30 years between runs

-

mopar4406bbl

Reaction score
Well went to trac saturday and made a couple passes,last time I was at a track was June of 1980.last time made a pass in a car was 1979 maybe 78,things sure has changed.TOO much safty crap, nhra sure likes to make racers wast money.My second pass was a 10.11 so now they tell me I have to change my battery switch in rear of car to a push-pull and it was to stick out past bumper so if car backs into wall it has a 85% chance of shutting off.I have to wear a fire suite, fullface helmet & neck pad.All I need is a fire jacket as long as I don't pick up 12 hundrets. My proban welding jacket wouldn't pass because it not a proban jacket sold by someone nhra likes.

Not worth the money if you only race once every 30 years, LOL

That thing is flying though !

Well, be safe, not sorry, do the dance they want and enjoy the track. Have fun.

I was starting to head the direction of getting serious with a nova I had years ago but I ended up selling it.I have friends running from 8s to 10s and to see how much they spend a year just for licenses and updates,not to mention fuel ect. is amazing.Im juts a casual drag racer now,some day I may build a 10 sec. car again but it will be long after my kids are grown and it will have to be able to be streetable for me to really enjoy it.

Rules are there for a reason,if you don't like them don't come to the track i for one am very glad to see a track inforce the rules for the safety of ALL involved...

They say the NHRA rules are written in blood...

I won't build a car to run faster than 11.49, the maximum speed you can run without a roll bar. To run 10s these days you have to have a full cage. No thanks.

As a happy side effect, stuff doesn't break as much when you only run 11.50s, so it makes the racing more enjoyable (not to mention cheaper) all around. :)

Steve

To run 10s these days you have to have a full cage.

Don't know where your getting your info,but my duster has only a 6-point bar in it and its good to 10.00....

Well, be safe, not sorry, do the dance they want and enjoy the track. Have fun.

I have to agree with rumble, they are just trying to keep everybody safe. You can't dog em' for that. I know some of it's crap, but could you imagine how many lives that could have been saved with todays technology?

All I know if my car was doing 10's, I'd be willing to do whatever they told me. LOL!

Don't know where your getting your info,but my duster has only a 6-point bar in it and its good to 10.00....

My bad. They were going to change this, but apparently it does not apply to full bodied cars with unaltered firewalls.

Steve

Yes it costs money to be safe. But when I see those roll-overs and such, I'm all for safety. Glad you're back. Enjoy!

I don't have a problem with most of the things, except the full face helmet.There is no way a full face is nessary with a full cage & 5 harness straps holding me in.I have never found one that wasn't too dam uncomfortable. Does anyone know of any that doesn't squeeze your face?

I will probaly catch crap for this but I may as well stir it up a bit.Its funny reading this and everybody just falling in line,safety,safety and how many lives could be saved.I have a few good friends locally that are older-and old school- that were dong this back in the hay day and to see the pics of their stock looking cars that ran tens is amazing but their stories and outlooks are even more amazing.They ran in a time where more cars ran tens and drove the streets with factory safety gear than their are at the local strip here today,you only worried about the three c's,compression cam and carb,their was no fancy bs and they ran hard,harder than most serious money builds these days,of course pump gas was better.Anyway they never had people dying all the time at the strip,the only people getting in wrecks were mainly on the street and were drinking.Even at the local street races I had never seen a wreck and I got to see alot of it when I was really young since my cousin let me hang out with him in his 69 ss 396 4 speed car because I looked older and was into cars.Another of the old timers working at our local track said there are more wrecks today than there ever was back then,kind of crazy when you consider there were alot more cars running fast here back in the late 70s early 80s than now.Sure attendance is greater now but the average quarter mile times of these cars are slower by about 3 seconds and sure there are a few more 8 and 9 second rides but all you have to do is figure how many more factory mucsle cars and modified cars there were on the road then vs. now and there was alot more action,I was fortunate enough to catch the last of it in the early 80s before it really dwindled.I think its the people,there are too dam many stupid people who ruin good things,its certainly inevitable that when the population grows there are going to be more and more laws to "protect us" but unfortuantely alot of us just fall victim to stupid peoples actions.Dont get me wrong there are alot of good rules in the nhra but along with rules comes politics and it keeps alot of good people-around here anyway-from going to the track,including some of the wisest and most experienced.Oh well,I guess we have been brain washed that everything must be 100% safe to participate-or maybe more people should learn how to handle a car before hitting the track,either way the scene here will never be what it once was,theres my .02,feel free to add yours:-D.

