273 commano on the dyno wooooow

-
273,I may have an answer(maybe?). My old employer,ports heads for fun know.Done Mopars,since 68.First car,a 273 Cuss.The head castings,sit completely ported for stock valves.Small ,but nice.I can tell you,he ran mid,low 13's @ 102-103 with a small solid and 4.88's.He would know ,off the top of his head.

Funny how everyone knocks the 273 and I think they have hidden potential that people haven't tapped. Sounds like you are knocking on that door! Nice work and sick video

Funny how everyone knocks the 273

I don't think too many of us really "knock" it, it's just that we don't wanna havta wind the damn thing to 8K to get any power out of it. I'm old enough that when I first started playing with cars, the "same build" in a 283 Chev is what "we" had. Hell, first couple of years I drove, 65-66 or so, I'd never HEARD of a commando 273 in our small town.

No other brand of small block sounds sooo good reving like that than A mopar!!!!! D- darts were awsome little rides!!! If only we all ne!!! new w . More of us would have baught one new or used.Wonder how much gear a motor like that would be happy with??? Reallly sweet 65 dart,Stroker. Nothing more fun than a clutch and lots of rpm's !!!

No other brand of small block sounds sooo good reving like that than A mopar!!!!! D- darts were awsome little rides!!! If only we all ne!!! new w . More of us would have baught one new or used.Wonder how much gear a motor like that would be happy with??? Reallly sweet 65 dart,Stroker. Nothing more fun than a clutch and lots of rpm's !!!

lets try to keep in mind that they were nothing like this example back in their day. the tachometer than came with them went to only 6K and you didn't want to go there often. It's special sound on the streets came from special exhaust parts.

273 engines rocks! Back in the days the 273 was a great engine. With the knowledge today it would be even greater!:glasses7:

Now does this sound like a 273 dartcharger engine to you? Well it is... all stock internals. I just added a ld4b intake , dougs headers , 2.5" xpipe , 2.5" ultraflo muffers , 2.25" tails and swinger chrome tips .. stock carter 500 carb , electronic dist pertronix kit , and cold plugs .. What a beast ! that tweeking really woke this little 273 up. unbelievable . the video is half throttle rresponses ... revving to around 6 grand.. this engine loves 7000 rpms and up Bangin the gears ..

video
stroker402

http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/stroker402/?action=view&current=3d2cdd52.mp4

Stroker, I clicked the link, but have to sign in??

Stroker, I clicked the link, but have to sign in??

for those who could not open the video .........Try it again..I made open to public.
hope that works for you.
stroker

stroker402

[ame]http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/stroker402/?action=view&current=3d2cdd52.mp4[/ame]

I installed a 8 3/4 rear end with 3.55 gears and ended up with firestone bias F-70x14 tires at 26" tall.. the 13" tires just spun like I was on Ice .... this is the correct combo for what I was searching for . and good on the hyway . at a roll in 1st gear > it will boil the tires and third gear feels to pull the hardest .. i just can't see running 4.56 gears or higher in this car ...Mine has the stock 4sp. trans with 3.09 low first gear set that comes Stock. 1964 and 65 only with trunion style . It must have been crazy back in the day !!

Don't know why some people said that 273 does have any bottom end or top end .. well , I beg to differ . this little dart has it all.
love that scream-in 273 ..

Attachments

• IMG_1863.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 560
  • dart rearend at night garage stands.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 602
I agree, the 273 has more bottom end to it than most people want to admit.

I've got a 273 in a 4000 pound 4x4 truck with 6" of Lift and 33" tires and it'll burn all four tires in high range.

Specs : .060 Over 273, with Forged domed pistons, milled and ported 1.88 Valve J Heads, .500 Mechanical Lift Cam, right around 10:1 / 10.1:1 Compression, 340 Intake, 800 Thermoquad carb, Accel 300+ Ignition.

