273 commando progress

-
Tadams,
What did you do to the heads, any milling or porting? What head gaskets? What compression were you aimiing at?
Did you keep the intake manifold heat riser open?
What carb and choke will you use?

Yeah but mine went white and looks like crap. Hope toms dont.

View attachment 1715400687

Slant 6r's went white like this right away, looks kind of cool.

Can maybe brush on some VHT White after they turn white to keep moisture from getting to the manifold. Keep them looking good.

20181213_092231.jpg

White (or silver) manifolds look great.

20181110_193856.jpg

20180305_193243.jpg

Tadams,
What did you do to the heads, any milling or porting? What head gaskets? What compression were you aimiing at?
Did you keep the intake manifold heat riser open?
What carb and choke will you use?
I have decided to keep the 273 commando very close to stock. I am keeping the carter afb 4 barrel and the stock cam. I replaced the heads with a used set adding new valves. The gasket set was from felpro. The head gaskets were very thin metal. I did some cleaning on the exhaust but not a lot more than that.
Pistons were replaced with an original set of dome pistons and new rings and bearings throughout. As far as compression I haven't given it much thought. It was 10.5 to 1 factory but I'm not going to guess what it is now

I have decided to keep the 273 commando very close to stock. I am keeping the carter afb 4 barrel and the stock cam. I replaced the heads with a used set adding new valves. The gasket set was from felpro. The head gaskets were very thin metal. I did some cleaning on the exhaust but not a lot more than that.
Pistons were replaced with an original set of dome pistons and new rings and bearings throughout. As far as compression I haven't given it much thought. It was 10.5 to 1 factory but I'm not going to guess what it is now
Can you tell us what you meant by this Quote: The head gaskets were very thin metal" ? are saying you found some oem steel shim head gaskets? We all been searching for those steel shim head gaskets for years.

Can you tell us what you meant by this Quote: The head gaskets were very thin metal" ? are saying you found some oem steel shim head gaskets? We all been searching for those steel shim head gaskets for years.
I found a 70s felpro head gasket kit for my 273 on eBay for 20$ all metal few years ago. Strangely they were pretty local.
BB7E2E35-0025-4AD8-9B9B-E1C83D00D179.png

Last edited:
Tadams,
So did your head gaskets have the right size holes for the head bolts? What year are your heads? Do you have a part # for the gasket set that you used?
Thanks.

Tadams,
So did your head gaskets have the right size holes for the head bolts? What year are your heads? Do you have a part # for the gasket set that you used?
Thanks.
I'll try to find a part number. Everything went in place easily. The heads I purchased are stock heads. Number 301 and 302. Added new valves and seals. The gasket set I used came from summit I believe and was in a felpro box. Had everything I needed. Sorry I can't be more specific on the part numbers. Working today.

I'll try to find a part number. Everything went in place easily. The heads I purchased are stock heads. Number 301 and 302. Added new valves and seals. The gasket set I used came from summit I believe and was in a felpro box. Had everything I needed. Sorry I can't be more specific on the part numbers. Working today.
composite, big bore head gaskets .

-
Back