273 help

-

Justin Brown

Reaction score
Alright guys I have had a 67 273 barracuda for quite some time and I finally managed to snatch the holy Grail of the 273, an original cast 4 barrel intake. My question is what 4 barrel and size was the super commando running in 67 so I get the best original fit when I swap from 2 barrel? I know the super commando had a hotter cam but I just built this motor 2 years ago and really don't want to unzip it again. I have read that it was a Holley 700. I also understood through some vague reading years ago that the formula S had a tachometer but I haven't been able to find a picture, in fact it looks like all the instrument clusters where the same so was it clamped to the steering column or am I missing something?

Sorry there was no "Super Commando". Just a 235 horse 273 that was called the Commando. 10.5/1 compression, dual point distributor, open plenum low rise intake manifold and Carter AFB, a chrome unsilenced air cleaner and black wrinkle finished valve covers. The cam in the 4 barrel was slightly bigger than the 2 barrel cam and was different specs through 65-67.

Alright guys I have had a 67 273 barracuda for quite some time and I finally managed to snatch the holy Grail of the 273, an original cast 4 barrel intake. My question is what 4 barrel and size was the super commando running in 67 so I get the best original fit when I swap from 2 barrel? I know the super commando had a hotter cam but I just built this motor 2 years ago and really don't want to unzip it again. I have read that it was a Holley 700. I also understood through some vague reading years ago that the formula S had a tachometer but I haven't been able to find a picture, in fact it looks like all the instrument clusters where the same so was it clamped to the steering column or am I missing something?

toolman has it right. The Holley 700 was on the factory racecar 273 called the "D-Dart". It had many other parts that were different from the production 273 Commando/Charger engine, and it made 275 horse. The production 273 had a 500 cfm Carter AFB 4 barrel carb.

Last edited:
67 barracuda FACTORY tach was in middle pod. Either a clock, tach or blank.
Are we overcamming this? Ez to do....I can show you how.

Sorry there was no "Super Commando". Just a 235 horse 273 that was called the Commando. 10.5/1 compression, dual point distributor, open plenum low rise intake manifold and Carter AFB, a chrome unsilenced air cleaner and black wrinkle finished valve covers. The cam in the 4 barrel was slightly bigger than the 2 barrel cam and was different specs through 65-67.
Ah so just commando, see I have a 67 gtx with the 440 I didn't know it was just commando for the 273, alright I'm off to find a Carter then.

67 barracuda FACTORY tach was in middle pod. Either a clock tach or blank.
Maybe I'll take you up on that I have already been in it around it and through it with this motor it was amazingly clapped out when I got it, if I get an itch though I'll get you to show me

I believe 4294S and 4295S is correct for 67 273.
Glad ya found 4bl intake, for me the 273 holy grail are the commando pistons.
Good luck with build. Lots of info on here with a few 273 builds.
Maybe I'll take you up on that I have already been in it around it and through it with this motor it was amazingly clapped out when I got it, if I get an itch though I'll get you to show me

What's the number off your intake just to be sure.

Do your bolt holes line up? Many 65 4bbl intakes out there that wont fit your later 273. I agree with 4spd, the pistons are far fewer to find

unless you are number matching I'd run an avs even if I have to bore the secondaries
LMFAO

I believe the carb on a commando was 500 cfm Carter (edelbrock has them ). Was never a Holley. Also just as pishta said set the intake manifold on the engine with the heads, it likely will not fit properly due to smaller and different intake manifold bolts used in 64/65.

I believe the carb on a commando was 500 cfm Carter (edelbrock has them ). Was never a Holley. Also just as pishta said set the intake manifold on the engine with the heads, it likely will not fit properly due to smaller and different intake manifold bolts used in 64/65.
That's why I asked in post #8. It's easy to get too excited and get the wrong parts.

Already stated...wwaayyy up there^^^^^^^^

2536771 66-67 273 w/California emmisions already laid it on correct bolt angles fits like a glove, I have had it for years and never actually bothered because someone had wrote 65-66 on it and I knew if that was right it wouldn't fit but I finally ran the numbers and landed on what I needed.

2536771 66-67 273 w/California emmisions already laid it on correct bolt angles fits like a glove, I have had it for years and never actually bothered because someone had wrote 65-66 on it and I knew if that was right it wouldn't fit but I finally ran the numbers and landed on what I needed.
Good. You're on the right track.

You can put a D-Dart Holley on it but you have to bore out the holes a little. I have a bound collection of Hot Rod articles on the LA and the first 3 build ups are 273's.

You can put a D-Dart Holley on it but you have to bore out the holes a little. I have a bound collection of Hot Rod articles on the LA and the first 3 build ups are 273's.
Sure you can put the Holley on and you will have to enlarge the secondary bores in the intake. You'll have to do the same with the 600 Edelbrock. Personally, I wouldn't use the Holley unless you use the rest of the D Dart parts. You need much more compression, cam, and headers.

The D-Dart used a 1/2" spacer/adapter to mount the 3778 Holley carb to the intake. The holes in the intake were not bored out. It ran in D/Stock and the part had to match the casting number drawing.

The D-Dart used a 1/2" spacer/adapter to mount the 3778 Holley carb to the intake. The holes in the intake were not bored out. It ran in D/Stock and the part had to match the casting number drawing.
There you have it..

I wouldn't go 700 cfm unless your planning on making 350 hp plus. 600 would be better.

-
Back