It was a $100 engine that looked like crap, I dropped it in my truck because I didn't have a running 318 or 360 at the time. The stock 4-Cylinder Turbo Diesel radiator was too small, warped the heads and had to replace them with the J heads. When I pulled the old heads off, I found out it had been recently bored and had new pistons in it, crosshatch still in the cylinders too. I'd say it was well worth the $100 I paid for it :D Swapped in a 4-Core C-Body Radiator, and gave the truck the Accel ignition from my Duster (since I had upgraded the entire ignition system on the car for the 6-71 Blown 340, the Accel setup only had about 200 miles of street use on it before I upgraded)

It has no problem pushing that heavy SOB of a truck down the road, you'd swear the truck either weighed 2000 pounds, or that there was actually a big block hiding in there instead :D

Niiiice!

I'm curious if anybody thinks that a 318 built the same would not sound just as nice. I'm pretty sure it would.

I installed a 8 3/4 rear end with 3.55 gears and ended up with firestone bias F-70x14 tires at 26" tall.. the 13" tires just spun like I was on Ice .... this is the correct combo for what I was searching for . and good on the hyway . at a roll in 1st gear > it will boil the tires and third gear feels to pull the hardest .. i just can't see running 4.56 gears or higher in this car ...Mine has the A833 trans with 3.09 low first gear set that comes Stock. 1964 and 65 only with trunion style . It must have been crazy back in the day !!

Don't know why some people said that 273 does have any bottom end or top end .. well , I beg to differ . this little dart has it all.
love that scream-in 273 ..

Exactly!! My old 273 would BBQ the tires rolling into 1st also so this no torque bullshit I keep hearing is from people have either not had a healthy one or just have no experience with them. It's always 340-360-or strokers. That's perfectly fine and I've had all three at one point. Spin a mild 360 to 7 grand a few times, ill bring the broom and absorbent. I understand this little sucker is far from stock but then again not really.

Exactly!! My old 273 would BBQ the tires rolling into 1st also so this no torque bullshit I keep hearing is from people have either not had a healthy one or just have no experience with them. It's always 340-360-or strokers. That's perfectly fine and I've had all three at one point. Spin a mild 360 to 7 grand a few times, ill bring the broom and absorbent. I understand this little sucker is far from stock but then again not really.

Thanks gtmopar ... You tell em ! hahahahaha
one of my mopar buddies has a duster magnum 380 crate with headers and 750 dp carb with 391 gears , auto and 3000 stall and my other buddy has a 72 swinger with a la 360 with a little cam and headers a 750, 4000 stall and 3.91 also .. my little dartcharger will go neck and neck with these guys .. they were quite surprised this little engine could hang with them.. go figure . hahahaha . and those were automatics ..

Attachments

• IMG_1997.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 603
stroker402
[/ame][/IMG]VIDEO
stroker402

Click on the picture . that will start the video.

Video of dartcharger Little Late night cruise around the block with open headers after finishing up installing them.

neighbors said they heard me coming 3 blocks away. . It was very loud inside the car..

[ame=http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/stroker402/?action=view&current=video1headersonDCtoglenns.mp4]
th_video1headersonDCtoglenns.jpg
[/ame]

1965 Plymouth Barracuda 273 engine on dyno - YouTube

here you go guys .. Watch how this little commando loves to rev to 7500 rpms... .
awesome !
I had lots 340 darts that never revved like a 273 commando does..

Go up on youtube and read what the engine specs were ...You will be surprised what was done to the engine.. practically nothing .
youtube > 1965 plymouth barracuda 273 engine on dyno.

Hmm. are you sure this makes 450 corrected horsepower?

That's over 1hp per litre with a flat tappet cam, dual plane manifold, factory heads and bottom end.

I would say 350hp would be a remarkably stout high performance street driven 273ci engine. 450hp fro 273 cubes would be race car fantasy for most people.

That's over 1hp per litre with a flat tappet cam, dual plane manifold, factory heads and bottom end.

