302 heads

-
If I were doing it for a lighter vehicle, I bet an RPM intake would be worth some power, and maybe not really lose much bottom end at all.

For your HP goals of 325 ish HP, any head will work. I'm not a fan of the 302's on ANY performance oriented build. Also, I don't think the piston sticking out 0.013 would work well with a closed chamber head (measure and see).

Many years ago I did some track testing of a lightly home ported 302 and a home ported J head (both by me) on my nearly stock 318 with a 150 N2O shot (this was in Colorado, thus the slow times). The J heads ran 13.9 on the 150 shot and the 302's (on the same motor about 2 weeks later) ran ~14.4...a half second slower....after that the 302's were sold.

302's and 340 heads shouldn't be compared. They really aren't comparable. The 302's are not a performance head like the 340 heads were. No big valves or big ports. Really the only thing the 302's have going for them is the closed chamber and that raises the compression a bit but not enough to make up for the increase in performance that you get with the bigger valves and better flow. The valves in the 302's are small as well as the ports. Nothing different than a 273 or 318 head. If you want a head to compare with the 302's test it against a 273 head or open chamber 318 head.

erry body piss'in on the 302s as always! 325 hp and driveability, low end torque i don't see a problem! do a search on here and there's a bunch of pissing and a few that actually tried them and done well even in moderate performance builds,and low end torque motors! i dont see a problem using them on a nonperformance driver!! and bare in mind, junkyard jewel mad 400 hp with bigger valves and porting. but that goes against the rule around here gotta spend more money on a mopar!! drink the kool-aid if you must!

went to the pull-a-part today to try to find some rocker arm assemblies for my engine.I only had 2 trucks to chose from,both had 318's,both had 302 casting heads,both were rusted and milky on the top end.I,ve herd that the 302's were bad about cracking,might have just been a coincidence but I'm out.still need some rockers.go searching on another warm day.:realcrazy:

Hey fellas, if you want to buy/sell please do it behind the scenes through a personal message. Thanks

my 302s on my 360 seem to work well, pocket ported, intake port matched and 1.60 ex valves,not saying j heads or 308s are better, but she hauls ***

360 heads bigger valves more flow/power and as you wanted to keep your CR low they would be your best bet.

I put 302 heads on my 318 milled them 0.45 (Stock valves and no porting) and it made a hell of a difference for sure way better than the stock 273 318 heads, Before i would barely get a little tire chirp, now Burns rubber until i let go of that pedal!!!!! But with that 340 i would go with some 360 heads.

:drama:pistons are .013 out of holes,I'll try to put some pics on and let you see if you can id the piston brand and relief size.this short block was probably built 10-15 years back and ben sitting in a warehouse every since,as far as I know it,s a stock cam.felpro 8553 head gaskets are in kit I have and that's what I plan on using.325 -350 H.P. would tickle me for what I use my cars for.I have a 71 nova with a GM create in it that puts out about 320 H.P. and it's a blast to drive and very trouble free.It's been driven 44000 miles in the last 7 years and will get anouther 5-8k put on her this year,I drive my cars, and burning the tires is a monthly thing not a daily one.anything over 350 H.P. is a waste for what I do with my cars.MP had that write-up about the 302 or 308 small valve heads stock off the shelf adding 25 H.P.to the stock 340 and I thought would work just fine for me, because I can go down to the local parts store and buy a set for around $500.00 bolt them on and go.I figgerd to good to be true, but I do like to see the different opps I get on here.the pistons are L2316 I think.

View attachment 1715284684

View attachment 1715284685

View attachment 1715284686
Nice nova, hey do people call that a nice Valiant, since they always call valiants a nova.

-
Back