273 Rocker Swap?

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
I have a stock 273 2BBL in my survivor 67 Cuda, and want to keep it that way........BUT, I'm sick of the rockers and lifters..........Just don't want to mess with the things anymore.

What do I have to do to get this thing swapped out for hydraulics? Is there a "pack" I can get for this scenario?............or do I need different heads, or cam or more?

Some guys would say I'm just whining, I know........I just don't like the adjustables and don't want to monkey with them anymore.

What's out there? What to do? :read2:

Hydrolic lifters are quieter. need readjusting less often. Same adjustable rockers are used with hydrolic cam /lifter combo

so one thing I could do is leave the rockers ($%$#@), and replace the cam & lifters?

That's do-able, BUT it doesn't get rid of the rockers I hate........anything else I could do? :read2:

Run a set of OEM 1.5 ratio rockers/shafts with your hydraulic cam/lifter package. I pretty sure they are interchangable on the 273 heads?

I'd just swap the cam/lifters, then adjust your rockers. You'll be able to tune it more anyway than with stamped 1.5's and it will be less adjusting than the old solids probably...

If the car still has the stock solid cam in it you will need a cam/lifter, pushrods rockers and rocker shafts.

I would pick up a new cam and grab everything else off of a 318.

If the car still has the stock solid cam in it you will need a cam/lifter, pushrods rockers and rocker shafts.

I would pick up a new cam and grab everything else off of a 318.

Yep - that's what I did on my 273 - but I bought new lifters with the new cam which I think would be recommended by most.

So the stock 318 hydraulic rockers and shafts will fit correctly on my 273 heads? Yes?

That's what I was most concerned about.........need to be clear on that one.......and the last set of lifters-etc. I picked up for a small block were Comp.....any problems with that brand? :read2:

Changing to the later style stock stamped rocker setup with the hydraulic lifters is easy but you need to remember to orient the shafts correctly, otherwise the rockers won't get the proper oiling. The shaft oil hole is off-set from the attaching bolt hole so you need to make sure that the oil hole goes towards the outside of the the engine when placed on the head. Very important.

Ken
Edison, NJ

I converted from solid to hydraulic on my 273, mostly because half the rockers were galled on the inside, and the shafts were worn. I compared my new shafts and found them to be the same length and diameter as the original 273 and dropped perfectly on my 273 heads. AdamR is right, you'll also need the correct length pushrods.

How will I be sure to get the correct length pushrods? Stock 318 rods? 273 rods different? What?

Just get the whole shebang, (cam and lifters-new or used-pushrods-rockers and shafts)from a '68-later 273 (thats the year the 273ci. went hydraulic) or any small block, hydraulic-cammed engine.

That'll do ya!

Grab pushrods and rocker shaft/arm assembly used. Get the attaching hardware. The spacer where the bolt attaches the shaft to the head are larger on the hydraulic rocker arms than on the 273 adjustables. If something happens and rocker arms fall off, be careful in reassembly as rocker arms are not interchangeable by location. There are two different pushrod offsets that are used. They are stamped R and L. The first arm on the shaft with the tips pointing away from you will be an R arm. They alternate from there.
Install new cam and hydraulic lifters. As long as you have front off the motor, install a double roller timing chain. This more for consistent operation of valve/ignition timing than to resolve your issues. The rocker shafts must be oriented properly or else...

-
Back