318& 360 la

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
Need help with figure what distributor I need . I keep asking Napa and they keep getting me points ones not electronic ignition . I believe both my cars had this electronic ignition from factory . They have the orange mopar box in them bur also have the resistor still .

The year of the motor is the key to the right distributor. Tell them you need it for 73 or newer motor. It was not used consistently in all years in the onset of the electronic distributors.

The year of the motor is the key to the right distributor. Tell them you need it for 73 or newer motor. It was not used consistently in all years in the onset of the electronic distributors.
Yeah I did that as they are a 73 318 challenger . and 74 360 dart , still come up with points . And all ones I’m seeing on eBay are the convert to Chevy hei style

I don't know what to tell you. Honest. There are no real parts stores, nor are there seemingly any real parts "persons" anymore. I sold parts for 15 years. "Before the internet."

my napa doesnt even show an distriubtors available. why do you need one?

I will look in the shop Monday
I shop have good used OEM ones for both cars.
I can test them on my car and sell they for
$50.00 each

Last edited:
Here you go, 1973 Dodge Dart 318 electronic Distributors. Have had good
luck with these Cardones.

Screenshot_20220710-010520_Firefox.jpg

Can order one of these 1973 Electronic Coils to go with it.

Screenshot_20220710-013257_Firefox.jpg

20220710_013555.jpg

For same '73 Dart 318, as the Cardone electronic distributor.

OK here you go whatever distributor you end up with make sure it has the right or close curve. Napa is like rock auto they have a listing that covers around a ten year spread so the curve is a real crap shoot and if it is electronic or point also. Not a big fan of the "kits" May be authorised by MP but made overseas, No idea of the curve and also they are plauged with ECU's that fail fast. Also the curve in them are in really fast great for the strip, not so good for a street car. Hope it helps.

Best to get a 72 or 73 340 distributor used or get a rebuilt one from halifaxhops for either engine. it is the brain of your engine, don't cheap out.

Yeah don’t care about price that much . Want it to work and be drop in . I don’t want to rewire all this . Each of those summit kits says stuff needs re worked and retrofitted .

Drop in good one for a stock ish 360 & 318 , both have headers and intake and 4bbls . But not cam or anything like that

Yeah don’t care about price that much . Want it to work and be drop in . I don’t want to rewire all this . Each of those summit kits says stuff needs re worked and retrofitted .
Agree that's BS and locks you into their system.
Drop in good one for a stock ish 360 & 318 , both have headers and intake and 4bbls . But not cam or anything like that
73 318 challenger . and 74 360 dart
So here's the deal. If its truly stock, then you want the exact part number in the Service and Part manuals. They will have specific distributor curves to work with that specific engine's set up. Then you set initial timing and fuel mix to factory specs and that's it.

However, someone who put headers and aftermarket four barrels on has already somewhat altered/defeated the emissions setup. Also a four barrel will allow combustion efficiency to increase in the higher rpm ranges (roughly 2800 rpm up); therefore will not need or want the timing to continue advancingin that rpm range as quickly as a two barrel.

Your best bet off the shelf may be the Chrysler built Mopar Performance/Direct Connection distributors. Sometimes these are available used but you won't know if they've been mucked with. You can ask Halifaxhop what he has, and/or look in the for sale section to see what he has listed. Howver he has more than is listed.

They have the orange mopar box in them but also have the resistor still .
Chrysler painted a number of boxes orange, but it may be a Mopar Performance ECU. If the part number is on it, that will be a clue.

Both the '73 and the '74 originally came with two resistors because the originally factory ECU used a 5 ohm resistor to help control the ECU's power supply. Later ECUs only need the 1/2 ohm resistor.

Your best bet off the shelf may be the Chrysler built Mopar Performance/Direct Connection distributors. Sometimes these are available used but you won't know if they've been mucked with. You can ask Halifaxhop what he has, and/or look in the for sale section to see what he has listed. Howver he has more than is listed.

Forgot to mention that with the MP distributor, you can not use the factory '73/74 ignition tune up specs.
a. If the OSCA valve is still connected, bypass it.
b. Set the 360 initial timing so it is something around 10 to 16* at 650 rpm, and the 318 may be fine with as little as 5* at 650 if its not been cammed up.
or/ follow the directions in the old MP kit, then live with the idle timing where-ever it lands. I posted a copy of those directions at the end of my How To article about adjusting vacuum advance.
c. Carb tuning for idle. For a holley style carb, see the posts here about keeping the transfer slot exposure within its working range at idle. I've posted photos of that here on FABO.

I have a few stock used electronic distributors, but, as it has been mentioned, you may have to change or modify the advance curves to match your engine and performance needs.

-
Back