80-85mph as previously stated & 3/ I think you've been reading too many of those scathing articles on the hemis furboils, I've seen 'em & read 'em too. Sure that had problems during development just live ANY engine, but IF they were as bad & junk as you claim, they wouldn't have marketed for so long until mitsi Boughy Chrysler AUST out, the Dealers would have been OVERLOADED with warranty claims & if they were such a dog, Why do the roadtest figures speak from themselves ?.
Back to a slab of XXXX or Brisbane bitter.
Bet you Hate the Holden 308ci V8 too.
I've got a practical Education growing up around these engines, Engineers, Repair shops, tuning & hands on experience. I don't just repeat ex some other critical Authors article knocking fashion, that unless its out of Europe its no flaming good:unfortunately an Australian Predilection.
The NSW police used the 340ci Hyway special Chargers...ask any Cop of the time in pursuit which powerplant under the bonnet (hood) he preferred. Talk can be cheap.
Cheers Cobber.

aweful motors with lots of problems, the 340 would eat a 265 hemi all day no probs there, big heavy ...waste of space and iron really..
I've been running a healthy 265 for 29 years so far with a Holley Street Avenger.
It has spent most of it's life towing trailers loaded with cars 500km in each direction and has been a good, torquey street engine. The only problem I've had was the cam timing was wrong when the engine was built. Once I fixed that it has been fabulous.
I also have a highly modified 265 running triple Weber carbs in a Charger and it scares the hell out of me.
No doubt they are slower than my SRT-8 6.1 Hemi, but most people I know rate the 265 highly as a good reliable engine.
Everyone has a right to an opinion.

Well, YOU Can beg to differ but 1/with those 2 posts not wanting to sound Personal you sound like a Typical knocking non-patriotic Aussie. Again I've meet more than a few ( living there) & driven more than a few of Both. IN NZ the Leo G R/T 6 pack Charger/s Walked over Alan Moffits Factory Backed 351C Falcon GTHO on the circuit prompting Moffat to state:" Worlds fastest Chargers here" doing quicker lap times & hauling him in & passing down long back straights.
2/ Having driven & worked on more than a few of both (265 & 318/340/360) don't know what you were driving but a properly tuned split exh man 203hp Hemi would definitely show a clean pair of heel to an ave non hi perf 340ci to approx 80-85mph as previously stated & 3/ I think you've been reading too many of those scathing articles on the hemis furboils, I've seen 'em & read 'em too. Sure that had problems during development just live ANY engine, but IF they were as bad & junk as you claim, they wouldn't have marketed for so long until mitsi Boughy Chrysler AUST out, the Dealers would have been OVERLOADED with warranty claims & if they were such a dog, Why do the roadtest figures speak from themselves ?.
Back to a slab of XXXX or Brisbane bitter.
Bet you Hate the Holden 308ci V8 too.
I've got a practical Education growing up around these engines, Engineers, Repair shops, tuning & hands on experience. I don't just repeat ex some other critical Authors article knocking fashion, that unless its out of Europe its no flaming good:unfortunately an Australian Predilection.
The NSW police used the 340ci Hyway special Chargers...ask any Cop of the time in pursuit which powerplant under the bonnet (hood) he preferred. Talk can be cheap.
Cheers Cobber.
check my fb page..mopar central...I have more than enough credentials to support my opinion...and I reply to warranty claims, mate my father was a Chrysler dealer from 1968 to 1975..im sure he would be willing to discuss hemi 6 warrantys forever,,

I've been running a healthy 265 for 29 years so far with a Holley Street Avenger.
It has spent most of it's life towing trailers loaded with cars 500km in each direction and has been a good, torquey street engine. The only problem I've had was the cam timing was wrong when the engine was built. Once I fixed that it has been fabulous.
I also have a highly modified 265 running triple Weber carbs in a Charger and it scares the hell out of me.
No doubt they are slower than my SRT-8 6.1 Hemi, but most people I know rate the 265 highly as a good reliable engine.
Everyone has a right to an opinion.
True "Everyone has a right to an opinion" BUT when you've heard the same old same old emotive Aussie knocking machine that's best left inebriated at Prawn Barbi, It grows somewhat tiresome. Especially when you've been involved with the NZ manufacturer & assembly plant of the time : New Zealand's TODD Motors (incl involving top Cam grinder Shop you may've heard of: Kelford Cams, I don't need to challenge anyones credentials, but the AU jaded eye I can't alter, but you'd be surprised what I know involved in Valiant NZ & charger assembling & trouble shooting over your Dads ( fellow above) dealership ( maybe the export models were tuned & put together better ;-) ).
I go on Fact not hearsay or opinion. Cheers. T.
The Positives: Big lifter foot area like AMC's ( oh god another awful Aust Marc), Oil pump Contents same as SB Mopar V8, Single Post rocker arms, Solid Conrods, Same bore as 318 ( same rings) Reliable Carburetion. Hi Perf parts over counter ( incl OEM 325hp little know Bathurst Cam) 2 & 4bbl Carb options on the VG '71 Pacer, Reliable early points ign distributor, Common Auto Trans & BW diff - all easily serviced, ability to hold tune for long time etc etc.
I'm not going to argue the toss what design engineers knew ( it was their livelyhood) - like did you know the NZ 265 2bbl 770 Chargers & Pacers with the Split Exh manifold, had warmer Cams slipped in them (203hp jobs, rated std for insurance) For the Dads dealership fella above.
Shocking terrible lumps of cast iron (SIC): go ask Retired Repco Eng Recond. machinist...ask his opinion.
Cheers mate.

True "Everyone has a right to an opinion" BUT when you've heard the same old same old emotive Aussie knocking machine that's best left inebriated at Prawn Barbi, It grows somewhat tiresome. Especially when you've been involved with the NZ manufacturer & assembly plant of the time : New Zealand's TODD Motors (incl involving top Cam grinder Shop you may've heard of: Kelford Cams, I don't need to challenge anyones credentials, but the AU jaded eye I can't alter, but you'd be surprised what I know involved in Valiant NZ & charger assembling & trouble shooting over your Dads ( fellow above) dealership ( maybe the export models were tuned & put together better ;-) ).
I go on Fact not hearsay or opinion. Cheers. T.
The Positives: Big lifter foot area like AMC's ( oh god another awful Aust Marc), Oil pump Contents same as SB Mopar V8, Single Post rocker arms, Solid Conrods, Same bore as 318 ( same rings) Reliable Carburetion. Hi Perf parts over counter ( incl OEM 325hp little know Bathurst Cam) 2 & 4bbl Carb options on the VG '71 Pacer, Reliable early points ign distributor, Common Auto Trans & BW diff - all easily serviced, ability to hold tune for long time etc etc.
I'm not going to argue the toss what design engineers knew ( it was their livelyhood) - like did you know the NZ 265 2bbl 770 Chargers & Pacers with the Split Exh manifold, had warmer Cams slipped in them (203hp jobs, rated std for insurance) For the Dads dealership fella above.
Shocking terrible lumps of cast iron (SIC): go ask Retired Repco Eng Recond. machinist...ask his opinion.
Cheers mate.

I want to see pics of actual running 6 cyl mopar hemi heads , never seen them , or heard of them before these conversations .
A pic of something that might fit , ain`t it !!

Pretty sure Slant Auto Trans bolts up

Nope. Some Hemi-6 blocks, not all of them, will accept an A/LA-pattern bellhousing, because the A904LA Torqueflite was used in 6-cylinder Valiant VIPs, instead of the crude BW35 used in less-ritzy Valiants. But TTBOMK there aren't any Hemi-6 blocks that will accept a Slant-6 bellhousing.

-
Back