Votes: 1 11.1%
  • go 340 with 4 speed

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters
-

F/A Tech

Reaction score
Hi All,
1973 Duster 198 slant 6, 3 on the tree. Interior perfect , paint minor blemishes.
Has dual exhausts on original manifold ... sounds awsome !
I have a 3 speed stick & a 4 speed Hurst shifter and a 4 speed Transmission

duster 3.jpeg

duster 4.jpeg

duster 5.jpeg

Welcome!

With so few miles on it, why has it already been repainted??

for me i'd go in thinking keep it original.. then i'd drive it for a bit and be bored out of my mind with how much of a pig it is and have to put a v8 in the thing..

exactly what happened with our original paint 70 dart... :)

Thanks for looking....it is the original paint

Didn't catch it in my original post but you're from Vancouver; nice to have another member from the lower mainland! Is it a car originally from BC?

It has been resprayed; look at the photo you posted of the interior. The weather strippping piece that surrounds the chrome trim for the rear quarter window has yellow over spray on it. That means it has been repainted without the weatherstripping being removed. How did that yellow paint get on the weatherstripping when original paint cars were painted prior to the weatherstripping being installed? A little harder to tell but look at the front edge of the roof rail weatherstripping at the base of the A-pillar. Hard to tell for sure on that one but it appears to be oversprayed with paint too. Although it's not shown in the photo, I suspect the bolt for the door latch in the dorm jamb also is oversprayed too. If they didn't remove the weatherstripping when painting it, it's likely they also didn't mask that bolt too since it's also painted in a lot of lower quality resprays.

If you post some more photos we can show you more clues. For example is the hood latch in the engine bay painted yellow?

Regardless, there is 100% certainty that your car does not have the original paint given the overspray evidence on the base on the quarter window weatherstripping.

Didn't catch it in my original post but you're from Vancouver; nice to have another member from the lower mainland! Is it a car originally from BC?

It has been resprayed; look at the photo you posted of the interior. The weather strippping piece that surrounds the chrome trim for the rear quarter window has yellow over spray on it. That means it has been repainted without the weatherstripping being removed. How did that yellow paint get on the weatherstripping when original paint cars were painted prior to the weatherstripping being installed? A little harder to tell but look at the front edge of the roof rail weatherstripping at the base of the A-pillar. Hard to tell for sure on that one but it appears to be oversprayed with paint too. Although it's not shown in the photo, I suspect the bolt for the door latch in the dorm jamb also is oversprayed too. If they didn't remove the weatherstripping when painting it, it's likely they also didn't mask that bolt too since it's also painted in a lot of lower quality resprays.

If you post some more photos we can show you more clues. For example is the hood latch in the engine bay painted yellow?

Regardless, there is 100% certainty that your car does not have the original paint given the overspray evidence on the base on the quarter window weatherstripping.
Hi, I will send more pictures of the paint.
Car was purchased from Johnston Motor Co. Ltd.
2290 Main Street Vancouver.
I have the original bill of sale.

Very nice. I agree with Joe. Drive it for while. If you like the /6, cool. If not................:thumbsup:

Hi, I will send more pictures of the paint.
Car was purchased from Johnston Motor Co. Ltd.
2290 Main Street Vancouver.
I have the original bill of sale.

Nice pickup for sure since it is a BC car! Having the original bill of sale is a nice touch too.

My grandmother kept her oringinal bill of sale when she bought the Scamp new from Chrysler City Auto in Nelson. When we downsized her from the house to an apartment years ago, we found it in a dealership envelope on top of a 1975 Plymouth sales brochure and the second set of original keys in one of her dresser drawers.

I'd enjoy it for a bit with the slant 6 before dropping in a V8. You'll appreciate the extra grunt of a V8 after cruising around with a slant 6 for a bit.

Hard to tell...... kind of looks limlike e what you are seeing is a dirt mark, the edge of where the rubber was before it shrunk with age.

Either way it is a fine example. I think you should definitely do a V8 conversion with either the original 3 speed or a 4 speed.

And welcome again from another BC member!

Welcome from across the straight in Victoria.I really love the survivor cars and yours looks like a real gem.

Nice car, looks great in yellow. There's a good crew here, welcome & enjoy yourself!

Welcome to FABO, a cool and rare car you have there!
However, rare doesn't always mean fun or valuable.............
I would drive it for awhile the way it is, but i think a V8 swap with a 4 speed is in your future.
A tough call to make for sure, but i would tend to leave it the way it is, but that's me..............I like the weird.
I think it would actually increase the value by quite a bit if you did a 340 and a 4 speed swap, should you decide to sell the car in the future.

-
Back