I would say 350hp would be a remarkably stout high performance street driven 273ci engine. 450hp fro 273 cubes would be race car fantasy for most people.

It is a race car engine with pretty tight rules like ported stocker with stock valve size, I bet lots of compression and cam.

Frosty.... we are referring to the 273 on the dyno that makes 450 hp not my yellow dartcharger . the engine in the dartcharger is stock except for some add ons.

It is a race car engine with pretty tight rules like ported stocker with stock valve size, I bet lots of compression and cam.

Here is what the engine builder says about what was done to the 273 and the comments from viewers on youtube .

1965 Plymouth Barracuda 273 engine on dyno .knightracingservices·

Knight Racing Services FIA Appendix K 1965 Plymouth Barracuda 273 engine on dyno. Dyno pull between 6000-7500 rpm. Engine makes corrected 450bhp, built to 1965 specification; stock displacement, rockers arms, flat tappet cam, ported chrysler iron heads etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

knightracingservices 2 years ago

All you need is the right amount of airflow & RPM for any engine.
It doesn't know what name's on the valve cover, it's an engine.
The numbers you are seeing on the read out are torque numbers uncorrected. HP = Torque x RPM / 5252. Correction is STD Corrected horsepower ( 60 degrees, dry air sea level 29.92 baro.)
Thanks
Reply ·

knightracingservices 2 years ago

Yes, it's small but works well; makes peak power @ 7500. Nothing's impossible with a good budget!
Reply ·

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

grabir01 8 months ago

Wow !! I had no idea the 273 Commando could run like that.. I want one !!
Reply ·

Steve Wander 9 months ago

Oh man, I just sold mine...Imagine what it would do with lighter 318 piston pins, a cross drilled 340 crank and new Commando AL magnum heads...Very cool. Not much tone difference between 6 and 7500, thought it would be more pronounced.

Max Wedge Brony 1 year ago

hmm

Reply ·

Mr273commando 1 year ago

NICE!! im intrested in the combo youve got i to am going to be doen a 66 273 commando for my dart. Stock head's with 1.88 intake's? stock style 10.5:1 piston's? id love to get some more info on the build.
Reply ·

greenfuzz13 2 years ago

450 horse from a 273? Really?
Reply ·

I enjoy driving my 65 dartchrger 273 4sp better than my other 65 gt convertible that runs low 11's at the track on motor.
Just something about 4sp cars ......

Sooooooooooo .. this spring or sooner, I'll be selling the red convertible that is on my profile picture to the right.

mopar magnum crate engine .. All bone stock internals .. but has been tweeked to the hilt. car handles like a dream .. 11.0's quarter mile 1.50 60 ft. all on motor ...street car . drive anywhere . beautiful condition..
drivetrain and suspension been all gone thru .
soon as winter breaks here soon, it will be out there on the market for sale.
who ever buys this ragtop dart is going to be one "happy camper" .
john

Attachments

• raggie at tower by tree NICE.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 426
  • raggie pass rear side BEST BEST BEST.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 420
Its real simple, a smaller engine has to turn more rpm than a bigger one to make the same power.. a equally built 340 or 360 would stomp all over that 273 anyday.....

I also have two 365 CI motors for roundtrack use here, one made 418 ft lbs of torque at 3900 rpm, with a holley two barrel, and a .410 lift cam at 10.2 to 1 compression, try that with that 273!

not sure what is meant by "CORRECTED" 450bhp ?

All dyno results are dependant upon atmospheric conditions, Correction factors are used to standardise the results at a set air temperature, altitude etc.

This is my local engine builder. He's not a Mopar guy as such, but that 273 had some good tricks in it. He also did a 500 horse 349 (318-based) stroker for a circuit car, and doubtless a few more.

I had him balance my 318/390 rotating assembly, and it will go on his dyno when I get around to firing it up.

-
Back