273 distributor rotor rotates counterclockwise?

-

Son2PopsCuda

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP MOPAR FAMILY, from what I understand the rotor on a 273 supposed rotate clockwise, in my case it"s rotating counter clockwise, the firing order has been screwed up which is pretty easy to find but if the rotor spins opposite direction from how it supposed to spin the firing order means nothing. Can someone please validate what direction the rotor spins and confirm firing order on a 1967 Barracuda baseline model with a 273?? Thank You for all info.

Yes, clockwise. #1 is the front cylinder on the drivers side. 1,3,5,7 on the drivers side and 2,4,6,and 8 on the passenger side.

18436572 is firing order for all mopar small blocks. When dist rotates ccw is this when cranking over?

OP hasn't been on since his last post.

Another vote for marine engine. When boats have dual engine one turns backwards from the other. Its really the only possible thing I can think this would be.

Another vote for marine engine. When boats have dual engine one turns backwards from the other. Its really the only possible thing I can think this would be.

I'll second that. A cam and intermediate gear change should remedy it, if that's the case. The only other issue might be if the crank journal rear main seal surface is knurled ////// vs \\\\\\. A reverse rotation marine crank can cause a rear main leak in a std rotation engine.

Some marine engines run backwards? Has it ever ran? Tell us the story.
definitely ran before, last owner threw in aftermarket distributor but the spark plug wires did not fit on cap correctly, the cap has male tips instead of female inserts so I bought the correct cap for the vehicle but because it's an aftermarket distributor the cap I bought didn't seat tight on the distributor it clipped on but didn't seat, however it ran, turn't over quick and ran steady, we wanted to fit the right wires on the aftermarket distributor cap so after Accell wires where purchased and installed the motor was off, shaky and sounded as if it wasn't firing from at least one piston. figuring the firing order was screwed up because we put the old set up back in place and it still did the same we researched the order put that place and caused even bigger problems.

definitely ran before..........

As you crank it, which way is the balancer turning when looking at it from front of the engine?
upload_2017-11-11_12-57-47.png

Boat motor, change the camshaft and then fire it up.

..............Or a marine reverse rotation starter on an automotive engine.........

& it (reverse rotation eng) has a weird firing order 2-1-8-4-3-6-5-7 iirc but it was 15+ years ago (inboard 318 in a speedboat).

I believe tbe backwards marine engines had a hold down built into the cam valley to keep the oil pump driveshaft and gear seated. The backwards rotation makes it want to walk up out of the oil pump, pushing up on the distributor.

-
Back