3:23 or 3:55 gears?

-

cudajim

cudajim
Reaction score
So I have a stock 67 Barracuda with an 8-3/4" housing and some old station wagon gears in it. I want to get a real set of posi gears in it but don't know if I should run 3:23 or 3:55 gears. I'm not racing it at all just mild highway cruising. It has a mild 273 engine/4bbl and 904 trans. I do have the original pig but it was whining about 10 years ago so I yanked it out and its been sitting ever since. If anybody in Northern Ca. can help me out I'd like to buy a pig already done or get mine rebuilt.

One more thing, I have new axles with big bolt pattern to match the front brake system.

I have 3.53's in my 65 B'cuda and at 70 MPH I am spinning around 2800RPM's with 15 inch tires. This did get my 19.2 mpg in town though. I havn't taken it on a long trip yet to get hwy mileage.

If your going to keep it under 60mph 90% of the time, go 3.55's. If your going to see the highway at all I would use the 3.23's.

Jim

I have 3.53's in my 65 B'cuda and at 70 MPH I am spinning around 2800RPM's with 15 inch tires. This did get my 19.2 mpg in town though. I havn't taken it on a long trip yet to get hwy mileage.

If your going to keep it under 60mph 90% of the time, go 3.55's. If your going to see the highway at all I would use the 3.23's.

Jim

That pretty much answers it. I am going to do a combo highway and around town. I think I will go with 3.23's

Thanks,

jimb

There's the reason the 3:23 is called the "maximum performance" gear by Ma. Probably the best all around gear, especially for your application. Good luck, Geof

-
Back