2x4 Question

-

longarm

Car sold back to original owners
Reaction score
Question.
If a dual 4 manifold that fit a 360 -340 properly was available
would it sell?
What would be the required features to make it a sellable piece?
High rise?
Low rise?
Any input would be helpful.
Thanks,
Longarm

wow, never thought about that, it makes me nervous trying to tune four barrels, i wouldnt even think about a six pack, fourbarrels would be really cool though. probably want a low rise for street, alumninum

If you have one and it is a low one (stock height) I will trade my Eddy tunnel ram for it.

I know that Eddy makes an Air Gap low rise 2x4 for chevy and ford, if there was one for a smallblock mopar I would be interested.

For me a single plane 2x4 intake similar to the old "Rat Roaster " manifold of years past is exactly what I am looking for. Been contemplating making my own sheet metal manifold for my 360. Why what ya got or got in mind?

Offenhauser 2x4 manifolds are still available through Summit - pricey though. The high-rise single plane OFY-5698's for the 360/340 are over $425. The #5488's (lowriser for 64/65 small port heads) are a dime-a-dozen on eBay.

www.offyparts.com sells them as well, but they're more expensive than Summit.

I've owned a couple dual plane Edelbrock D66's that sold pretty quick (about $300 each) There's one on eBay right now (item# 250222432414). D64's are far more prevelent on eBay.

Weiand offers a high rise dual holley style square bore. I'd like to see a low rise version that I could run holleys on. I think it would perform great on a stroker engine if it was properly designed.

I would like to see someone come back out with a cross-ram for a small block that was more reasonable than what the the old Edelbrock STR's sell for now.

Chuck

The Offy's are a divided single plane?

The Edelbrock Chevy and Ford offerings are nice. To bad they do not have a MoPar one. If they did, I'd own it by now. A nice new dual quad RPM intake.....yuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I'm doing a little investigative work of which I cannot disclose
at this time.
What I would like to know is:
1: Of the offerings that are now available by other manufacturers
what are best and why?
2: What would you change to make a better manifold.
3: Any special features that would benefit or make such a manifold
interesting or valuable to a racer or street car driver.
Things like holley vs. eddy, distributor clearance, hood clearance, choke, water passages, port sizes, things of importance to a potential owner.
The smallest detail or need should be addressed.

The tunnel rams and STR series manifolds won't be in the mix at this time,
only single or dual planes designs.

Thanks Guys

One just like this...
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL-7525&autoview=sku
but for a smallblock 360 and with enough room for sick bastards like me that firewall clearance isn't an issue (53 Merc pickup) and want to run one of the HEI converted distributors like this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=130194794842&rd=1

Someting that you can use either Eddies or Hollies if a thin adapter plate is needed to run one or the other thats no big deal but still remain low enough to clear the hood on a stock A-body. All for under 300 bucks.

What would really make me wet myself is one of these for a 360 mopar...
http://www.vintagespeed.com/6x2 log.jpg

If a dual 4 manifold that fit a 360 -340 properly was available
would it sell?;
A 340/360 intake for dual 4bbl.'s would sell at a low rate. But would be real nice to have for a wow factor. Biggest problem is a single 4bbl is known to be a bigger power maker with todays intakes as years back, such intakes were not on the market and multi carbs was the way to do things.

What would be the required features to make it a sellable piece?
High rise? Low rise?

To stand toe to toe with the current RPM/Stealth offerings on a performance level. Dual mountabilty like the Crosswind intake would be a big help and cost cutter in the long run.

The amount of rise would be nice if under hood instalation could be done without hood interfearance. If the amount of height didn't allow for under hood installation, marketabilty would drop. Many do not want to cut a hole in there hood and/or have a carb stick out of the hood. Sometimes local law men frown on these things just on sight alone, But I myself would use a saw and a nice scoop ontop.

What I would like to know is:
what are best and why?

Theres only 2 low rise intakes being sold. Edelbrock and Weiand. Weiand has 2 versions, a low rise and hi rise, which is just a low rise with more carb pad adding to plenum volume.

