273 distributor rotor rotates counterclockwise?

-
FWIW, ENGINE CW rotation ...................................and ENGINE CCW.....
upload_2017-11-11_16-59-47.png

Last edited:
That's funny Robert. That's the same order as all the Mopars.
Oh OK I see what you are sayin, but there was something different about it on the firing order iirc (other than the reverse rotation), I dont remember exactly what it was, but that sequence of numbers had stuck with me. I thought it might have been that with the timing slit lined up with zero on the dampener that it was at #2 TDC compression which does sound strange. OP post the outcome.

Don't get everybody screwed up Dave. The firing order is the same only counterclockwise. Big blocks and marine use the 18436572 order just backwards on the cap

All the books I've seen show 1-2-7 etc for a reverse rotation Chrysler marine 318

All the books I've seen show 1-2-7 etc for a reverse rotation Chrysler marine 318
Yeah I remember the 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 was normal but
that would make sense that #1 is still the first like normal but then the order starts from the other end of the numerical sequence but going the other way. 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8. Yes that was the one number transposed iirc that I remember from 15+ years ago. EDIT I'd like to get whichever pair of cam lobes is on compression/firing & see where the dampener slit is in relation to the TDC zero on the timing marks

Last edited:
If the engine spins backward wouldn't the oil pump blow bubbles into the oil pan?

The camshaft is different. I believe the distributor rotates the "normal" direction.

Chev used to have a BB truck engine that used a gear drive cam. In other words it was a normal rotation engine, but the cam was special and rotated the opposite way..........gear drive instead of chain

OP said it already ran once. He didn't say it drove,lol.
Of course it will run. It's just a matter of synchronizing the sparks. But if the engine is counter rotating.lol, it will go very fast in reverse/very slow in forward gears,and probably tear up the tranny. But I 'd sure like to see that,lol.
But in order for it to start and run,as already sortof said; the cam,the distributor,the intermediate gear,and the starter,are a set; and I imagine the oil-pump will be different as well.
So the first thing to do, is see in which direction the crank is turning during cranking, and then see if the valve events are correct for running in that direction. If the D has a vacuum advance, and it was designed for reverse rotation then the Vcan will be in a different orientation from standard.That's an easy confirmation.

1st diagram
Well that's a good sign; 1st diagram in post #17 is normal CW crank rotation; At least the starter is right.
Next pop a valve cover, and check the valve events, which should be; Intake, Compression,Power,Exhaust.These can also be arranged as;Exhaust,Intake, Compression,Power.
Notice Intake follows Exhaust; and not the other way 'round. Pick any cylinder, watch the valves while cranking. Intake valve must open right after exhaust closes. There will be a very short period of time when both valves are moving, then a longer period between the next pair of valve events, and again; first exhaust then immediately after, the intake event. If yours isn't like this, then you have a bit of teardown to do.

Last edited:
Maybe he's on the other side of the equator, thing's spin the opposite direction down there!!!

ok guys update, still new at this build, distributor does rotate clockwise my dumbass was turning the damn motor in the opposite direction, we've since got the correct firing order, she sounds like she wants to kick over but still to avail will not.

Pull#1 plug and stick your fingertip over the hole. Have someone bump the key until the compression blows your finger out. Look at the balancer and timing mark. It should be close to 0 or tdc. If not, carefully bump it to tdc or 10° before tdc. Pull the cap and whichever post the rotor points to is #1. Make sure the firing order is 18436572 clockwise starting from that point. Don't forget to put #1 plug back in. That should get you started. Then you can follow up with a timing light and get it correct.

very easy to get distributor 180 out on a mopar, plug #1 with finger and rotate crank clockwise until you feel compression, your rotor should be coming up on #1 plug wire wherever its on the cap, make it so if its not. you should be coming up on the TDC mark on your damper also, at about 11:00. Also check once more that the plug wires are 18436572 CW on the cap. I wired my 360 backwards coming back from a B motor.

-
Back