273 Commando Top End Rebuild on my 65 Dart GT

-

crashcaptn

1965 Dodge Dart GT
Reaction score
SO happy i'm finally taking care of this. My number 2 and 4 cylinders were reading low compression (driver side bank totally OK) and i've just been limping around. Freeway was always a drag cause it'd smoke, losing power, and generally not fun. But since it was drivable and not my daily driver I slacked. Finally took it apart.

After taking the heads off i noticed the ridge is non-existant! So i really do think this car only had about 75,000 miles on it.

Anyway. Here's some pics.. nothing too fascinating yet, but i know you guys (and gals) like pictures.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed%20(1).jpg

unnamed%20(3).jpg

unnamed%20(4).jpg

(PS i did get the other head off.. i just got sick of taking pictures)

Any tips or suggestions as i get the heads machined and such would be great. I'm excited and its been fun so far..

I'm looking for a good gasket set (there's a lot to choose from) and i need to find the orange engine paint for touch-ups for sure. I haven't searched the forum yet, so those aren't demanding questions - just things i need.

Thanks all. Glad to be back. Off i go to degrease more stuff.

Hello. Fel Pro blue head gaskets. Just get a good standard valve job, make sure to have them check the valve guides, and you should have hardened valve seats on exhaust valves. O'riely engine degreaser works good. should be about 500 dollars to complete. And O'riely has a good Hemi orange engine paint. And I have a nice black unsilenced air cleaner that I could let you have CHEAP! MT

Good plan. 273's were red. Chrysler industrial red but the color is your choice. Tmm

Plasti-kote 226 = Chrysler Hemi Orange Engine Paint

Available at Car Quest

Get a 3" wire wheel for a drill and clean up the cylinders at the top and the piston tops before you put it together. It will also help break the carbon ring at the top away.

I would recommend using this true roller double roller timing chain. It's one step above the stock 340 double roller.

http://www.manciniracing.com/edelbrock4.html

The stock 273 chains are junk and should have some stretch by now. Install a double roller for reliability and it will also pick up your fuel economy and some performance from the old chain...

That chain can go over 100 k and have less stretch than your current stock chain has now. It can go past 200 k on a daily driver....

I used Duplicolor DE1605 Ford Red, which is very close to the Industrial Red Toolman speakeths about, kind of an orange-red.
Check the heat passages on the intake manifold while off, they're probably coked up. This will help your cold morning warm ups (in San Diego, right?!). And check your right exhaust manifold exhaust choke, sometimes they freeze up. I soaked mine in a tub of cheap vinegar for a couple weeks before it finally freed up. Good luck!

Are you sure that's a real Commando? Those don't look like the domed, hi-comp pistons to me.

If there is a ridge at the top of the cylinders, that denotes a fair amount of mileage on the engine, not a low-miler.

...and, to nit-pick, the cylinders are numbered 1-3-5-7 on the drivers side and 2-4-6-8 on the passenger side. If cylinders 7 and 8 are low, then that would be the 2 rear cylinders, one on each bank.

Where in san diego are you? Im close. PM me if I can help you with anything. MT

Hello. Fel Pro blue head gaskets. Just get a good standard valve job, make sure to have them check the valve guides, and you should have hardened valve seats on exhaust valves. O'riely engine degreaser works good. should be about 500 dollars to complete. And O'riely has a good Hemi orange engine paint. And I have a nice black unsilenced air cleaner that I could let you have CHEAP! MT

Tim! thanks - i was looking at Fel Pro cause they seem to be everywhere.. so i figured i'd do that. How much for that air cleaner? I HATE the one thats on there.. its a commando 273 so i one day want the chrome one, but yah.. something more factory would be great! :)

Good plan. 273's were red. Chrysler industrial red but the color is your choice. Tmm

Check. Thanks Mike! I'll look into it. This will go back to stock look - its low milage from the original owner so i wanna make sure its pretty original looking.

Available at Car Quest

Yah?? Theres one right next to my work! I'll walk over today and check it out!

Get a 3" wire wheel for a drill and clean up the cylinders at the top and the piston tops before you put it together. It will also help break the carbon ring at the top away.

Thanks for that - i have a wire wheel but i heard that i should use a copper wire wheel.. mine is just a basic nothin fancy metal wheel. I dont want to score the pistons.

I would recommend using this true roller double roller timing chain. It's one step above the stock 340 double roller.

http://www.manciniracing.com/edelbrock4.html

The stock 273 chains are junk and should have some stretch by now. Install a double roller for reliability and it will also pick up your fuel economy and some performance from the old chain...

That chain can go over 100 k and have less stretch than your current stock chain has now. It can go past 200 k on a daily driver....

i'll take a look. I've actually been a vendor for Edelbrock for a few years selling prescription safety goggles to them.. maybe i can squeeze a discount.

