318, 340, or 360?

-
The goals for my car are to do a smoky burnout all the way down the street.........that being said, I have a 340, but if it can be done with a 273, I say go for it.
Sure, put it in 10.91 starter gear, set the line-loc, and try to keep it straight: no problem. But the 4.10s will be a PITA at hiway speeds,lol.And the DP carb will suck gas around town, let me tell you.

OK AJ! I accept your challenge for you to build that 30 mph tire frying 273 Cuda.
You not allowed a MoPar engine in a Miata! No sense in putting a diamond in a frogs here to prove yourself.

definitely improve your suspension and convert your brakes to disc if not already disc.Engine choice would be determined by power level your after and budget... a 273 warmed up a bit with a 14 inch tire and 3.23 gears can be quite quick in a small 'cuda.These changes will make it comfortable and fun to drive.Go for big power if you are going to race it.

Yup..Many years ago I had a 65 Dart 273 4/speed with 4.56 gears and a few other go fast parts.That car surprised many,many Chevies who couldn't believe they got beat by a 273 even if it was warmed over.

Edits in the quote
OK AJ! I accept your challenge for you to build that 30 mpg tire frying 273 earlyCuda.
You not allowed a MoPar engine in a Miata! No sense in putting a diamond in a frog"s Butt here, to prove yourself.

Already sorta done it; 69 Dart GT auto.So already several hundred pounds over an earlyA. Well to be truthful it wasn't my car. The customer told me it broke into the 30s Imp., occasionally 32. So that'd be.8 x 32= 25.6USg. And this was a lo-C, 2bbl, single exhaust, with nothing but a freshening and a tune-up. So, pump it up, and add-ons and I see tire-frying as easy; I mean how much rubber can you put in an earlierA. Not much.
But hey, I've seen my 367 get over 30mpgUS too........
It's no secret; With the right combo;just lean 'em out til they slow down, and then add timing.Repeat until it becomes undriveable or breaks.
The right combo is not a 292/108 cam!
The right combo is a lightweight car with a low rolling resistance, and a small cd, with a manual trans and with a very small final drive. Then drive it as close to 65 as possible but at an rpm where the engine is not pushing charge back up into the intake. Engineer it right and you get a winner.I've run Final Drives as low as 1.53. But there comes a point in every engine-combo, when less rpm starts to cost mileage. But I think it's pretty low. 1235@65 was too low.
For my 270cam combo, 1.84 was about the limit for 65 mph@1486. It got the same mileage at 85 mph@1943 rpm.I figured the engine efficiency was climbing at the same rate that wind-resistance was eating up power. In the end I settled on 2.02FD.
I currently run 3.55x .78=2.77, so 65=2236 for me. And this 276/110 cam with a 750DP now, is not mileage-friendly. At all!,lol. But the car is no longer my DD.

Last edited:
In my '79 Body, the best I did with the stock drivetrain was 20 here on the island though it did eek out 22 out of state for some reason. All in all, no complains on a 3800lbs. Loaded car.

'79/360/2bbl converted to a 4bbl Carter/Fed-Mogual (sp?) 600 & a trap door air cleaner on top of a '79 TQ intake fired by a orange box and JY truck distributor w/vacuum advance. 2-1/4 dual exhaust off the exhaust manifolds into an H pipe. State law back then required cats, so, twin cats were installed, exhaust to the bumper.
904/8-1/4/2.76 on 235/60/15's.

(For the novice reading.
The Lean Burn Ignition doesn't have vacuum advance distributor, the air cleaner mounted computer does the job instead.)

I installed a MSD it didn't grab any meaningful gains in mileage worth noting. It did run better, cleaner, crisper.

I do wish I had more time on it. But all good things pass.

How does Imp. compare to U.S. gallon in mileage?
I say no way to 30 MILES per gallon out of a 367 cube engine. While overdrive would be a huge help, I don't know how much actual mileage I'd gain.

Last edited:
Our gallons are bigger at 160oz; compared to yours at 128.
Ours are thus 160/128=plus 25%
Yours are thus 128/160= 80% of ours
Believe whatever you want to, I do. Just cuz I believe it doesn't mean it's true. And many many things I once believed were true, I now no longer do. But it's good that you question. Question everything.
Question science, geology, astrology, biology all those ologies. Question the church. Question flouride and chlorine, and innoculations. Question your government; do they really have your best interests at heart.How come kids get cancer.
How come our teeners got 20 mpgs in the 70s,and nearly 50 years later, it's still no better? I thought technology was supposed to make everything better, faster,easier. So now we are seeing compression ratios marching up past 11/1 again, And computers controlling nearly everything we do, yet our world is crashing into a portApottie.
Gone is freedom of speech, your 5th amendment is no longer the cornerstone it once was. Your government,oops let's not go there.
Look,it only takes something like 40 horsepower to propel a typical car down the road at 60 mph. A teener can probably make that at idle. So why rev it to 2200plus, more than three times what it needs to? Think outside the box.
Think . In my quest for mileage, I ran the A833 od box and a GVOD behind it, and simply swapped in rear gears until the mileage peaked. OH yeah the 7 useable gears were pretty cool too. 3.09-2.41-1.67-1.30-1.00-.78-.54 with splits of .78-.69-.78-.77-.78-.71
If you run that with a 2.76 rear,double OD is like running a FD of 1.49, which makes 65=1200rpm, or about half of what a teener normally runs.
1st is like running 3.21s in first with a 2.66 box
1st over is like runing 3.48s in second with a 2.66
2nd is like 3.29s in third with a 2.66 box
2nd over is like 3.59s in fourth
and 3 gears to go.
With so many gears I tried a buncha chunks I had accumulated. I liked 4.30s but the 3.91s were about the best; a 12.08 starter and a 2.11cruiser, and 5 in-betweeners . But I blew those up, and the cam died, and so the project evolved once again. Different cam, different gears and different trans. And gone were the days of point-to-point mileage in the 30s.

-
Back