273 Supercharged...ITS HAPPENING PEOPLE!!

-
You caught that,eh;goodonya
Cuz the later ones are the same as 360 but are bushed, whereas my 360core were pressed, and I had several sets.I wanted bushed cuz I planned on taking the engine apart several times for inspection, which I did. Every winter for 5 winters;3 times catching catastrophe in the making. The 4th and 5th times, the engine was fine,so it hasn't been apart again in over 12 years.Maybe it's time again......
The early teener ones were same as 273. I forget what year they switched;69 maybe? Those bushed 318 rods were same casting number as 340 rods. I woulda used the 273 rods but they didn't look like they could take 400/440 ftlbs for very long,nor 7000rpm; you've seen 'em,lol.
But then;have you seen the late hemi rods?

A street engine has a pretty tame life. Lack of traction and speed limits make it so; the engine never works very hard, nor for very long. Really a 360 is overkill. But if you only have one or 1.5 gears to get to 60mph, you need a broad powerband to get there, and that is where more cubes hits the mark with more average power during the run. If you had more gears to get there,you could keep the engine on the pipe,and then you can do with a smaller less-powerful engine. It's always about average power between start and finish..........until the tires give up. After that it hardly matters. That is why, for a streeter, the 60ft is so important.When it's go-time,it's gotta stick.
IMO, a turboed, small-displacement engine with the right combination of parts and a many-speed transmission, could be a powerful force to reckon with,on the street, or on the track.With traction,it would be like a snowmobile; Pop it off the line with little to no tirespin, get on the pipe, and then keep it there. You are sorta building my dream combo, except in my dream I run staged turbos;a big and a little, cuz you know, big ones just blow the tires away,lol.Also in my dream; I run ladder bars and the GVOD as a splitter, so my combo needs just a 1300rpm powerband. So I would start off with just enough power to initiate tirespin. I'd run 4.10s and a 4 speed with the 3.09 low, and the splitter. I'd hit 60 at 5800 in second gear, having used; 1st. 1st-over, and all of second, for a total of 3 ratios. The bigger turbo would need to come in a little later so as not to break traction. I wouldn't care about the power numbers, cuz the combo would be just about the fastest zero to 60 streeter ever on the face of the whole flat earth..........once the turbos were finally figured out. Oh yeah, in my dream, the big turbo is a remote, cuz lag, with the little one up front, would be non-existant. I'd run headers, shorties, cuz,you know; torque is not gonna be an issue. And I'd bolt that little one onto the end of the passenger-side header boxing in the toe-box if necessary, cuz I run alone anyway. Passengers can sit in the back.I'd figure out a way to bypass that little one when the big one gets to doubling the power, cuz you know; that little one on the right side is rapidly becoming a choke.
Actually, in my dream I run a 318 and a plenum on the exhaust, and I split and stage the turboes, off the plenum as necessary to get the job done.In that way, the little one can be buzzing along full-time, always ready to blast off. Yeah it gets complicated, but imagine the pay-off.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention; in my dream there might be a priority valve somewhere so the teener can bypass the turbos on the start-line; I mean a 4bbl teener with headers and a clutch and a 4.10, and a 3.09 first gear, and a 5800rpm shift, is already a potent force.
But enough about my dream.
Carry on, I've got my eye on you,lol, anxious to see how it all plays out.

You have some very vivid dreams!! You and I are not far off on the purpose. I want the car to be fast from 0-100. I could care less what the 1/4 number is. This is a fun street car. light to light car. therefore the turbos come in quick. At least that is what I'm shooting for. Thanks for the interest!

You have some very vivid dreams!! You and I are not far off on the purpose. I want the car to be fast from 0-100. I could care less what the 1/4 number is. This is a fun street car. light to light car. therefore the turbos come in quick. At least that is what I'm shooting for. Thanks for the interest!
As long as you can get it to hook. Most every street car can blow the tires off with moderate power.

As long as you can get it to hook. Most every street car can blow the tires off with moderate power.
You're not just kidding; even my 1973 factory stock teener (winter motor) with 4.30s and a 4bbl, smoked the the 275s. And not too bad with 3.55s and a 3.09 low either.And not too bad with a 2.74 low automatic 3.23s and a 2800. You can do a lot with TM in a streeter. Torque Multiplication.
But that's what turbos do too.Lots and lots and lots of TM.

This is your Dad talking, Build it safe and drive it safe. We (Mopar owners) don't need getting a bad rap for getting loose and plowing down people in the crowd like the Mustangs do. LOL

This is your Dad talking, Build it safe and drive it safe. We (Mopar owners) don't need getting a bad rap for getting loose and plowing down people in the crowd like the Mustangs do. LOL

why-mustang-owners-think-peorle-are-scared-the-their-car-19385126.png

I get it. My whole thought it that I need/want the thing to be drive able. And I rode in a centrifugal supercharged car and it felt a lot like a turbo car as far as lag. I thought it would be more like a roots type. So I decided that if I was going to have the lag I would steal less power and stick to what I know better. I'm still not there on the size and selection. Still a work in progress. It will be a wicked little ****. Stay tuned!

