3 Car Garage

-

superchargeddrt

Reaction score
Well it's finally going to happen, I am selling my current house with a 2 car integral garage and buying another home 15 miles from where I currently live, the only problem is that this house doesn't have any garage. So here's the good part I get to build my own 3 car garage Woo Hoo! I have been waiting for this forever, now here's the question, I am trying to keep the cost to a minimum so I can't build a monster size garage, do you guys think that 24 x 32 is big enough to work in? Also will 10 ft walls with the tresses modified be tall enough for a lift? Thanks for your input, pictures to come when construction starts.

24 x 32 is a good size garage. Just remember one thing- no matter how big they are they will never be big enough after a couple of year of adding junk. I have a 20 x 24 and wish it was at least twice as big as it actually is.

I have a 32 x 40, and it's full.... Need more....

POLE BARN! Did my 42x 48 for 18k 5 years ago in PA. Make sure they pour the slab thick for the lift, and you might want to pit a conduit under the slab where the lift will go for the wires. Figure out the height needed with a van on it at full working height to be on the safe side. Mine are 16" but it is to have a rv inside. Still waiting on a lift though.....

Also if local laws do not allow a drain in the floor, install a drain just before the pour of concrete, capped with duct tape so when they do pour it the concrete just covers it. after it is inspected, you just have to bust through the top thin layer.

My garage is 22 x 32 inside. I wish it was 24 wide and 34 deep... Those 2 extra feet each direction would make a huge difference, especially is you want to ever park more than two cars in there for whatever reason.
As already stated, NEVER big enough but with a limited budget, if you can squeak out that extra 2 feet deep, you will be much happier!
Also, make sure you have at least an 8 foot high door. Mine is 9 feet high and I wish it was 10!

Attachments

• garage.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,237
do you guys think that 24 x 32 is big enough to work in? Also will 10 ft walls with the tresses modified be tall enough for a lift? Thanks for your input, pictures to come when construction starts.

Our lift is 13ft 6 in. Atlas makes a low ceiling one was well thats only 10 ft , 6 in so I'd shop around a little and see what suits you.

Mine is 24 x 24, and I plan on going 10 feet more in depth with an addition.

IMO, it still ain't big enough.

I have a 30x40. The walls are 12 feet high with a vaulted ceiling. My Bend pak just fits the ceiling. I think you need a total of 14 feet, but double check. Minimum 8 foot doors. With 40 feet wide, I can get 3 cars wide, with some room for equipment along the walls. I can open the doors of the cars without hitting the other cars. Just like air compressors and tool boxes, Think of what the maximum size you can afford, not the smallest you can get away with. I also have a shed for parts. Garage for work, she'd for stuff that sits around. Also consider the door style. I use a standard style. I have to have the door shut when using the lift, or the car will hit it. A roll up door would have fixed that, but I didn't like the look of the roll up.

I have a 30x30 with a single garage door at the back(drive thru) and an 11x20 shelter with extra,s LOL.The pitch on my roof won,t allow for a lift,which I really need as I get older.Plan ahead is my advise.

I have a 30x30 with a single garage door at the back(drive thru) and an 11x20 shelter with extra,s LOL.The pitch on my roof won,t allow for a lift,which I really need as I get older.Plan ahead is my advise.

I thought you were 30!! :poke:

Wow, what a lot of good advise. If 14 feet is the minimum height for a lift I might have to rethink my plans! I am super excited to get a free standing garage but it has been quite the process. Everything is extra money!LOL Anyway thank you FABO members for all of your imput, I knew that I could count on you! I will keep the thread updated and I promise you pictures when construction starts (looks like 1 month from now). I will have to store the Dart in a gated storage facility until then, not popular with me but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Thanks Again

If zoning allows I would consider a pole barn. You get more for your money. In 2008 I built a 40 x60 Pole Barn with 16 foot rafters( to store RV) and a 6 " epoxy painted concrete floor. I went a little over board on mine and dry walled the whole thing and built a wall to separate the RV from the rest of the Building. I also put in a used lift and built benches and cabinets along the back wall and many,many lights. I had around $30,000.00 all in when done but you could put up a nice sized bld with a little less fluff for a decent amount.

35 x 50 x 14, two 10 x 10 and two 12 x 12 overhead doors and one man door. What ever you do build as big as you can afford. They get small quick. $26k is what I have in the building and the concrete inside the building.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,199
mine is 24 x 72 & you guessed it - it's not big enough. I mentioned adding on - you never heard the word NO! so many times in a 5 minute span in your life,

s w Missouri seems to be the mecca of pole buildings. mainly a " farm type" structure. but also are used for most garages. Zoning?? does that have something to do with " cow patties"//??????
for example, a local co. known for " best" prices, gets $13,100 for a 40 x 60 , with 1 slider and 1 walk in door, I think 10ft to truss, 29 ga painted steel.
you can buy 26 ga steel, some is guaranteed 40 yrs and some less.
make it taller and add windows, garage doors, concrete, and it will get expensive pretty quick.
one inexpensive " dress up" around here, would be to frame up the front and use a cedar "lap" board for siding. that would raise the insurance rate though. ins co like metal ext. bldg.
many country homes, when they need a need a new shingle roof, people are using metal. lasts forever, inexpensive, and hail won't kill it!

My attached is 28x36, I can get 3 cars in and have room for benches, machines and what not around the perimeter! I also have a 30x40 pole barn and yes, like the others both are full!! Neither has a ceiling high enough for a lift, but I understand that 12' 6" is required for a 2 post lift!!

My old house in New Jersey had a 2 car garage attached, it also had a three car garage at the rear of the back yard with a 5 room apartment (servant's quarters) above it.
Plent of room for the daily drivers in the attached 2 car garage, and of course the 3 car garage out back became my personal shop, and the 5 room apartment became a man cave, with a band practice/recording studio, a room for my model railroad layout, a media room, and second kitchen and Den. It also had 1-1/2 baths. ;)

I still miss that house, and we moved from there nearly 30 years ago. lol

The shop space question is too variable dependant for me to offer any suggestions other than build as big as you can. Now for the wall height, I can answer that. The truss company can build whatever you need for inside floor to ceiling height. All you have to do is tell them what your lift requires and give them a set of plans.

Got a 32x40. FULL. Here is the lift I use....I have 10'6" to ceiling but was too tight for a permanent lift...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,081
-
Back