318 build #2 "cost minded" for the '74 Duster

-
Top of page 9, so I'll do a quick parts list so far.

'94 5.2 magnum engine
* 20-745-9 Comp Cam Roller
* Hughes Spring Kit with 1110 springs (springs/locks/retainers)
* Weiand Stealth Intake 8022

Top of page 9, so I'll do a quick parts list so far.

'94 5.2 magnum engine
* 20-745-9 Comp Cam Roller
* Hughes Spring Kit with 1110 springs (springs/locks/retainers)
* Weiand Stealth Intake 8022
What is the difference in the 8007 and 8022 weiand intakes? Just wondering why the 8022 was your choice.

What is the difference in the 8007 and 8022 weiand intakes? Just wondering why the 8022 was your choice.
Besides the 8007 (which I really like that intake) usually having the spread bore, I believe the runners are a little smaller. I've used the 8007 and liked it. I just think the 5.2 might benefit from the Stealth. Nothing proven yet, of course.

Besides the 8007 (which I really like that intake) usually having the spread bore, I believe the runners are a little smaller. I've used the 8007 and liked it. I just think the 5.2 might benefit from the Stealth. Nothing proven yet, of course.
Just FYI Chrysler Power magazine had an article about adapting the LA intake to magnum heads back in the 90's. They made some adapters out of some small tube/pipe stock, cut it to match the angle on the intake on one end, flat on the top, slotted the intake bolt holes, and used some longer bolts to put it all together.

Just FYI Chrysler Power magazine had an article about adapting the LA intake to magnum heads back in the 90's. They made some adapters out of some small tube/pipe stock, cut it to match the angle on the intake on one end, flat on the top, slotted the intake bolt holes, and used some longer bolts to put it all together.
Thanks! And now there are a few different avenues of using the LA bolt pattern, including using LA heads if one so chooses.

Thanks! And now there are a few different avenues of using the LA bolt pattern, including using LA heads if one so chooses.
Just my two cents, but I would run the magnum heads all else being equal. Stock form you get the flow of the old J heads with better velocity, and the closed chamber like the 302's to keep compression up. Best of both worlds for a street 318.

Just my two cents, but I would run the magnum heads all else being equal. Stock form you get the flow of the old J heads with better velocity, and the closed chamber like the 302's to keep compression up. Best of both worlds for a street 318.
Or 920's from a late 66 and 67. Those could really use some bigger valves. and bigger ports and some bowl work done, and.................

920 (2).jpg

Add 1.88 valves (or bigger if possible, IDK4 sure) leave the exhaust valve alone, give it a full porting, let’er rip potato chip!

But they only go so far. They would be a great 318 head and OK & fine for a 360, but I don’t remember seeing hearing that they go much above 240/250 cfm.

IIRC, I think @MOPAROFFICIAL ported some of these or other like 318 heads. He could tell you what he has gotten out of them. Also how they would compare to work done on a Magnum head. Equal work/flow or what it takes for each to have equal flow and who took more work to get there.

Or 920's from a late 66 and 67. Those could really use some bigger valves. and bigger ports and some bowl work done, and.................

View attachment 1716003341
Yup those would work as well. I was trying to keep my recommendation within the bucks down approach as @318willrun said from the start. Guess it comes down to what heads do you have on hand, and how much work are you able to do yourself to them to keep costs down.
WWAJD (what would average joe do?)

Yup those would work as well. I was trying to keep my recommendation within the bucks down approach as @318willrun said from the start. Guess it comes down to what heads do you have on hand, and how much work are you able to do yourself to them to keep costs down.
Yep, probably best with Magnum heads. No issues with valve train and they are good heads unless they are cracked. That doesn't seem to be a huge issue either.

Here is the cam card for the cam we are using. We are also using the Hughes spring kit with the HUG 1110 springs. Kit comes with springs, retainers, locks. Also from hughes we bought the cam snout extension kit so we can run an eccentric.
View attachment 1715997713
I bought that 1110 kit. I'm happy with it.
IIRC I paid around $200 for it

And honestly, sometimes what seems like the logical cost savings can turn into an opening for lots of other options. On this build, we have no "specific" budget, but we are keeping "cost" in mind.

Why did t you say you already had the intake?
I guessed I missed it?

Yep, probably best with Magnum heads. No issues with valve train and they are good heads unless they are cracked. That doesn't seem to be a huge issue either.
Here’s the thing…. Without taking the heads off, you’ll never know if there cracked. When found cracked, there was no issue in performance, poor mileage or lights on the dash saying there is an issue. Everyone says the head is cracked just at the mention it’s a Magnum head. Period. I have not yet had a case of a cracked head through several engine ranging between 80K and over 300K.

If they crack so badly and cause issues, I have not yet read it or heard of it at a shop.

Poor performance due to cracks in the 100% for sure there cracked head crowd?
Hogwash I say.

Why did t you say you already had the intake?
I guessed I missed it?
1st post, I suggested we'd most likely use the Stealth. We had others in the mix we could use too - all which we had available.

Last edited:
Cracked magnum heads are common, but it doesn't seem to effect anything. Yet, nobody feels good building a cracked head. Even me.

I took my car to Milan Dragway a couple weeks ago and I'm totally embarrassed on how the car performed. They are going to the 1/8 mile racing, which I have never done before. And I don't like it either. Anyway it ran a 10.65 at 77.5 mph. The 60' was really bad at 2.85. I blame it on the 12 year old 245/60/15 BFG tires that are hard and spin very easy. The car is a 340 with a 360 crankshaft and Magnum heads with 340 exhaust manifolds. So it's nothing special maybe 300 horsepower but I expected to be quicker than that.

.030 - 340? Hummm, a Magnum headed 372.

The BFG’s are drivers tires at best. Being old makes it a bummer at the track. Once you get good rubber on there, you’ll chop that ‘60 down like a lumber jack.

I took my car to Milan Dragway a couple weeks ago and I'm totally embarrassed on how the car performed. They are going to the 1/8 mile racing, which I have never done before. And I don't like it either. Anyway it ran a 10.65 at 77.5 mph. The 60' was really bad at 2.85. I blame it on the 12 year old 245/60/15 BFG tires that are hard and spin very easy. The car is a 340 with a 360 crankshaft and Magnum heads with 340 exhaust manifolds. So it's nothing special maybe 300 horsepower but I expected to be quicker than that.
MPH you showed would probably get you 97 mph in the 1/4 and a low 14. Your 10.65 would probably be a lower 9 in the 1/8 with traction.

I ran 9.75's with my 73 Challenger. 340 car but a 73 small valve heads with a T quad.

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I forgot to mention that the trans is a 904 with 5400 rpm governor and low gear set with a Trans go kit. The torque converter is a 2800 stall 9 1/2" unit. It also has a 3:55 rear gear. I had a handful just to keep going straight with manual steering and there was rubber on my tail light lenses. And I am looking for some new tires!

Hey Bob! Looking forward to the report later.
Be safe with that beautiful machine will ya?!?!?!

Take it from the slowest stroker on the Internet lol... 50% of the people on this forum have absolutely no clue as to how fast the car will actually go in the quarter mile.. and those people are quite delusional on their estimates....
Here's my guesstimate...
Out of 50,000 members here with cars I would say $25,000 or more ain't going to see 16 seconds on the quarter mile...
20,000 are going to see 14s and 13s....
About 3,000 are going to see 12s...
About $1, 000 11s...
And maybe a thousand that'll be under 10..
And the only guy that I know that has a duster that's in the low nines and chasing high 8s right now laughs at me when I talk about talking on this forum LOL.... He's too busy making his car go fast to be out here talking about it...

-
Back