I used Duplicolor DE1605 Ford Red, which is very close to the Industrial Red Toolman speakeths about, kind of an orange-red.
Check the heat passages on the intake manifold while off, they're probably coked up. This will help your cold morning warm ups (in San Diego, right?!). And check your right exhaust manifold exhaust choke, sometimes they freeze up. I soaked mine in a tub of cheap vinegar for a couple weeks before it finally freed up. Good luck!

I'm glad you said that - the exhaust manifold on the passenger side with the thermostat.. the spring is gone.. do you know where i can find one?

Are you sure that's a real Commando? Those don't look like the domed, hi-comp pistons to me.

If there is a ridge at the top of the cylinders, that denotes a fair amount of mileage on the engine, not a low-miler.

...and, to nit-pick, the cylinders are numbered 1-3-5-7 on the drivers side and 2-4-6-8 on the passenger side. If cylinders 7 and 8 are low, then that would be the 2 rear cylinders, one on each bank.

Yes - its a real commando. Bought it from the original owner's daughter. Have all the paperwork. Its pretty correct. and i wrote about the ridge wrong.. theres NO ridge.. dur. my fault. Its a low mile car because of NO ridge.. i'll go edit that now.... and so i meant to say 2 and 4 are low then. i'll correct that as well....

Where in san diego are you? Im close. PM me if I can help you with anything. MT

I'm in north park! Basically right next to the zoo! Wanna come by and take a look???

PS - as i stated before - i need to find a thermostatic spring for the exhaust manifold on the passenger side.. i can find them EVERYWHERE for a chevy, but nowhere for a dodge.

thanks

Oriellys sells Chrysler Industrial Red in a rattle can. I've bought several cams myself.

Tim! thanks - i was looking at Fel Pro cause they seem to be everywhere.. so i figured i'd do that. How much for that air cleaner? I HATE the one thats on there.. its a commando 273 so i one day want the chrome one, but yah.. something more factory would be great!
40 dollars if you come on up to get. Pretty nice. And ill throwm in a new KandN filter MT

I bought one from Mitchell Motor Parts for my 66 273. Here's a link to their site:
http://www.mmpar.com/AMS2015Web/default.aspx

KILLER - searching the site right now..!

EDIT: It was there... for $49.99! I'll keep looking or just edit a chevy one.... Thanks!!!!

Available at Car Quest

They no longer stock that brand, but have Dupli-Color DE1652 "Chrysler Hemi Orange" so i'll spray something and compare it.

Save yourself some money and don't worry about putting in hardened seats. You won't wear out the stock iron.
Mmmmmm.... we have some heads (675 castings) off of a '68 273 and a number of the exhaust valves are recessed into the heads pretty badly. It is easy to tell. I would not do the early V8 heads without seats, only a /6 with their weak springs.

The Commando 4 bbl pistons should be easy to tell; they have 2 eyebrows on them, have a dome, and come in left and right sets. The 2 bbl pistons have 4 eyebrows on them so they can be used left or right.

The VHT Engine Enamel Chrylser Red is a super good match to the original color. I matched it on an original paint /6 distributor splash shield and you could never tell the difference. It is at Oreally? and Madvance; not sure about OtterZone.

Mmmmmm.... we have some heads (675 castings) off of a '68 273 and a number of the exhaust valves are recessed into the heads pretty badly. It is easy to tell. I would not do the early V8 heads without seats, only a /6 with their weak springs.

The Commando 4 bbl pistons should be easy to tell; they have 2 eyebrows on them, have a dome, and come in left and right sets. The 2 bbl pistons have 4 eyebrows on them so they can be used left or right.

The VHT Engine Enamel Chrylser Red is a super good match to the original color. I matched it on an original paint /6 distributor splash shield and you could never tell the difference. It is at Oreally? and Madvance; not sure about OtterZone.

I will be doing hardened seats - my machine shop isnt charging much for the whole thing. Might as well do it right if you're gonna do it.

The pistons are cupped with two brows. Theres literally no doubt this is an original commando 273.

If this paint is odd/off, i'll shoot over and get that VVT stuff..

THANKS!

The pistons are cupped with two brows. Theres literally no doubt this is an original commando 273.
Cupped? Do you mean like a dish? That is not the original 4 bbl piston if it is cupped/dished. There should be a dome that sticks a bit above the block when a piston is at the top of its stroke.....?? See here:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1512770

BTW, the 3rd piston on the passenger side looks to be domed; a bit hard to see.

Cupped? Do you mean like a dish? That is not the original 4 bbl piston if it is cupped/dished. There should be a dome that sticks a bit above the block when a piston is at the top of its stroke.....?? See here:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1512770

BTW, the 3rd piston on the passenger side looks to be domed; a bit hard to see.

Guys - i promise its a commando 273! haha! Just went out and snapped a pic of #1 cyl at top dead center:

IMG_9199.JPG

When you're cleaning up, scrape off the carbon and see if there is an L2222 stamped in the dome. That is an old TRW number.

-
Back