Not for nothin here, but I used to have a Vortech S trim (at the time, the smallest head unit they made) on my Mustang several years ago and while mine wasn't the fastest thing on 4 wheels it was a solid 12 sec car even before the blower...if the vehicle you rode in felt "laggy" to you, then it probably wasn't tuned correctly...or you're just used to faster vehicles.

Ive been told at least 100 times I could have spent less and had more power....... To me its really not about the power....its about the journey and the story!
You will allways hear that no matter what you do, what you build and what it is in.
The bottom line is your car your way and as long as your having fun with it, it's all good!

Edit - additional comment

I've noticed some people have this nich to all ways point out how things could have been done cheaper or better. In there opinion or fact, they can't help themselves with what I call diarrhea of the mouth. I call them Hypocrites in motion.

Last edited:

LOVE THIS! Ill make you a deal... Ill build it safe, But I cant promise the driving it safe part!

Not for nothin here, but I used to have a Vortech S trim (at the time, the smallest head unit they made) on my Mustang several years ago and while mine wasn't the fastest thing on 4 wheels it was a solid 12 sec car even before the blower...if the vehicle you rode in felt "laggy" to you, then it probably wasn't tuned correctly...or you're just used to faster vehicles.

Truth be told, I am a Turbo guy. Turbo Diesel, Turbo Volkswagen, Makes sense to have a turbo Dart! So I may have been looking for an excuse to make it harder! lol

LOVE THIS! Ill make you a deal... Ill build it safe, But I cant promise the driving it safe part!
:thumbsup:
I worked at the Buick dealer when the turbo cars came out. Some were hard to control on the street. Grand Nationals were the worse of course. I have seen some drag cars with uncontrollable boost at half track. Hazing the tires at 100 mph is not recommended. Those guys give turbos a bad name. Have fun. By the way, I like the way superchargers work so a Paxton would be perfect for a 273.

You will allways hear that no matter what you do, what you build and what it is in.
The bottom line is your car your way and as long as your having fun with it, it's all good!

Edit - additional comment

I've noticed some people have this nich to all ways point out how things could have been done cheaper or better. In there opinion or fact, they can't help themselves with what I call diarrhea of the mouth. I call them Hypocrites in motion.

I think its hard for people to understand why i don't want to buy a crate 408 and take the path of least resistance to 500hp. This car I want to do as much of the work as I possibly can. Its been my goal since I purchased it. I wanted to build the motor, rear, interior. Do the swap, build the turbo set up. Like I said its about the build. When I get it all together I am going to be able to stand back and tell this mildly funny story about my bad *** twin turbo 285 that I built. I am not worried at all about people who don't get it. To each their own. I just want something different. Something that know one I can find has done.

Truth be told, I am a Turbo guy. Turbo Diesel, Turbo Volkswagen, Makes sense to have a turbo Dart! So I may have been looking for an excuse to make it harder! lol

See, you could've saved yourself some himming and hawing if you'd have just stuck with what you know :lol:

Well here we go! I couldn't wait anymore. Had a big car show this past weekend and I drove it down. It had an exhaust leak and the breaks got hot and started dragging. I couldn't take it anymore. Had the morning available so My father in law and I started pulling her apart! Now I just hope the engine gets finished real soon!

Dart pic 1.JPG

Dart Pic 2.JPG

Dart pic 3.JPG

Dart Pic 4.JPG

:thumbsup:
I worked at the Buick dealer when the turbo cars came out. Some were hard to control on the street. Grand Nationals were the worse of course. I have seen some drag cars with uncontrollable boost at half track. Hazing the tires at 100 mph is not recommended. Those guys give turbos a bad name. Have fun. By the way, I like the way superchargers work so a Paxton would be perfect for a 273.
Car Craft had a G.N. on Buick factory test drive loan, 1986 ... Santa Maria Speedway, ( a third mile clay based circle track). Welll... less than inspiring to watch a magazine editor, drive an unsetup G body... being squirrelly. Ugh.

Update!! So the engine has been run and broke in!! My final intake is not quite done but was able to install an intake to run it. I have the Dyno sheet.......Any guesses what she made all motor? Good news is it didn't explode. He also made mention that it was one of the smoother motors he has run. I guess with the engines being solid mounted to the dyno you hear all the vibration in the dampener. Also got my US Car Tool sub frame connectors. I'm going to start installing them here in a day or so. So still moving. Here are some pics to keep you interesed!

Dart stuff 2.JPG

Dart stuff 3.JPG

You're not just kidding; even my 1973 factory stock teener (winter motor) with 4.30s and a 4bbl, smoked the the 275s. And not too bad with 3.55s and a 3.09 low either.And not too bad with a 2.74 low automatic 3.23s and a 2800. You can do a lot with TM in a streeter. Torque Multiplication.
But that's what turbos do too.Lots and lots and lots of TM.

May I ask what a winter motor is? Got me intrigued.

-
Back