Some of the rules are very good, others, like certing belts every two years is nothing but wasteful for racers and a money making proposition for the NHRA cronies.

Diapers on cars running 9.99 or better??? another doozy.

As far as the cut off needing to be push/pull... I call BS. You need a switch at the rear of the car which MUST be clearly labeled on/off. It DOES NOT have to be a push/pull. A single throw switch like Moroso/Comp Eng/Cole Hersee sell will do just fine.

"13.99 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and for the rider of any motorcycle. Most drivers can use a helmet meeting SNELL K98, M2000, SA2000, M2005, or SA2005 specifications."

Doesn't say a full face helmet. I know a bunch of guys that run 10.00-11.00 that use open face brain buckets.

Neck collar???? You running 9.99 or better?

Search around the web for answers to the stuff you got told.

They ran in a time where more cars ran tens and drove the streets with factory safety gear than their are at the local strip here today,you only worried about the three c's,compression cam and carb,their was no fancy bs and they ran hard,harder than most serious money builds these days,of course pump gas was better.

They didn't run 10s. They ran 12s but their stories get faster with age.

Serious money builds these days run 7s or high 6s. Nothing from "back in the day" runs like that, especially on a 10" tire.

The fact is, if people get hurt or die often, it gives the sport a bad name. It also keeps (some of) the idiots off the track. If people half-*** the safety issue, god only knows what else is jimmied together on their car. I don't need that clown running next to me.

They didn't run 10s. They ran 12s but their stories get faster with age.

Serious money builds these days run 7s or high 6s. Nothing from "back in the day" runs like that, especially on a 10" tire.

The fact is, if people get hurt or die often, it gives the sport a bad name. It also keeps (some of) the idiots off the track. If people half-*** the safety issue, god only knows what else is jimmied together on their car. I don't need that clown running next to me.

I'm Willing to Bet You Don't Have To Worry Pulling Up Next To a FAST Car in Your Bracket...I Can Deal With MOST of the RULES Myself...I Am A TECH INSPECTOR.I Hate some of the rules AND agree that they are to build Companies more Business...I Think The Seat-Belt Every 2 is Ignorant For a Closed Bodied Car that is Stored Inside.I Believe that a Closed-Faced Helmit should be put on a HEAD Tech Man that Is on The RULES Committee and make them wear the dayum thing all day...They would change there mind of how BAD a Closed-Body Car needs them...The Diaper Is Just Good Sense...The Window Net And Trans Shields Needing Replaced EVER is Also A BAD Idea...
I Have Had SEVERAL SS Records....As One of the other members was saying we had Cars in the early 70's running Mid 8's that were NOT ANYTHING what the safety of a car is today and a HELLUVA lot less Wrecks...BUT We ALSO had people then that were REAL racers that weren't in it for the VANITY!!!!!There are too many people today that HAVE to have a THOUSAND Cubic Inch,5 Thousand HP,Car that is Street Legal(Per Say)and be able to take their buddies up town for a pack of smokes and a 6-Pak...It's just like paeople that say they won't race 1/8 mile OR 1/4 Mile(Whichever they don't do the most of)...A REAL RACER will Race ANYWHERE ANYTIME ANYTHING.............

SS

Cars from the "good old days" were running faster then they are now...what are you smoking...hey i don't like some of the rules either but they are there for a reason,EVERYONES safety if you don't want to follow them stay away from the track....as far as helmets you don't need a full-face till you get dowm to 9.99 or quicker

I'm Willing to Bet You Don't Have To Worry Pulling Up Next To a FAST Car in Your Bracket...

I don't race brackets. Thanks for the condescending attitude though.

I agree that the harness and scattershield recert rules are stupid. I got tired of messing with that crap, so I help other people burn their money.

Cars from the "good old days" were running faster then they are now...what are you smoking...

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but I'll beg to differ.

I don't know the status of that NHRA Stock index nonsense.

