2x4 question

-

DR. JECKYL

Reaction score
if you were to take a inline 2x4 intake and put the off setting offy adapters on would the inside surface area of the offsets allow the gas to vaporize more potentially giving you more h.p. and efficiency

I would recommend using 2x4's for the framing and plywood or panel for the "surface"....

Is love to get a set for a rat rod early '32 type of car.

To answer your question, yes. You would be increasing the plenum. But the plenums are now gonna be pretty big

You are correct and yes.
However the design is not what I'd call optimum for what you think.
The slight curve, moving the carb to the side, the air cleaner stud is in the middle of the plenum collecting the fuel.

The better way is to go straight up. Think dual quad tunnel ram.
I'm NOT saying you won't increase power with these, I just think there's a better way cirrentley and readily available.

You are correct and yes.
However the design is not what I'd call optimum for what you think.
The slight curve, moving the carb to the side, the air cleaner stud is in the middle of the plenum collecting the fuel.

The better way is to go straight up. Think dual quad tunnel ram.
I'm NOT saying you won't increase power with these, I just think there's a better way cirrentley and readily available.

what was the purpose of the old cross rams then was it only for looks or just to keep the duals under the hood?

what was the purpose of the old cross rams then was it only for looks or just to keep the duals under the hood?
The old crossrams had a much different design than just using two of these on an old D66 intake.

attachment.php

It actually promoted cross flow. Really, all you are doing is making the plenum bigger and doing what rumblefish already said, not making a crossram.

What would really help is if you told us what you are doing with the engine, otherwise this really is just a home decoration thread. or even what intake you are gonna put these on. FWIW, I'd just get the Indy Modman intake if you wanna run dual quads and don't want something with the plenum volume of a cup of water.

The old crossrams had a much different design than just using two of these on an old D66 intake.

attachment.php

It actually promoted cross flow. Really, all you are doing is making the plenum bigger and doing what rumblefish already said, not making a crossram.

What would really help is if you told us what you are doing with the engine, otherwise this really is just a home decoration thread. or even what intake you are gonna put these on. FWIW, I'd just get the Indy Modman intake if you wanna run dual quads and don't want something with the plenum volume of a cup of water.
that thing is a piece of art! seen them asking purpose and if practical. but thanx

that thing is a piece of art! seen them asking purpose and if practical. but thanx

let me put it like this, you are gonna need an engine that moves a whole lotta air to see the performance end of it and it will kinda suck as far as street manners go.

Pan Gasket, Good addition there. I should have mentioned that.

If your trying to achieve a trick or slick look, then get them. I would not recommend them myself. I have not tried them. A little pricey for my pocket just to test. But I think they would look great on a old chop & channeled high boy.

The above pictured cross ram is a part that responded really well to very certain cam shafts. So said the creater of the intake. I would not try and use that intake with a mild grind. Like said above, the Indy Mod Man intake is a slick looking part. Is to that route.

Other 2X4 inline intakes have been long discontinued. The D-66 & the D-64 have been long out of production. I have one myself.

Pan Gasket, Good addition there. I should have mentioned that.

If your trying to achieve a trick or slick look, then get them. I would not recommend them myself. I have not tried them. A little pricey for my pocket just to test. But I think they would look great on a old chop & channeled high boy.

The above pictured cross ram is a part that responded really well to very certain cam shafts. So said the creater of the intake. I would not try and use that intake with a mild grind. Like said above, the Indy Mod Man intake is a slick looking part. Is to that route.

Other 2X4 inline intakes have been long discontinued. The D-66 & the D-64 have been long out of production. I have one myself.
That's what I was getting at with the crossram post. I have no clue what he is building or what his end goal is. its pretty much shooting in the dark at that point. I figure, minus well state the ups and down in layman's terms. I believe if you try and use that Offy adapter on the D66/D64, you will need a carb spacer and no tiny one either, so there goes even more plenum volume. That is because of how low the carb sits on the intake.

That's what I was getting at with the crossram post. I have no clue what he is building or what his end goal is. its pretty much shooting in the dark at that point. I figure, minus well state the ups and down in layman's terms. I believe if you try and use that Offy adapter on the D66/D64, you will need a carb spacer and no tiny one either, so there goes even more plenum volume. That is because of how low the carb sits on the intake.
i also thought they would have a different look and was kicking around the idea but was looking for input on if they were practical and you guys answered the question sufficiently and i thank you for that and as my father used to say all show and no go i was thinking a couple small holleys on a commando and build to suit but from what you guys are saying it would be only for show on that small of a engine it was only a thought for a different look thanx again

i also thought they would have a different look and was kicking around the idea but was looking for input on if they were practical and you guys answered the question sufficiently and i thank you for that and as my father used to say all show and no go i was thinking a couple small holleys on a commando and build to suit but from what you guys are saying it would be only for show on that small of a engine it was only a thought for a different look thanx again
No problem. if you are looking for some show and go, the best routes (IMO for the street) are a six pack intake or the indy modman

Well. On the D-66/64 I have, 2 Carter's sit on it and operate fine. Adding the adapters would just require the gasket. Hooking it all up there after, well.....
I don't know about Holley carbs on the D-66/64.

I just got done collecting all the big parts to a future 6 pack build. Click my screen name and see it in the picture box. Next are some ProMax parts.

Well. On the D-66/64 I have, 2 Carter's sit on it and operate fine. Adding the adapters would just require the gasket. Hooking it all up there after, well.....
I don't know about Holley carbs on the D-66/64.

I just got done collecting all the big parts to a future 6 pack build. Click my screen name and see it in the picture box. Next are some ProMax parts.
yes, but look at how low they sit inbetween the valve covers, those adapters have almost nowhere to go on their own

Where is the picture to look at?
I don't know what kind of clearance you'd get with them. Like said above, there is a fella here that has them on his small ock and I do not remember if he set it up in line or crossed. But I don't not remember any issues with the valve covers and the adapters.

*I think* they clear.

-
Back