318 30 over , Mild Cam, Performer Intake, which carb

-

Eworth

Reaction score
Hey folks,
Picking up a mid 70s rebuilt 318 that is 30 over, mild cam and Performer intake. Looking for an electric choke carb to install for a daily driver? Figuring 600 CFM, right?

Holley?
Edelbrock?
CFM?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

One vote for Holley 4160 600 cfm Electric Choke, THANKS Krazykuda ( you've been helpful in many posts and its appreciated)

You are welcome.

that one is the same as the standard 1850, but calibrated for a late 60's car, comes with electric choke, and is cheaper than the 1850...

I used them on my daily drivers.

Get the secondary spring assortment, then install the short yellow spring in the secondary opening pod. It will run great. don't forget to adjust the accelerator pump...

You are welcome.

that one is the same as the standard 1850, but calibrated for a late 60's car, comes with electric choke, and is cheaper than the 1850...

I used them on my daily drivers.

Get the secondary spring assortment, then install the short yellow spring in the secondary opening pod. It will run great. don't forget to adjust the accelerator pump...

Im leaning toward your suggestion. Plus, as a teen, I remember working on the ole 1850 and I'm sure I'd remember tuning once I got into it again. Thanks.

The 1850 works excellent in such applications like you described. Having used one myself, I liked it. It performed neck and neck with the AFB I also tried. Both at 600 cfm's, on a mild 318.

The Edelbrock is my favorite. Easy to tune. No transfer tubes and metering blocks when you take it apart.

OK then. Holley. Would I be better off with the 570 cfm Holley avenger? This engine won't see over 4500 rpm max

Go to your next/nearest auto swap meet, you'll be able to pick up an 600/650 vac secondary Holley as mentioned above for less than $100, kit it, and you'll luv it.

cheers

I have ,mild 318 on my Duster and i got Summit brand carb on it:
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-m08600vs

It is basically Holley desing, really easy to adjust and use, and cheaper.

4 years so far, -30f to +80f and it stars.

If you can buy used carb somewhere thats brobably best choise. and with saved movey you can buy AFR gauge!

Wideband AFR gauge is really good tuning tool if you aren,t really experienced.

So dont really matter what brand 600 cfm carb just tune it well

Hey folks,
Picking up a mid 70s rebuilt 318 that is 30 over, mild cam and Performer intake. Looking for an electric choke carb to install for a daily driver? Figuring 600 CFM, right?

Holley?
Edelbrock?
CFM?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

650 double pumper and I`d drill n tap the idle and hi speed bleeds along w/the ifr`s.........:happy1:

plug and play is exactly what I got from my 1405 edlebrock, works perfectly on my daily driver

Exactly. I was chasing a engine miss on my 273 and switched from the original AFB to the Edelbrock and it never left. I need to try a AVS on my teen.

I should add a bit more I found out before choosing the Demon 1900. I found out the engine I'm going to get this weekend has a spreadbore intake so square bore carbs are no longer on my list of options.

-
Back