273 Engine set up I'm thinking of going with, let me know what you think

-

mikeyt2014

Reaction score
Edelbrock has a power package that includes:

Performer intake, Performer Plus camshaft 270 duration on both intake and exhaust with a 0.420 lift, and a 600cfm carb-electric choke.

Also I'm going to go with the Mancini Racing electronic distributor conversion with the orange ignition box, Accel wires, cap, and rotor.

A set of Forged 2v relief 30 over's 10.3:1 Speed Pro pistons p/n 2316f30

Any ideas of what this may bring in terms of horse power?

Is this a pretty good set up, any suggestions?

I believe the L2316F pistons are for a 340....

That was the part number that the tech rep from Summit Racing gave me. When you mean net rating, are you meaning crank hp or bhp

L2222-8 is the Egge part number for the high compression pistons and L2221-8 for low compression. .

When you mean net rating, are you meaning crank hp or bhp

I was talking crank hp, but more of a real world installed in the vehicle configuration. Mean with air filter, exhaust, accessories, etc.

Obviously it's just a guess, but I do think you can have nice driving street engine, and make enough power to run in the 14's if you ever wanted to make a few passes.

P.S. I should note that I was considering headers were in the mix also.

I must have went to bed too early, I missed this one. Sounds like the guy at summit just wanted to sell you a small block combo and not one for the 273. Oh well, He didn't know!
Egge has pistons available as does Kanter. You can search around here for 273 build threads because I have heard mention of pistons coming from other companies. I need to find them and file them for easy access. The camshaft needs to match the rest of your combo and hydraulic or solid is your choice although you will need lifters (of course) and different pushrods if you switch. Headers are really a must for max horsepower gains. You can make exhaust improvements by using early 340 manifolds. Lots of info here at FABO about those. Your carb and intake also depends on the combination you have and the final tune will optimize what you have. Feel free to read through my 273 build link below. tmm

If you want to use it on the street with pump gas, I would recommend keeping the compression at 9.2 to 9.5.

So many things to think about when building a engine. It's a lot of work and expense even if done right the first time. Lol

I am going to probably go with Heddman headers, it's a 69 Dart gt. The cam comes with hydraulic lifters. Are the 10.3:1's to high of a compression ration for 87 octane?

mikeyt2014, I don't think it is possible to get 10.3:1 compression. If you follow toolmanmike's build thread (link is in his signature line) and look at post 169 on page 7 he ended up with 9.6:1 using the "high compression" Egge replacement pistons with a little shaving on the heads.

That was just what the ratio was pro those pistons, but once the machine work is done I'll guess I'll find out.

Reading the other responses I thought the 10.3 pistons were for a 340 (much larger bore than the little 273).

Sounds like your build is approximating the factory Commando. Factory claimed 10.5:1 compression -- this was probably an exaggeration, but it definitely won't run on 87. I manage on 91 octane 10% ethanol California crap gas. If I get a funky tankful I might have to dial back the timing.

That ratio was for the Speed Pro pistons not the one's from Egge Industries. What is the commando engine? This one doesn't have an adjustable valve train.

Sounds like your build is approximating the factory Commando. Factory claimed 10.5:1 compression -- this was probably an exaggeration, but it definitely won't run on 87. I manage on 91 octane 10% ethanol California crap gas. If I get a funky tankful I might have to dial back the timing.

What he said...most older iron is rated pretty optimistic. And to be perfectly honest, the cam Edelbrock uses wouldn't be my first choice. There are better choices for the same cost. I'm sure there are some folks here who'd steer you away from the Performer intake. I don't know how it compares in power to the Weiand action plus intake, but the Weiand is cheaper by about $30.

JMO

The reason why I was thinking about using Edelbrock was becasue all three are a "matched" component set, up to about 5500 rpm. If there are other cam, intake, carb set up's that work well together, even if they are from different manufacturers please let me know. I'd like to see the imput on those. This will just be a daily driver that I would like to have better performance out of wilth a little rumble of a cam...and a few more ponies:)

That ratio was for the Speed Pro pistons not the one's from Egge Industries. What is the commando engine? This one doesn't have an adjustable valve train.

The 4bbl version of the 273 was known as a Commando (Plymouth) or Charger (Dodge). It had domed pistons, 10.5:1 compression, and a cam with .415/.425 lift and 248 duration. I'm surprised you don't know about this engine if you are building a 273 -- it would come up all the time when choosing parts.

AFAIK all 273s had mechanical lifters and adjustable valve train...?

If you go the hi compression route kanter has them on the shelf & are teflon coated skirts! & i can tell you there tough!!!!!! 1st hand exp here brother!

If you go the hi compression route kanter has them on the shelf & are teflon coated skirts! & i can tell you there tough!!!!!! 1st hand exp here brother!

I was happy with the Egge pistons I got but the Kanter's are pretty impressive.

How much do the Kanter's run? Am I gonna HAVE to run 91 octane if I go with the higher compression ones?

-
Back