273 Commando Guys

-

Rbob

Reaction score
What is the correct valve cover bolts? Mine are chrome plated captured washer bolt and not in good shape so I am not sure if they were original.

What is correct?

Just like the stock painted ones, with a dog point, but chrome.

I would check with the aftermarket bolt suppliers and or mancini/year one etc.

You can use a set of Stainless Steel bolts/washers and not have to worry about it unless you want 100% correct bolts/washers.

I'm glad you asked. I have wondered if mine were original. They are plated, captured washer bolts too. Sounds like the same ones as you. They may be the originals. tmm

Attachments

• engine 269 bolt.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 332
Wow, That kit would give me 2 extra and nobody would know they are not dog point! Sweet!

Thanks to all!

Mancini description states zinc plated which isn't chrome.
Lets look in MrGs catalog for actual chrome replacements.

Here's the closest that Mr G's has in their catalog. It is a 1/4" x 20 x 1" bolt in zinc with a dog point and also is a paint cutter (notches on the first 3 threads)

I suspect that zinc plating has replaced chrome due to many old platings getting phased out for environmental reasons.

If it was me, I think that I would use the Mancini kit.

View attachment Valve cover bolt v2.jpg

C 6030797 $ 0.75 1/4-20x1 H/L w/1/2 W. G5, Zinc D.P.

It is on the bottom right column in middle of the page in this file:

View attachment 172-176h-wm.pdf

Mr. G's Enterprises
56l3 Elliott Reeder Road
Fort Worth, Texas 76ll7-6013
(8l7) 83l-350l
Fax # (817) 831-0638
email : [email protected]

Zinc plating is common hardware bright finish.
If MrG doesn't have them, Google shows lots of sources for 1/4-20 chrome plated.
The kep washer type may or may not be out there somewhere.

Zinc plating is common hardware bright finish.
If MrG doesn't have them, Google shows lots of sources for 1/4-20 chrome plated.
The kep washer type may or may not be out there somewhere.

Why don't you post a few links then?

I corrected my post. I'm sure mine are plated and not chromed. You guys brought up a valid point. tmm

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221210835012?lpid=82"]Mopar Hemi 426 1964 71 Valve Cover Chrome Bolts PCV 1970 Breather Grommets | eBay[/ame]
Enough for 2 sets. Sell a set to a friend in need!

Funny thing, googled P4120272 and Jegs among others says chrome bolt/washer assembly. I emailed Torque_flite Patti to see if she has them separate, I saw an older listing for 12 of the chrome bolt/washer.

Looks like I will go with these bolts from either supplier.

I was thinking of studding mine

You could. If using sheet metal valve covers, The portion of a stud that isn't threaded would need to be very short.
Hex head bolts don't disappear into the heads cross over vents.
Washers and nuts can.

I did not see a link for the sems bolt in clifcuda65 post, still interested if possible to post it.

I looked close at my original bolts and no sems mark, looks like an anchor symbol.

-
Back