273 upgrade intake and cam

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
wanted to get alittle more beef out of my 273 what edelbrock intake is good for a street/ daily driver? the block is a 1967 273. was thinking of also putting in a hotter cam and adding a 500cfm 4 barrel. i already upgraded my gears from the original 2.93 to a 3.55

wanted to get alittle more beef out of my 273 what edelbrock intake is good for a street/ daily driver? the block is a 1967 273. was thinking of also putting in a hotter cam and adding a 500cfm 4 barrel. i already upgraded my gears from the original 2.93 to a 3.55
The old LD4B works great...

I have an Edelbrock SP2P 318 that has the small ports listed in the for sale section

Picture 4090.jpg

Picture 4091.jpg

The Weiands don't have provisions for factory coil brackets and you will have to figure that out,just so your aware

I made my own bracket for the coil. As someone mentioned I should try a 6 pack coil bracket. It didn't fit so.....

IMG_0604.JPG

SP2P and the Weiand are polar opposites. SP2P is torque, and nothing but (huge advantage on a 273). Weiand is more of a general with the top end emphasis as most aftermarkets are. With the SP2P's small runners and the smaller displacement of the 2bbl 273 and stock logs, Id go that route. If you change the cam and want the power band to come up, then the Weiand would be a better choice. Performers are good too. You may need a plate on that SP2P to seal the carb, that baby is lean all around!

SP2P was designed and developed for gas mileage during the 70's gas crunch.
You want mileage? Use that intake!
DANM good intake for that!
You want power? Use ether a Weiand or Edelbrock Performer. A older Edelbrock is also very very good to use.

Last edited:
I am running the eddy ld4b intake matched to a 1806 ( i did play with the metering rods and jets) with a comp cam 270s. Also running 3.55 gears

The car can get up and go. Pretty fun

I'm glad we are talking about intakes instead of camshafts.

SP2P and the Weiand are polar opposites. SP2P is torque, and nothing but (huge advantage on a 273). Weiand is more of a general with the top end emphasis as most aftermarkets are. With the SP2P's small runners and the smaller displacement of the 2bbl 273 and stock logs, Id go that route. If you change the cam and want the power band to come up, then the Weiand would be a better choice. Performers are good too. You may need a plate on that SP2P to seal the carb, that baby is lean all around!
i see what you are saying here, its kind of how i have my slant six set up based towards torque than horsepower. the 273 does need a boost in the low end department. would the sp2p be a noticeable change from the stock two barrel? i just dont want to have basically an aluminum 4 barrel intake that is comparable to the stock 2 barrel. also whats the rpm range on the intake. Thanks for all of your guys knowledge and experience it has truly pointed me in the correct direction

Not to hijack but I have to make changes to my 273. It is lacking and im thinking its in the torque converter. Not sure of the stall.
Intake is LD4B, Eddy 1405 carb, comp cams 270S cam and lifters.
It feels like its lacking torque.

Not to hijack but I have to make changes to my 273. It is lacking and im thinking its in the torque converter. Not sure of the stall.
Intake is LD4B, Eddy 1405 carb, comp cams 270S cam and lifters.
It feels like its lacking torque.
what kind of gears do you have? i currently have 2.93 ratio my 4 speed slant pulls harder but its geared really well. 3.23/3.09 first. this is how i know i need to upgraded that rear ratio. iam going to drop in a 3.55.

Factory 323. 904 floor shift
what kind of gears do you have? i currently have 2.93 ratio my 4 speed slant pulls harder but its geared really well. 3.23/3.09 first. this is how i know i need to upgraded that rear ratio. iam going to drop in a 3.55.

... would the sp2p be a noticeable change from the stock two barrel? i just dont want to have basically an aluminum 4 barrel intake that is comparable to the stock 2 barrel. also whats the rpm range on the intake...

The SP2P on a teen ran out of steam at 4500 according to a 318 truck guy, but he also said the truck would idle up a hill with that intake on 44 inch tires. The 273 pumps less so you may get a few hundred more out of it but 95% of your driving is probably under 4500 anyway. Just match the cam to the intake. I would not run a 270 cam with that intake.

What style of gasket should i use? iam going using 500 cfm 1403 edelbrock. should i use a thicker gasket?

The SP2P on a teen ran out of steam at 4500 according to a 318 truck guy, but he also said the truck would idle up a hill with that intake on 44 inch tires. The 273 pumps less so you may get a few hundred more out of it but 95% of your driving is probably under 4500 anyway. Just match the cam to the intake. I would not run a 270 cam with that intake.
Yes...mileage AND TORQUE!

What style of gasket should i use? iam going using 500 cfm 1403 edelbrock. should i use a thicker gasket?

Oh yes, the edelbrock carbs can have some issues with heat, boiling the fuel in the bowl. So hard starting afterwards

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...-_-edelbrock&gclid=CJyF5JiW3NICFYFYfgod4hcLeg

I changed to his gasket - it was a huge help. One of the better $20 spends I made
okay got it i was also going to add dual exhaust but was wondering what would be better on the 273 duals to the back or a bigger diameter y pipe 2.25inch. was also thinking of headers but i hate those damn header leaks

The dreaded headers. Do you have column shift? That would be the problem. Sanderson makes a real nice header that fits into our cars, the DD8. I have column shift, so the driver side had to be modified. (see my garage)

I vote for 2 .25 duals with an H pipe.

-
Back