I'm talking about actual heads-up full bodied car racing. Check out an Outlaw 10" tire or NMCA race sometime.

In the NMRA finals last year (pretty restrictive for Outlaw racing), there were a ton of small block cars running low 7s and 200 mph on true 10.5" tires (not Ws). They're running almost that fast these days on drag radials.

I don't race brackets. Thanks for the condescending attitude though.

I agree that the harness and scattershield recert rules are stupid. I got tired of messing with that crap, so I help other people burn their money.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but I'll beg to differ.

I don't know the status of that NHRA Stock index nonsense.

I'm talking about actual heads-up full bodied car racing. Check out an Outlaw 10" tire or NMCA race sometime.

In the NMRA finals last year (pretty restrictive for Outlaw racing), there were a ton of small block cars running low 7s and 200 mph on true 10.5" tires (not Ws). They're running almost that fast these days on drag radials.

I'm agreeing with you!!!..muscle cars built today(and i'm not talking new technology ie:fuel injection,blowers,superchargers just cars built with what we have to use now,would out perform cars from the 60's and 70's any day...

back in the 60's NHRA said that all stick cars were required a dvive line loop by mid season because some cars would break a front U joint and pogo thought it was B/S but put one on so we would pass tech at the next race broke a front U joint I DO NOW BELIEVE in most of their safety rules

Just to stir it up a little, remember D. Earnhart Sr. was wearing an open-faced helmet, something for which Bill Simpson will kick himself in the *** forever. And as far as the 'good ole days' go for, I've been following all forms of racing since 1969, and I'm sure glad the body count is not now what it was back then.

Just to stir it up a little, remember D. Earnhart Sr. was wearing an open-faced helmet, something for which Bill Simpson will kick himself in the *** forever. And as far as the 'good ole days' go for, I've been following all forms of racing since 1969, and I'm sure glad the body count is not now what it was back then.

Oh...Sorry....I thought we were talking about Drag Racing Here...You're talking about a 200 MPH Circle Car...

Give me a Body Count on Persons that were in a Full-Bodied Car with a FOOTBALL Helmet on that were Killed because of Head Injuries in Drag Racing....

SS

The open face helmet did little to prevent his skull from being ripped from the spinal column.

I do think as everything else, rules will improve over time. Most are in reaction to accidents, and that's how we learn. IMO, it's not bad to have the tech guys doing their jobs either. I'm not looking down on any groups, I've done it all in terms of on and off track, and it's my choice. I for one changed my tune after the first time at a track. Everyone was supportive. No cops or traffic to look for. No getting the car out at 2am. No gambling with myself or others. I bought a trailer and started going there. It was better for me, even at 2.5hrs one way away. If someone is investing the cash to make a car as capable as a 10 second car I find it funny someone would complain about the safety rules.

I'm Willing to Bet You Don't Have To Worry Pulling Up Next To a FAST Car in Your Bracket...I Can Deal With MOST of the RULES Myself...I Am A TECH INSPECTOR.I Hate some of the rules AND agree that they are to build Companies more Business...I Think The Seat-Belt Every 2 is Ignorant For a Closed Bodied Car that is Stored Inside.I Believe that a Closed-Faced Helmit should be put on a HEAD Tech Man that Is on The RULES Committee and make them wear the dayum thing all day...They would change there mind of how BAD a Closed-Body Car needs them...The Diaper Is Just Good Sense...The Window Net And Trans Shields Needing Replaced EVER is Also A BAD Idea...
I Have Had SEVERAL SS Records....As One of the other members was saying we had Cars in the early 70's running Mid 8's that were NOT ANYTHING what the safety of a car is today and a HELLUVA lot less Wrecks...BUT We ALSO had people then that were REAL racers that weren't in it for the VANITY!!!!!There are too many people today that HAVE to have a THOUSAND Cubic Inch,5 Thousand HP,Car that is Street Legal(Per Say)and be able to take their buddies up town for a pack of smokes and a 6-Pak...It's just like paeople that say they won't race 1/8 mile OR 1/4 Mile(Whichever they don't do the most of)...A REAL RACER will Race ANYWHERE ANYTIME ANYTHING.............

SS

Very well said!.

-
Back