These intakes take a different approach to each other. The Edelbrock as 360scamp posted a link to is a dual plane. Some runners are long, some are very short. Not a fan of a long runner short runner. There has to be a lean/rich cylinder problem here. Note at the front and rear theres 2 runners, easy to see, that wrap around and "S" bend alot? How about the 2 inside the plenum you can see easy. Direct short runners right to the heads port.

We know how runner length plays into RPM tuneabilty and band of power operation.

The Weiand, both intakes have a short runner. The intake is a split single plenum design. This probably lacks a little low end torque, but I'd bet it makes more power and tunes a bit easier. Save 5 & 7 cylinders. Unless they did some work before they released it to help out.

Such is the difficulty in makeing a better mouse trap. When one sees it, they try to incoroparate the new and better designs and ideas into there new trap. (Food for thought sentence.)

Racer or street driver? A street striper may want the abiltys of some race intakes without needing to take advantage of them or mandotory useage of the race intake has built into it. But, somethings like;

Air Gap design with a sunken area that runs deep into the lifter valley area. While this will require more material to use when casting, the added clearance will be helpful when;

You can tap the middle of the intake for plumbing the middle of the head for extra coolent removal. Cool heads are happy heads and make more power.
Tapabilty at the rear ends as well. That would be a nice extra.

Portable runners. Sometimes, a stroker will require more, but in itself is a problem with a yet unknown design. The old LD-340 and current RPM do preety OK from what I'm told ontop of strokers Both intakes have good size (Near port matched) runners.

Things like holley vs. eddy, distributor clearance, hood clearance, choke, water passages, port sizes, things of importance to a potential owner.
The smallest detail or need should be addressed.

Things like dual mountings, sideways or in line would be nice. On a street stripper, I think in-line would do fine. A low rise intake as compared to a true tunnel ram wouldn't really need sideways mounting would it? I do not see a need myself.
I think being able to tap a hole for an older carb would be nice.

I myself would like to be able to use a T-Q, single carb intake or dual in line carb intake, yes a pair of T-Q's on top. Grinding away at the intake is no big deal at all. Just haveing the room for it seems to be these days.

The water cross over at the front. I like the Victors raised passage. But being able to tap left and right sides would be very very cool. Raised passage or not.

Ease of intake bolt installation. LOL!!!!!!

Having enuff height in the runners so that IF they run the lower section of a dual plane do not dip below the heads port inlet. Creating a "S" bend as view from the front, not from above. This adds a height problem.

I believe their was a TQ x2 for the 383 and 400.
The trade offs one thing for another is almost mind boggling.
Unfortunatly you are correct, their are much better ways
to make power and this is old tech that still works, but whose
days are numbered and nostalgia may be its only hope.
That why all the Questions and requests for input, to
gauge interest and viablity.
Had C or P offered the option on a 340/360 it still might fly
but sadly they didn't.
That makes this manifold a specailty or nitch item.

A dead horse is a dead horse, even if you put a new saddle
on him your still not going anywhere.

He he he true true. I'd still like to get one. One of these days I'll get it. No rush here for it though.

I would like to see someone come back out with a cross-ram for a small block that was more reasonable than what the the old Edelbrock STR's sell for now.

Chuck

I don't know anyone will reproduce them because of the small amount of people that will actually buy/run them. In a few weeks, I will post a few pics of my 408/Indybrock headed/Cross Ram'd motor.

I have done an lot of research on all types manifolds.
I'm by no means an egg spurt.
All the research I've done would lead me to the conclusion that the
STR manifold was a complicated piece that required extensive massaging
to work properly if at all for anything but wide open applications.
But it has the COOL factor in spades!

Years ago I had an Edelbrock "Rat Roaster" intake on my hemi. The thing I liked was the fact it met the "within 1 inch of stock height manifold" requirements of the class I was racing at the time and made awesome power from 3000 rpm up.

but to answer your questions:

what are best and why?

Not happy with any of the offerings

I would make a "mid-rise" single plane manifold with multiple top designs

Multiple top designs from single 4 bbl to 2-4bbl to cross ram to 3x2bbl or even a 8x1bbl design. As an extra feature you could include internal plumbing for nitrous.

IF YOU COME UP WITH ANYTHING CLOSE TO THIS I'D BUY ONE TODAY

-
Back